Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 17:57:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Rumored college football rules changes
From: don.p.del.grande@gmail.com (The NOTBCS Guy)
 by: The NOTBCS Guy - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 00:57 UTC

> > > I thought it was a 15-yard UC.
> > In the NFL, it is - and that also applies if calling a "first" timeout to ice a kicker when you don't have any remaining. However, what is supposed to happen is, the timeout request is supposed to be ignored, and the penalty enforced after the play.
> I would not be surprised if that happens in college too. Because, worse, you just gave the kicker TWO shots at it, PLUS FIFTEEN YARDS on the second....

The NCAA rulebook has just been released, and there is no penalty listed for trying to call consecutive timeouts, just as there is no penalty listed for trying to call a fourth timeout in a half. Presumably, if the officials signal one by mistake, it is treated as an inadvertent whistle.
Note that the ban on consecutive timeouts also includes (a) not being able to call a second timeout in the same dead ball period, even if the other team called one after you did, and (b) not being able to call a second one if they tried running a play but it was blown dead (e.g. for a false start).

sport / rec.sport.football.college / Re: Rumored college football rules changes