Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:35:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Baso
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 01:35 UTC

I did 30 miles on the Basso up Cull Canyon and back. I was hoping for totally dry roads but there were three spots with water running across the road. The handling and balance on a climb was close to perfect and I got home and removing my gloves didn't hurt and it has been on the BMC.

I noticed that the water bottle cage was broken and replaced it with a better MSW plastic version and the mounting screws on the Basso were also 4 mm. This is an insult to Flunky who cannot work on his own stuff but can tell us all about them. While I was in Robinson's Wheel works There was a Specialized Roubaix carbon bike that he had built for a customer. It had the standard 5 mm bottle mounts.

Getting home I cleaned and polished the Basso and attached the BB cable guide. I also picked up a set of bar tape in Robinson's and I straightened the RSL wheel on the wheel stand when I got home.

Re: Baso

<04c4f0c9-3de9-4c3a-a647-866efa45d605n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101211&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101211

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:45:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Baso
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 01:45 UTC

On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 5:35:32 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I did 30 miles on the Basso up Cull Canyon and back. I was hoping for totally dry roads but there were three spots with water running across the road. The handling and balance on a climb was close to perfect and I got home and removing my gloves didn't hurt and it has been on the BMC.
>
> I noticed that the water bottle cage was broken and replaced it with a better MSW plastic version and the mounting screws on the Basso were also 4 mm. This is an insult to Flunky who cannot work on his own stuff but can tell us all about them. While I was in Robinson's Wheel works There was a Specialized Roubaix carbon bike that he had built for a customer. It had the standard 5 mm bottle mounts.
>
> Getting home I cleaned and polished the Basso and attached the BB cable guide. I also picked up a set of bar tape in Robinson's and I straightened the RSL wheel for the Allez on the wheel stand when I got home. I also found a deal on a set of Bontrager X-lites so I bought them. They are quite a bit lighter than the RSL's

I also forgot to add that I got a flat again 3 blocks from home on the way out on the ride, I fixed it so I was a little late going up the canyon but it was so cold that there were only two others coming down. And I think that they park at the base and only do the 13 miles in and out.

Re: Baso

<uqifha$2lkc5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101222&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101222

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 07:34:33 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:34 UTC

On 2/13/2024 7:35 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I did 30 miles on the Basso up Cull Canyon and back. I was hoping for totally dry roads but there were three spots with water running across the road. The handling and balance on a climb was close to perfect and I got home and removing my gloves didn't hurt and it has been on the BMC.
>
> I noticed that the water bottle cage was broken and replaced it with a better MSW plastic version and the mounting screws on the Basso were also 4 mm. This is an insult to Flunky who cannot work on his own stuff but can tell us all about them. While I was in Robinson's Wheel works There was a Specialized Roubaix carbon bike that he had built for a customer. It had the standard 5 mm bottle mounts.
>
> Getting home I cleaned and polished the Basso and attached the BB cable guide. I also picked up a set of bar tape in Robinson's and I straightened the RSL wheel on the wheel stand when I got home.

That's interesting. Which year/model of Basso? All the
Bassos we sold had standard 5mm mounts.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Baso

<dd0191d8-8e0d-4306-bf2a-d2692c895a95n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101229&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101229

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:02:04 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 16:02 UTC

On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 at 5:34:39 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 2/13/2024 7:35 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I did 30 miles on the Basso up Cull Canyon and back. I was hoping for totally dry roads but there were three spots with water running across the road. The handling and balance on a climb was close to perfect and I got home and removing my gloves didn't hurt and it has been on the BMC.
> >
> > I noticed that the water bottle cage was broken and replaced it with a better MSW plastic version and the mounting screws on the Basso were also 4 mm. This is an insult to Flunky who cannot work on his own stuff but can tell us all about them. While I was in Robinson's Wheel works There was a Specialized Roubaix carbon bike that he had built for a customer. It had the standard 5 mm bottle mounts.
> >
> > Getting home I cleaned and polished the Basso and attached the BB cable guide. I also picked up a set of bar tape in Robinson's and I straightened the RSL wheel on the wheel stand when I got home.
> That's interesting. Which year/model of Basso? All the
> Bassos we sold had standard 5mm mounts.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I don't know what year it is but it is built completely different from all of the previous Basso's with the ultralight steel forks and brazed connections between the top tube and seat stays. The bike also doesn't steer really stable but it is accurate so it goes where I steer. But it does tend to wander around on the road like a "real" race bike if you're not alert.

Re: Baso

<uqiqqg$2no6e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101237&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101237

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:47:11 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 16:47 UTC

On 2/14/2024 10:02 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 at 5:34:39 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 2/13/2024 7:35 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> I did 30 miles on the Basso up Cull Canyon and back. I was hoping for totally dry roads but there were three spots with water running across the road. The handling and balance on a climb was close to perfect and I got home and removing my gloves didn't hurt and it has been on the BMC.
>>>
>>> I noticed that the water bottle cage was broken and replaced it with a better MSW plastic version and the mounting screws on the Basso were also 4 mm. This is an insult to Flunky who cannot work on his own stuff but can tell us all about them. While I was in Robinson's Wheel works There was a Specialized Roubaix carbon bike that he had built for a customer. It had the standard 5 mm bottle mounts.
>>>
>>> Getting home I cleaned and polished the Basso and attached the BB cable guide. I also picked up a set of bar tape in Robinson's and I straightened the RSL wheel on the wheel stand when I got home.
>> That's interesting. Which year/model of Basso? All the
>> Bassos we sold had standard 5mm mounts.

> I don't know what year it is but it is built completely different from all of the previous Basso's with the ultralight steel forks and brazed connections between the top tube and seat stays. The bike also doesn't steer really stable but it is accurate so it goes where I steer. But it does tend to wander around on the road like a "real" race bike if you're not alert.

