From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Orange Belt Trail to be built
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:12:34 -0500
 by: Catrike Ryder - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:12 UTC

I've been reading little blurbs about this for several months. Now
it's made a Tampa newspaper. There's already nearly 200 miles of
mostly interconnected non-urban/suburban asphalt trail within an hours
drive from me, and more currently under construction. I hope I'm still
riding when this one gets built.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A proposed walking and biking trail in Pasco
County is to be called the Orange Belt Trail.

It would run 37 miles across the county from Trinity to Trilby. It
would follow the route once used by the Orange Belt Railway.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/proposed-orange-belt-trail-in-pasco-county-would-have-a-route-once-powered-by-steam

Re: Orange Belt Trail to be built

<CaMuN.5518258$ee1.1654986@fx16.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=100453&group=rec.bicycles.tech#100453

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Orange Belt Trail to be built
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 12:31:30 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 12:31 UTC

Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

> I've been reading little blurbs about this for several months. Now
> it's made a Tampa newspaper. There's already nearly 200 miles of
> mostly interconnected non-urban/suburban asphalt trail within an hours
> drive from me, and more currently under construction. I hope I'm still
> riding when this one gets built.
>
> ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A proposed walking and biking trail in Pasco
> County is to be called the Orange Belt Trail.
>
> It would run 37 miles across the county from Trinity to Trilby. It
> would follow the route once used by the Orange Belt Railway.
>
> https://www.fox13news.com/news/proposed-orange-belt-trail-in-pasco-county-would-have-a-route-once-powered-by-steam

Will it connect to others? Even with leisure trails that’s always useful.

Roger Merriman

Re: Orange Belt Trail to be built

<264nri52ldpssudfpu1vit1d55tb0r1s04@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=100454&group=rec.bicycles.tech#100454

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 08:28:25 -0500
 by: Catrike Ryder - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 13:28 UTC

On Thu, 01 Feb 2024 12:31:30 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>>
>> I've been reading little blurbs about this for several months. Now
>> it's made a Tampa newspaper. There's already nearly 200 miles of
>> mostly interconnected non-urban/suburban asphalt trail within an hours
>> drive from me, and more currently under construction. I hope I'm still
>> riding when this one gets built.
>>
>> ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A proposed walking and biking trail in Pasco
>> County is to be called the Orange Belt Trail.
>>
>> It would run 37 miles across the county from Trinity to Trilby. It
>> would follow the route once used by the Orange Belt Railway.
>>
>> https://www.fox13news.com/news/proposed-orange-belt-trail-in-pasco-county-would-have-a-route-once-powered-by-steam
>>
>Will it connect to others? Even with leisure trails that’s always useful.

The planned rout intersects with my closest trail, the 55 mile rural
Suncoast trail, that already links to the mostly suburban 75 mile
Pinellis Loop trail. The Northeastern terminal of this new trail will
connect with the rural 47 mile Withlacooche State Trail. There are a
number of feeder trails (not bike lanes on streets and roads) that
connect with those trails, but there also a few bike lanes that are
designated as trails. I understand there are long range plans to
interconnect the overall system with the 29 mile Van Fleet State trail
that runs through the Green Swamp and attaches to the 6.5 mile
Auburndale TECO Trail, and eventually with all the suburban trails
around Orlando.

There seems to be a trend here to build a two way bike trail along one
side any new highway construction. There are a lot of them not
included in my list above.

From where I park to start my ride, there is a continuous 129 mile
off-road trail from St Petersburg to Citrus Springs.

