You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / The fastest bicyclist in the world

SubjectAuthor
* The fastest bicyclist in the worldTom Kunich
+* Re: The fastest bicyclist in the worldFrank Krygowski
|`* Re: The fastest bicyclist in the worldTom Kunich
| `- Re: The fastest bicyclist in the worldFrank Krygowski
+* Re: The fastest bicyclist in the worldAMuzi
|+- Re: The fastest bicyclist in the worldTom Kunich
|`* Re: The fastest bicyclist in the worldJohn B.
| `- Re: The fastest bicyclist in the worldTom Kunich
`* Re: The fastest bicyclist in the worldzen cycle
 `* Re: The fastest bicyclist in the worldTom Kunich
  `- Re: The fastest bicyclist in the worldzen cycle

1
The fastest bicyclist in the world

<80edfcc2-79a8-4b43-86fa-e1b636a6edcdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101602&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101602

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 10:57:34 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The fastest bicyclist in the world
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:57 UTC

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-culture/new-major-taylor-documentary-premieres-feb-26/

I have never figured out segregation because all of the normal people I ever saw were against it completely even before Dr. King's march made being against segregation the "in" thing. I WATCHED all of the normal people on buses when blacks were supposed to sit in the back of the bus have NO problem with normal black people sitting in the front. With all of the black teenagers sitting in the back of the bus, NOBODY wanted to sit back there with them. But it wasn't because they were black but because they were teenagers. I stopped riding the bus and would walk the 5 miles to high school so that I wasn't exposed to them.

So segregation was probably an idea of a minority of people and everyone else simply went along with it. The Civil War left a VERY deep impression on people that they had to get along. And since the majority of the population was white, the minority of racist people could get their way. Either that or the world outside of California was very different. But then how do you explain the million man march?

As you know, I have always been skeptical of any large group decisions because too many people will go along with anything out of not wanting to argue about things that really make no difference. But segregation DID make a difference to the lives of people and damaged their feelings so badly that even today with you can be jailed for segregating people they still see segregation behind every tree. This must be pretty damn bad.

But what in the hell do you make of Frank saying that he had to prepare himself to ride though Youngstown which is heavily black? I really don't believe him to be racist but I do believe that he has a fear of blacks.

Maybe watching movies like this could teach him something.

Re: The fastest bicyclist in the world

<uqtlf7$1d0lk$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101608&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101608

From: frkrygow@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: The fastest bicyclist in the world
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 14:23:19 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:23 UTC

On 2/18/2024 1:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> But what in the hell do you make of Frank saying that he had to prepare himself to ride though Youngstown which is heavily black?

Tom, you're hallucinating again. Try to quit imagining what you wish or
pretend I said. Find my post and link to it, quoting it accurately in
context.

To prepare myself to ride through the city, I normally clip on an
eyeglass mirror and make sure my tires are pumped up. If it's part of a
long recreational ride, I may change to cycling clothes. Anything else
you're imagining is your own fantasy.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: The fastest bicyclist in the world

<0c4ad01f-5e1a-45e4-bffa-87fb75628146n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101611&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101611

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:34:27 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:34 UTC

On Sunday, February 18, 2024 at 11:23:23 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 2/18/2024 1:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> >
> > But what in the hell do you make of Frank saying that he had to prepare himself to ride though Youngstown which is heavily black?
> Tom, you're hallucinating again. Try to quit imagining what you wish or
> pretend I said. Find my post and link to it, quoting it accurately in
> context.
>
> To prepare myself to ride through the city, I normally clip on an
> eyeglass mirror and make sure my tires are pumped up. If it's part of a
> long recreational ride, I may change to cycling clothes. Anything else
> you're imagining is your own fantasy.
>
> --
> - Frank Krygowski

Frank, you were quite plain in what you said. And several people here commented on how plain it was what you meant. Stop trying to get out of it. As I said, I don't believe you to actually be racist, but your statement did show a subjective fear of riding through largely black neighborhoods. I don't think that anyone but Flunky and Liebermann would disagree with that.

Re: The fastest bicyclist in the world

<uqtmcp$1do4i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101612&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101612

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:39:06 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:39 UTC

On 2/18/2024 12:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-culture/new-major-taylor-documentary-premieres-feb-26/
>
> I have never figured out segregation because all of the normal people I ever saw were against it completely even before Dr. King's march made being against segregation the "in" thing. I WATCHED all of the normal people on buses when blacks were supposed to sit in the back of the bus have NO problem with normal black people sitting in the front. With all of the black teenagers sitting in the back of the bus, NOBODY wanted to sit back there with them. But it wasn't because they were black but because they were teenagers. I stopped riding the bus and would walk the 5 miles to high school so that I wasn't exposed to them.
>
> So segregation was probably an idea of a minority of people and everyone else simply went along with it. The Civil War left a VERY deep impression on people that they had to get along. And since the majority of the population was white, the minority of racist people could get their way. Either that or the world outside of California was very different. But then how do you explain the million man march?
>
> As you know, I have always been skeptical of any large group decisions because too many people will go along with anything out of not wanting to argue about things that really make no difference. But segregation DID make a difference to the lives of people and damaged their feelings so badly that even today with you can be jailed for segregating people they still see segregation behind every tree. This must be pretty damn bad.
>
> But what in the hell do you make of Frank saying that he had to prepare himself to ride though Youngstown which is heavily black? I really don't believe him to be racist but I do believe that he has a fear of blacks.
>
> Maybe watching movies like this could teach him something.

