From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Mack restructures
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:39:08 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:39 UTC

RM: So, if this is not an extension, he's giving up money?

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Eight-time Pro-Bowl DE and former NFL Defensive Player of the Year
Khalil Mack will remain a Los Angeles Charger this season and free up
salary-cap space for the team by agreeing to restructure his deal, per
sources. Mike Williams leaves, Mack stays.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1767981888524767264

Re: Mack restructures

<l5ealhFnknhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4397&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4397

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: Mack restructures
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:47:09 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:47 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:

> RM: So, if this is not an extension, he's giving up money?
>

> Adam Schefter  @AdamSchefter
>
> Eight-time Pro-Bowl DE and former NFL Defensive Player of the Year
> Khalil Mack will remain a Los Angeles Charger this season and free up
> salary-cap space for the team by agreeing to restructure his deal, per
> sources. Mike Williams leaves, Mack stays.
>
> https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1767981888524767264

So Popper pointed to an earlier article about how Mack could restructure
by adding void years:

Mack has one year left on his deal for 2024. He has a $17.55 million
base salary and a $5.5 million roster bonus due March 16. Those figures,
combined with his previously prorated signing bonus from last
offseason’s restructure and a $200,000 workout bonus, add up to his
$38.517 million cap hit.

The Chargers could add two void years onto Mack’s contract for 2025 and
2026. They could convert about $22 million of his salary and roster
bonus into a signing bonus. That signing bonus would be prorated — or
divided evenly — over the three years, 2024 and then the void years in
2025 and 2026. That would create about $14.7 million in space for 2024.

Mack would play the 2024 season. His contract would void next offseason.
The Chargers would be left with that $14.7 million as a dead-money
charge in 2025. And this is an important point: These cap mechanisms can
create immediate space, but teams will always have to wear the charges
at some points. It is a constant weighing of short-term versus long-term
goals.

--Robin

Re: Mack restructures

<87msr2oso6.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=4398&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4398

From: eddiegrove@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 12:09:13 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:09 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:

> RM: So, if this is not an extension, he's giving up money?

Either that, or they are adding years to the contract that are
automatically voided after this year. I'm not sure whether that counts
as an extension, and I'm not sure how that would affect a further
extension in the future.

It would be very strange if he is giving up money, although if his agent
has contacted every team in the leage in the past two days and there was
no interest I suppose it is possible.