Are the frame ends stamped "BASSO" ?
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/basmia1.jpg

Seatstay caps?
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/bsgap12c.jpg

Fork crown?
http://www.yellowjersey.org/fkbs17a.jpg
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

RE: Re: Baso

<dU6zN.95748$TSTa.5433@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101247&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101247

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: RE: Re: Baso
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 17:38:17 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 17:38 UTC

On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 at 8:47:17AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 2/14/2024 10:02 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> That's interesting. Which year/model of Basso? All the
> >> Bassos we sold had standard 5mm mounts.
>

> > I don't know what year it is but it is built completely different from all of the previous Basso's with the ultralight steel forks and brazed connections between the top tube and seat stays. The bike also doesn't steer really stable but it is accurate so it goes where I steer. But it does tend to wander around on the road like a "real" race bike if you're not alert.
> Are the frame ends stamped "BASSO" ?
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/basmia1.jpg
>
> Seatstay caps?
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/bsgap12c.jpg
>
> Fork crown?
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/fkbs17a.jpg
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

All of the proper Basso Loto markings such as the B in the diamond on the rear dropouts. The special Basso tubing and all of the proper Basso decals. The front fork lug is far too thin to put a stamping on it. That fork was one of the last developed for Basso. There is no question it is a Basso.

RE: Re: Baso

<zZ6zN.329283$PuZ9.119354@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101248&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101248

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 17:43:59 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 17:43 UTC

On Wed Feb 14 10:47:11 2024 AMuzi wrote:
> On 2/14/2024 10:02 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> That's interesting. Which year/model of Basso? All the
> >> Bassos we sold had standard 5mm mounts.
>

> > I don't know what year it is but it is built completely different from all of the previous Basso's with the ultralight steel forks and brazed connections between the top tube and seat stays. The bike also doesn't steer really stable but it is accurate so it goes where I steer. But it does tend to wander around on the road like a "real" race bike if you're not alert.
>
> Are the frame ends stamped "BASSO" ?
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/basmia1.jpg
>
> Seatstay caps?
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/bsgap12c.jpg
>
> Fork crown?
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/fkbs17a.jpg
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> am@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I'm havbing a lot of trouble getting this to properly post on the new host

So Let's tru again: All of the proper Basso Loto markings such as the B in the diamond on the rear dropouts. The special Basso tubing and all of the proper Basso decals. The front fork lug is far too thin to put a stamping on it. That fork was one of the last developed for Basso. There is no question it is a Basso.

RE: Re: Baso

<7bPBN.408948$PuZ9.162922@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101943&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101943

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:40:19 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:40 UTC

On Wed Feb 14 07:34:33 2024 AMuzi wrote:
> On 2/13/2024 7:35 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I did 30 miles on the Basso up Cull Canyon and back. I was hoping for totally dry roads but there were three spots with water running across the road. The handling and balance on a climb was close to perfect and I got home and removing my gloves didn't hurt and it has been on the BMC.
> >
> > I noticed that the water bottle cage was broken and replaced it with a better MSW plastic version and the mounting screws on the Basso were also 4 mm. This is an insult to Flunky who cannot work on his own stuff but can tell us all about them. While I was in Robinson's Wheel works There was a Specialized Roubaix carbon bike that he had built for a customer. It had the standard 5 mm bottle mounts.
> >
> > Getting home I cleaned and polished the Basso and attached the BB cable guide. I also picked up a set of bar tape in Robinson's and I straightened the RSL wheel on the wheel stand when I got home.
>
> That's interesting. Which year/model of Basso? All the
> Bassos we sold had standard 5mm mounts.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> am@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I had had several bikes - mostly carbon fiber - that use 4 mm water bottle mounts. I assumed they did it to save every possible gram so I wasn't shocked to see 4 mm on the Basso Loto.

I was interested in that brazed Basso Gap, Do you know what steel it was made from? The Loto is special Basso racing tubing. All of the Gap's I had were Columbus.

Re: RE: Re: Baso

<ur8hls$42ga$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101950&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101950

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: RE: Re: Baso
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 16:26:06 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 22:26 UTC

On 2/22/2024 3:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wed Feb 14 07:34:33 2024 AMuzi wrote:
>> On 2/13/2024 7:35 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> I did 30 miles on the Basso up Cull Canyon and back. I was hoping for totally dry roads but there were three spots with water running across the road. The handling and balance on a climb was close to perfect and I got home and removing my gloves didn't hurt and it has been on the BMC.
>>>
>>> I noticed that the water bottle cage was broken and replaced it with a better MSW plastic version and the mounting screws on the Basso were also 4 mm. This is an insult to Flunky who cannot work on his own stuff but can tell us all about them. While I was in Robinson's Wheel works There was a Specialized Roubaix carbon bike that he had built for a customer. It had the standard 5 mm bottle mounts.
>>>
>>> Getting home I cleaned and polished the Basso and attached the BB cable guide. I also picked up a set of bar tape in Robinson's and I straightened the RSL wheel on the wheel stand when I got home.
>>
>> That's interesting. Which year/model of Basso? All the
>> Bassos we sold had standard 5mm mounts.
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> am@yellowjersey.org
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
>>

> I had had several bikes - mostly carbon fiber - that use 4 mm water bottle mounts. I assumed they did it to save every possible gram so I wasn't shocked to see 4 mm on the Basso Loto.
>
> I was interested in that brazed Basso Gap, Do you know what steel it was made from? The Loto is special Basso racing tubing. All of the Gap's I had were Columbus.

Does it have this label?
http://www.yellowjersey.org/GAPBB.JPG

If I recall that's a Dedacciai product.