"I have never figured out segregation because all of the
normal people I ever saw were against it"

Maybe you don't hang out with racists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4G7GIvLvgw

(four minutes)
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: The fastest bicyclist in the world

<68356958-7507-49db-a68a-c32318c0d50bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101615&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101615

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:49:54 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:49 UTC

On Sunday, February 18, 2024 at 11:39:08 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 2/18/2024 12:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-culture/new-major-taylor-documentary-premieres-feb-26/
> >
> > I have never figured out segregation because all of the normal people I ever saw were against it completely even before Dr. King's march made being against segregation the "in" thing. I WATCHED all of the normal people on buses when blacks were supposed to sit in the back of the bus have NO problem with normal black people sitting in the front. With all of the black teenagers sitting in the back of the bus, NOBODY wanted to sit back there with them. But it wasn't because they were black but because they were teenagers. I stopped riding the bus and would walk the 5 miles to high school so that I wasn't exposed to them.
> >
> > So segregation was probably an idea of a minority of people and everyone else simply went along with it. The Civil War left a VERY deep impression on people that they had to get along. And since the majority of the population was white, the minority of racist people could get their way. Either that or the world outside of California was very different. But then how do you explain the million man march?
> >
> > As you know, I have always been skeptical of any large group decisions because too many people will go along with anything out of not wanting to argue about things that really make no difference. But segregation DID make a difference to the lives of people and damaged their feelings so badly that even today with you can be jailed for segregating people they still see segregation behind every tree. This must be pretty damn bad.
> >
> > But what in the hell do you make of Frank saying that he had to prepare himself to ride though Youngstown which is heavily black? I really don't believe him to be racist but I do believe that he has a fear of blacks.
> >
> > Maybe watching movies like this could teach him something.
>
> "I have never figured out segregation because all of the
> normal people I ever saw were against it"
> Maybe you don't hang out with racists.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4G7GIvLvgw
>
> (four minutes)
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Really, he was a runner boy in the senate for Strom Thurmond who was so strong a racist that Biden was only cleared of charges of ultra racism by the Slime Stream Media outright lying about it. This bullshit about Biden somehow being correct about school busing is simply more bullshit. We do not have school busing now because most of the schools are equally funded as well as equally bad.

Re: The fastest bicyclist in the world

<3h15ti959p6j2to1g3egb40170fudb2bcb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101626&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101626

From: slocombjb@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 05:42:18 +0700
 by: John B. - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 22:42 UTC

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:39:06 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 2/18/2024 12:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-culture/new-major-taylor-documentary-premieres-feb-26/
>>
>> I have never figured out segregation because all of the normal people I ever saw were against it completely even before Dr. King's march made being against segregation the "in" thing. I WATCHED all of the normal people on buses when blacks were supposed to sit in the back of the bus have NO problem with normal black people sitting in the front. With all of the black teenagers sitting in the back of the bus, NOBODY wanted to sit back there with them. But it wasn't because they were black but because they were teenagers. I stopped riding the bus and would walk the 5 miles to high school so that I wasn't exposed to them.
>>
>> So segregation was probably an idea of a minority of people and everyone else simply went along with it. The Civil War left a VERY deep impression on people that they had to get along. And since the majority of the population was white, the minority of racist people could get their way. Either that or the world outside of California was very different. But then how do you explain the million man march?
>>
>> As you know, I have always been skeptical of any large group decisions because too many people will go along with anything out of not wanting to argue about things that really make no difference. But segregation DID make a difference to the lives of people and damaged their feelings so badly that even today with you can be jailed for segregating people they still see segregation behind every tree. This must be pretty damn bad.
>>
>> But what in the hell do you make of Frank saying that he had to prepare himself to ride though Youngstown which is heavily black? I really don't believe him to be racist but I do believe that he has a fear of blacks.
>>
>> Maybe watching movies like this could teach him something.
>
>"I have never figured out segregation because all of the
>normal people I ever saw were against it"
>

>Maybe you don't hang out with racists.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4G7GIvLvgw
>
>(four minutes)

Visit Thailand and watch U.S. tourists. There is no question that they
not only see them as superior to the locals but to other people of all
colors/creed/language/etc.