>Roger Merriman

Re: Orange Belt Trail to be built

<aEQuN.1083738$cgX9.510162@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=100470&group=rec.bicycles.tech#100470

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 17:36:06 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 17:36 UTC

Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2024 12:31:30 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been reading little blurbs about this for several months. Now
>>> it's made a Tampa newspaper. There's already nearly 200 miles of
>>> mostly interconnected non-urban/suburban asphalt trail within an hours
>>> drive from me, and more currently under construction. I hope I'm still
>>> riding when this one gets built.
>>>
>>> ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A proposed walking and biking trail in Pasco
>>> County is to be called the Orange Belt Trail.
>>>
>>> It would run 37 miles across the county from Trinity to Trilby. It
>>> would follow the route once used by the Orange Belt Railway.
>>>
>>> https://www.fox13news.com/news/proposed-orange-belt-trail-in-pasco-county-would-have-a-route-once-powered-by-steam
>>>
>> Will it connect to others? Even with leisure trails that’s always useful.
>
> The planned rout intersects with my closest trail, the 55 mile rural
> Suncoast trail, that already links to the mostly suburban 75 mile
> Pinellis Loop trail. The Northeastern terminal of this new trail will
> connect with the rural 47 mile Withlacooche State Trail. There are a
> number of feeder trails (not bike lanes on streets and roads) that
> connect with those trails, but there also a few bike lanes that are
> designated as trails. I understand there are long range plans to
> interconnect the overall system with the 29 mile Van Fleet State trail
> that runs through the Green Swamp and attaches to the 6.5 mile
> Auburndale TECO Trail, and eventually with all the suburban trails
> around Orlando.

Sounds good, as well to be useful and used connections are the key.

> There seems to be a trend here to build a two way bike trail along one
> side any new highway construction. There are a lot of them not
> included in my list above.

Used to be in the uk some 100 years ago but generally not now more urban
areas unless the road is legally prohibited from bikes/pedestrians etc then
they would need to honour the right of way somehow, to remove requires a
lot of legal work.

> From where I park to start my ride, there is a continuous 129 mile
> off-road trail from St Petersburg to Citrus Springs.
>
>> Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

Re: Orange Belt Trail to be built

<aplnri5thg1fr8t426s2ahuqvuhh0bmp5f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=100472&group=rec.bicycles.tech#100472

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 12:41:11 -0500
 by: Catrike Ryder - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 17:41 UTC

On Thu, 01 Feb 2024 17:36:06 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Feb 2024 12:31:30 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Will it connect to others? Even with leisure trails that?s always useful.
>>
>> The planned rout intersects with my closest trail, the 55 mile rural
>> Suncoast trail, that already links to the mostly suburban 75 mile
>> Pinellis Loop trail. The Northeastern terminal of this new trail will
>> connect with the rural 47 mile Withlacooche State Trail. There are a
>> number of feeder trails (not bike lanes on streets and roads) that
>> connect with those trails, but there also a few bike lanes that are
>> designated as trails. I understand there are long range plans to
>> interconnect the overall system with the 29 mile Van Fleet State trail
>> that runs through the Green Swamp and attaches to the 6.5 mile
>> Auburndale TECO Trail, and eventually with all the suburban trails
>> around Orlando.
>>
>Sounds good, as well to be useful and used connections are the key.
>
>> There seems to be a trend here to build a two way bike trail along one
>> side any new highway construction. There are a lot of them not
>> included in my list above.
>>
>Used to be in the uk some 100 years ago but generally not now more urban
>areas unless the road is legally prohibited from bikes/pedestrians etc then
>they would need to honour the right of way somehow, to remove requires a
>lot of legal work.
>
>> From where I park to start my ride, there is a continuous 129 mile
>> off-road trail from St Petersburg to Citrus Springs.
>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>>

>Roger Merriman

As far as I know, there are no restrictions here about riding a bike
on streets and roads other than the limited access ones, although it's
rare to see that being done around here. It might be different in the
cities.

