Rube Walker: "Hey, Yogi, what time is it?" Yogi Berra: "You mean now?"

sport / rec.sport.football.college / Re: Forget the choice to receive,

SubjectAuthor
* Forget the choice to receive,JGibson
`* Re: Forget the choice to receive,Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
 `- Re: Forget the choice to receive,JGibson

1
Forget the choice to receive,

<ca31bc65-c286-4dcf-9298-129c91cdac4cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=69931&group=rec.sport.football.college#69931

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:34:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Forget the choice to receive,
From: james.m.gibson@gmail.com (JGibson)
 by: JGibson - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 16:34 UTC

I'm actually wondering if Kyle Shanahan would have been better going for the TD than the FG on 4th down. They were at the Kansas City 9. Obviously, not getting the TD allows the Chiefs to win on a FG, but part of the reason you go for it deep in the opponents' territory is that upon failure, they have to start deep in their own territory. Frequently, this actually leads to a punt and great field position on your next possession.

It was 4th & 4. Yeah - I'm thinking that this was actually the bigger strategic mistake than receiving the ball first, which seems like the right call to me. However, had that backfired and KC wins on a FG, Shanahan would have been even more slammed in the media than he has already for what I think are completely bizarre things (like the suggestions that he should have rammed C(3.5ypc)Mc into the line more or given the ball to KC in OT).

Re: Forget the choice to receive,

<slrnuss2pu.1j7qu.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=69934&group=rec.sport.football.college#69934

From: constance@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: Re: Forget the choice to receive,
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:01:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:01 UTC

On 2024-02-14, JGibson <james.m.gibson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm actually wondering if Kyle Shanahan would have been better going
> for the TD than the FG on 4th down. They were at the Kansas City 9.
> Obviously, not getting the TD allows the Chiefs to win on a FG, but
> part of the reason you go for it deep in the opponents' territory is
> that upon failure, they have to start deep in their own territory.
> Frequently, this actually leads to a punt and great field position on
> your next possession.

I was thinking the same thing myself, though I am sure the strong and
accurate leg of Butker was a big consideration.

> It was 4th & 4. Yeah - I'm thinking that this was actually the bigger
> strategic mistake than receiving the ball first, which seems like the
> right call to me. However, had that backfired and KC wins on a FG,
> Shanahan would have been even more slammed in the media than he has
> already for what I think are completely bizarre things (like the
> suggestions that he should have rammed C(3.5ypc)Mc into the line more
> or given the ball to KC in OT).

It's always a crapshoot. A bounce one way or the other and a different
hero is anointed...

--
In a system of free trade and free markets poor countries -- and poor
people -- are not poor because others are rich. Indeed, if others became

Re: Forget the choice to receive,

<28017cc9-f003-4468-835b-749d25cf70e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/sport/article-flat.php?id=69936&group=rec.sport.football.college#69936

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 10:03:11 -0800 (PST)
From: james.m.gibson@gmail.com (JGibson)
 by: JGibson - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:03 UTC

On Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 8:01:55 AM UTC-5, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2024-02-14, JGibson <james.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm actually wondering if Kyle Shanahan would have been better going
> > for the TD than the FG on 4th down. They were at the Kansas City 9.
> > Obviously, not getting the TD allows the Chiefs to win on a FG, but
> > part of the reason you go for it deep in the opponents' territory is
> > that upon failure, they have to start deep in their own territory.
> > Frequently, this actually leads to a punt and great field position on
> > your next possession.
> I was thinking the same thing myself, though I am sure the strong and
> accurate leg of Butker was a big consideration.
> > It was 4th & 4. Yeah - I'm thinking that this was actually the bigger
> > strategic mistake than receiving the ball first, which seems like the
> > right call to me. However, had that backfired and KC wins on a FG,
> > Shanahan would have been even more slammed in the media than he has
> > already for what I think are completely bizarre things (like the
> > suggestions that he should have rammed C(3.5ypc)Mc into the line more
> > or given the ball to KC in OT).
> It's always a crapshoot. A bounce one way or the other and a different
> hero is anointed...

Yeah, one fumble or something at the end or a failed 4th down by KC, and Shanahan is a genius. Instead, he is getting excessively criticized for a game that came right down to the wire. I'll tell you what: I'd certainly trade the Broncos' last 7 years for the 49ers' last 7 years.