From: xyzzy.dude@gmail.com (xyzzy)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: Orange Man Bad
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 18:07:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:L+l9jgXnMmbk1jJ948fJAe06TZ8=
 by: xyzzy - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 18:07 UTC

Almost every line in this essay hits the mark. So much so that I’m not
going to quote the “best parts” because the best parts are all of it.

The Orange Man is bad
Cringe but true
MATTHEW YGLESIAS
JUN 13

The central political fact of our era is that Donald Trump is a total piece
of shit and scumbag. It long ago became “cringe” to center one’s politics
on this point, but it remains fundamentally true.

That, more than anything else, is what his recent indictment by Special
Counsel Jack Smith reminds us. When the matter of the missing classified
documents improperly stored at Mar-a-Lago first came to light, it raised
the specter of a politically motivated inquiry or an effort to hang charges
on Trump that others had been allowed to slide on. In particular, it raised
the question of whether other former high-ranking officials of the United
States government had brought documents home and never returned them. And
the answer turned out to be yes — both former vice president Mike Pence and
current president Joe Biden (though, as I understand it, in his capacity as
a former vice president) did something structurally similar on a smaller
scale. But they both said sorry, they cooperated fully with investigators,
they returned the documents promptly, and that was that.

In an earlier iteration of Trump scandals, I would have leapt to the
conclusion that his refusal to follow the Pence/Biden model is a clear sign
that he’s guilty of something darker and more nefarious.

Which he might be. But having seen a few of these play out now, I’m open to
the possibility that he’s just a piece of shit scumbag. He’s stubborn, he
doesn’t think the rules apply to him, he doesn’t like other people telling
him what to do, and he thinks that being charged helps him stay at the
center of attention and neuter his intraparty rivals, so fuck it. Trump
simply stands head and shoulders above the average American politician in
his willingness to take things to the edge, to flout the law, and to act
with reckless disdain for the consequences his actions will have for
anyone. The law is important, and the fact that this particular act of
scumbaggery is apparently illegal gives it a special significance. But for
my money, the most morally shocking thing about Trump’s post-presidency is
still the extent to which he sullenly refused to be a constructive player
in promoting Covid vaccination in 2021.

A very large number of people — Trump voters — got sicker than they might
have because of this, and a bunch of them died. And I think that’s a
crucial fact about Trump that tends to be overlooked despite the volume of
coverage he attracts. His efforts to supposedly owns the libs mostly
involve deceiving and betraying his own supporters.

Trump markets himself as a down-and-dirty fighter who champions the right’s
causes through his refusal to play the game with kid gloves. In truth, he’s
a sub-par politician who’s not good at winning elections or advancing a
legislative agenda or convincing people of conservative ideas.

He’s a con man, and conservatives are the marks.

You can’t con an honest man
I used to enjoy a BBC show called “Hustle” about a team of high-end con
artists. One of the structural challenges of a series like that is how to
make a gang of criminals seem sympathetic. Scamming lonely and confused old
people out of their meager savings wouldn’t make for a very entertaining
show.

So they introduce the idea that you see in this clip, that the best marks
are people who are themselves shady and dishonest. The mark’s own
dishonesty makes them less likely to go to the authorities and less likely
to ask questions about why the setup they’re involved in is so unorthodox.
The whole premise is that you are participating in a shady scheme, so when
it starts to seem like you’re enmeshed in a shady scheme, you don’t notice
that you are the victim.

And that, to me, is Trump.

His con is not that he’s convinced conservatives that he’s honest. It’s
that he’s convinced conservatives that his lying and shamelessness is a
superpower that he deploys on behalf of their issues and causes. And it is
true that he has at times deployed dishonesty and shamelessness to advance
conservative causes. But much more frequently, he deploys dishonesty and
shamelessness to advance himself, often at the expense of conservative
causes.

The awful events of January 6, 2021, remain the core example of this.

What happened that day was less a real effort to seize power in a putsch
than a bit of kayfabe that got out of hand because the crowd took the shoot
too seriously. The election denial bit has been nothing but a disaster for
GOP candidates and conservative politics. But it’s served the particular
aim of keeping Donald J. Trump at the top ranks of the 2024 primary polling
extremely well. Conservatives have never managed to adopt as conventional
wisdom the much simpler explanation that in 2020, a really disorganized and
incompetent president blew a very winnable election, even though this level
of chaos was typical of his whole presidency.

And because the authentic conservative position is that 2020 was somehow
“rigged,” Ron DeSantis even years later only dares allude vaguely to the
idea that maybe actually what happened is Trump fucked up.

Unhinged moderation
The key thing, as Jonathan Chait writes, is that Trump has managed to
convince huge numbers of conservatives that all of his negative attributes
are actually positive because they signal ruthlessness, and ruthlessness is
what Republicans need.

In recent years, the Republican Party’s long rightward march on policy has
ground to a halt, and it has instead radicalized on a different dimension:
ruthlessness. Attributing their political travails to weakness, Republicans
converged on the belief that their only chance to pull back from the
precipice of final defeat is to discard their scruples. A willingness to do
or say anything to win was the essence of Trump’s appeal, an amorality some
Republicans embraced gleefully and others reluctantly.

There was a Cold War cliché about the various rightist dictators the U.S.
government supported: “he may be a sonofabitch but he’s our sonofabitch.”

But the idea that Trump’s ruthless sonofabitch qualities are important to
his electoral success is a wild misperception. The genuinely savvy thing
Trump did was stop talking about cutting Social Security and Medicare.
Pretty much any political party anywhere in the world could gain votes by
ditching its most-unpopular stances. Mitt Romney could have done this in
2012 and he probably would’ve won. Some non-Trump nominee could have done
it in 2020 and probably could have won. Joe Biden’s original debt ceiling
strategy was premised on the idea that Kevin McCarthy was going to demand
entitlement cuts and Biden could hammer him. But McCarthy just… didn’t.