Re: Orange Belt Trail to be built

<e3RuN.1017851$2zI9.999833@fx15.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=100475&group=rec.bicycles.tech#100475

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 18:04:58 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 18:04 UTC

Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2024 17:36:06 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>>> The planned rout intersects with my closest trail, the 55 mile rural
>>> Suncoast trail, that already links to the mostly suburban 75 mile
>>> Pinellis Loop trail. The Northeastern terminal of this new trail will
>>> connect with the rural 47 mile Withlacooche State Trail. There are a
>>> number of feeder trails (not bike lanes on streets and roads) that
>>> connect with those trails, but there also a few bike lanes that are
>>> designated as trails. I understand there are long range plans to
>>> interconnect the overall system with the 29 mile Van Fleet State trail
>>> that runs through the Green Swamp and attaches to the 6.5 mile
>>> Auburndale TECO Trail, and eventually with all the suburban trails
>>> around Orlando.
>>>
>> Sounds good, as well to be useful and used connections are the key.
>>
>>> There seems to be a trend here to build a two way bike trail along one
>>> side any new highway construction. There are a lot of them not
>>> included in my list above.
>>>
>> Used to be in the uk some 100 years ago but generally not now more urban
>> areas unless the road is legally prohibited from bikes/pedestrians etc then
>> they would need to honour the right of way somehow, to remove requires a
>> lot of legal work.
>>
>>> From where I park to start my ride, there is a continuous 129 mile
>>> off-road trail from St Petersburg to Citrus Springs.

>> Roger Merriman
>>

> As far as I know, there are no restrictions here about riding a bike
> on streets and roads other than the limited access ones, although it's
> rare to see that being done around here. It might be different in the
> cities.

It’s more motorways or rare limited access roads, are some roads which are
probably unwise to, mainly as it’s such a grim experience than dangerous
per se.

Roger Merriman

Re: Orange Belt Trail to be built

<004f1d55-a427-4812-a973-f9b762618ed1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=100631&group=rec.bicycles.tech#100631

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 06:24:51 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:24 UTC

On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 9:41:17 AM UTC-8, Catrike Ryder wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2024 17:36:06 GMT, Roger Merriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Catrike Ryder <Sol...@old.bikers.org> wrote:

> >> The planned rout intersects with my closest trail, the 55 mile rural
> >> Suncoast trail, that already links to the mostly suburban 75 mile
> >> Pinellis Loop trail. The Northeastern terminal of this new trail will
> >> connect with the rural 47 mile Withlacooche State Trail. There are a
> >> number of feeder trails (not bike lanes on streets and roads) that
> >> connect with those trails, but there also a few bike lanes that are
> >> designated as trails. I understand there are long range plans to
> >> interconnect the overall system with the 29 mile Van Fleet State trail
> >> that runs through the Green Swamp and attaches to the 6.5 mile
> >> Auburndale TECO Trail, and eventually with all the suburban trails
> >> around Orlando.
> >>
> >Sounds good, as well to be useful and used connections are the key.
> >
> >> There seems to be a trend here to build a two way bike trail along one
> >> side any new highway construction. There are a lot of them not
> >> included in my list above.
> >>
> >Used to be in the uk some 100 years ago but generally not now more urban
> >areas unless the road is legally prohibited from bikes/pedestrians etc then
> >they would need to honour the right of way somehow, to remove requires a
> >lot of legal work.
> >
> >> From where I park to start my ride, there is a continuous 129 mile
> >> off-road trail from St Petersburg to Citrus Springs.

> >Roger Merriman
> >
> As far as I know, there are no restrictions here about riding a bike
> on streets and roads other than the limited access ones, although it's
> rare to see that being done around here. It might be different in the
> cities.
There are no limitations to bicycles except on freeways here. But there is a lot of experimentation for bicycle facilities which are not mandatory since the law is that bicycles are considered vehicles and must be treated as such. There is one place where parking is 4 feet off of the curb and bicycles are expected to go inside of that. Of course no one uses that because it immediately filled up with broken glass and they cannot sweep streets like that. There are a couple of places where there are two way paths but they are few. Mostly the most workable facility is simply a painted bike lane. Bicycles are NOT required to be in this but cars seem to think so.