I like to think of this kind of popularism as true ruthlessness and am
constantly imploring various Democrats to give some ground on policy, win
elections, and make Republicans pay for being so nutty.

Trump did a version of that and it worked. But he also ran this other
bizarre con where he got Republicans to go along with the idea that it was
fine if he ran a sleazy hotel where corporate lobbyists and foreign
governments could make direct cash payments to the president of the United
States. Or that he could discuss affairs of state with private club
members. Or steal secret government documents with impunity. Because he
sold them all on the idea that Donald Trump personally breaking all kinds
of legal and ethics rules for his own personal gain is a form of ruthless
partisanship.

But it’s obviously the opposite. Hunter Biden was ruthlessly trying to make
money for himself, but his dad and the Democratic Party would be better off
if that weren’t the case. The way you practice ruthless partisanship is to
conduct yourself with a lot of integrity because that helps your allies.
The Republicans, though, are essentially led by their grifter figure, who
has talked them into idolizing him rather than feeling embarrassed by him.

Grifts inside grifts
As soon as Trump’s indictment was announced, Rep. Elise Stefanik hit up her
email list to raise money for an Official Trump Defense Fund.

Except as Jennifer Bendery reports, she’s basically running a scam.

If you click the link, you get a prompt to donate money. If you read the
fine print on the prompt, you’ll see that it defaults to a split where
Stefanik gets 99% of the money and just 1% goes to Trump. It’s also set up,
by default, as a recurring monthly donation. So you could think you’re
giving $100 to Trump but actually donate nearly $1,200 a year to Elise
Stefanik.

There are absolutely shady players operating in the Democratic Party
ecosystem, just as there are in any system with lots of money flying
around. But the cons are much closer to the seats of power on the GOP side.
There are a lot of reasons for that, but the core reason is Trump himself
and his distortionary impact: he brings grifters and opportunists in his
wake, he drives out people of character and integrity, and he forces
everyone else to twist around his presence. A guy like McCarthy now has to
deal with the reality that a huge part of his job is managing his
relationship with a colleague who doesn’t seem to have any principled
commitment to the political party they are trying to lead together. Someone
like J.D. Vance who’s sincere but also ambitious sees that the way forward
is to become this absurd make-believe Trump acolyte.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Orange Man Bad

<u6ats7$3mb60$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=67666&group=rec.sport.football.college#67666

From: kolson@freedomnet.org (Ken Olson)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: Re: Orange Man Bad
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 19:24:54 -0400
 by: Ken Olson - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:24 UTC

On 6/13/2023 2:07 PM, xyzzy wrote:

> [...]
> any topic.
>
> To me, this seems like a bad situation. Trump is corrupt. He’s incompetent.
> He acknowledges no responsibilities or laws or anything above his
> self-interest. And he’s managed to convince the conservative movement in
> America that this is good and that somehow the “real issue” is some kind of
> half-imagined petty hypocrisy on the other side. But the only way out of it
> is for Republicans to wake up and realize that Trump is bad for them, too.
> Maybe this prosecution will somehow fix everything, but it seems
> overwhelmingly likely that Trump (especially given a friendly judge) will
> be able to drag this out through Election Day. And while the specific
> details we’re learning are hilarious and shocking, nobody is really
> surprised at this point. He’s a bad person. But it’s Republicans who need

<u6c94e$ouc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=67673&group=rec.sport.football.college#67673

From: xyzzy.dude@gmail.com (xyzzy)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 11:43:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cSlhEXCm2NEMJKnS2laEMw9mRlE=
 by: xyzzy - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 11:43 UTC

Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> He acknowledges no responsibilities or laws or anything above his
>> self-interest. And he’s managed to convince the conservative movement in
>> America that this is good and that somehow the “real issue” is some kind of
>> half-imagined petty hypocrisy on the other side. But the only way out of it
>> is for Republicans to wake up and realize that Trump is bad for them, too.
>> Maybe this prosecution will somehow fix everything, but it seems
>> overwhelmingly likely that Trump (especially given a friendly judge) will
>> be able to drag this out through Election Day. And while the specific
>> details we’re learning are hilarious and shocking, nobody is really
>> surprised at this point. He’s a bad person. But it’s Republicans who need
>> to do something about it.
>>

> Trump isn't one of them and doesn't play their games. That's why the

<791248de-1a64-4993-8bc0-bf3388d06949n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=67697&group=rec.sport.football.college#67697

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 15:11:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: darkstar7646@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 22:11 UTC

On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 4:43:16 AM UTC-7, xyzzy wrote:

> Right, that’s exactly the point of the essay. He doesn’t play their games
> like “caring about what’s legal” or “looking out for his supporters” or
> “getting policies implemented” or even “winning elections”. He plays his
> own games which are simply “grift your base” and “what’s in it for me”.

How many people believe that IS America? Up to and including the elimination of anyone not of enough purpose to so exploit?

Mike

Re: Orange Man Bad

<df429350-d88f-4def-a61e-a5d9f0ed4bc0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=67719&group=rec.sport.football.college#67719

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 15:13:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: mianderson79@gmail.com (michael anderson)
 by: michael anderson - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 22:13 UTC

I don't like Trump(actually I actively dislike him), but matthew yglesias is just terrible. Literally one of the
worst writers/'journalists' out there.....and that's saying something.

sport / rec.sport.football.college / Re: Orange Man Bad