As do tourists of other countries :-)

And, not to be left out the Thais know that they are superior to the
tourists....'stupid people... can't even speak Thai'.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: The fastest bicyclist in the world

<uqua93$1hh4o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101630&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101630

From: frkrygow@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 20:18:27 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 01:18 UTC

On 2/18/2024 2:34 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Sunday, February 18, 2024 at 11:23:23 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 2/18/2024 1:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>>
>>> But what in the hell do you make of Frank saying that he had to prepare himself to ride though Youngstown which is heavily black?
>> Tom, you're hallucinating again. Try to quit imagining what you wish or
>> pretend I said. Find my post and link to it, quoting it accurately in
>> context.
>>
>> To prepare myself to ride through the city, I normally clip on an
>> eyeglass mirror and make sure my tires are pumped up. If it's part of a
>> long recreational ride, I may change to cycling clothes. Anything else
>> you're imagining is your own fantasy.
>>
>> --
>> - Frank Krygowski
>
> Frank, you were quite plain in what you said.

Exactly what do you think I said? Link to it and quote it. Keep in mind,
nobody here trusts your "memory" - not even you, in your more lucid
moments.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: The fastest bicyclist in the world

<uqvnap$1rue6$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101648&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101648

From: funkmasterxx@hotmail.com (zen cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:07:20 -0500
 by: zen cycle - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 14:07 UTC

On 2/18/2024 1:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-culture/new-major-taylor-documentary-premieres-feb-26/

<snipped ignorant rant>

And here I thought tommy was actually going to post a cycling related
discussion instead of yet another ignorant off topic rant.

silly me.

FYI - yes, california is very different from the rest of the country,
and they never had any segregation laws that required non-whites to ride
in the back of the bus.

Re: The fastest bicyclist in the world

<4bbdfae1-b6a2-44ed-a585-fa9e7ecabc53n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101660&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101660

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:40:44 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 16:40 UTC

On Sunday, February 18, 2024 at 2:42:25 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:39:06 -0600, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
> >On 2/18/2024 12:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> >> https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-culture/new-major-taylor-documentary-premieres-feb-26/
> >>
> >> I have never figured out segregation because all of the normal people I ever saw were against it completely even before Dr. King's march made being against segregation the "in" thing. I WATCHED all of the normal people on buses when blacks were supposed to sit in the back of the bus have NO problem with normal black people sitting in the front. With all of the black teenagers sitting in the back of the bus, NOBODY wanted to sit back there with them. But it wasn't because they were black but because they were teenagers. I stopped riding the bus and would walk the 5 miles to high school so that I wasn't exposed to them.
> >>
> >> So segregation was probably an idea of a minority of people and everyone else simply went along with it. The Civil War left a VERY deep impression on people that they had to get along. And since the majority of the population was white, the minority of racist people could get their way. Either that or the world outside of California was very different. But then how do you explain the million man march?
> >>
> >> As you know, I have always been skeptical of any large group decisions because too many people will go along with anything out of not wanting to argue about things that really make no difference. But segregation DID make a difference to the lives of people and damaged their feelings so badly that even today with you can be jailed for segregating people they still see segregation behind every tree. This must be pretty damn bad.
> >>
> >> But what in the hell do you make of Frank saying that he had to prepare himself to ride though Youngstown which is heavily black? I really don't believe him to be racist but I do believe that he has a fear of blacks.
> >>
> >> Maybe watching movies like this could teach him something.
> >
> >"I have never figured out segregation because all of the
> >normal people I ever saw were against it"
> >

> >Maybe you don't hang out with racists.
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4G7GIvLvgw
> >
> >(four minutes)
> Visit Thailand and watch U.S. tourists. There is no question that they
> not only see them as superior to the locals but to other people of all
> colors/creed/language/etc.
>
> As do tourists of other countries :-)
>
> And, not to be left out the Thais know that they are superior to the
> tourists....'stupid people... can't even speak Thai'.
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> John B.

It isn't unusual for a group of people under one flag to feel superior to another. That's probably a good thing.

Re: The fastest bicyclist in the world

<0518a1f1-6fd6-416f-aa83-e39087c84afen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101661&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101661

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:41:44 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 16:41 UTC

On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 6:07:23 AM UTC-8, zen cycle wrote:
> On 2/18/2024 1:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-culture/new-major-taylor-documentary-premieres-feb-26/
> >

> <snipped ignorant rant>
>
> And here I thought tommy was actually going to post a cycling related
> discussion instead of yet another ignorant off topic rant.
>
> silly me.
>
> FYI - yes, california is very different from the rest of the country,
> and they never had any segregation laws that required non-whites to ride
> in the back of the bus.
And you know this how?

Re: The fastest bicyclist in the world

<ur2127$2es66$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=101710&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101710

From: funkmasterxx@hotmail.com (zen cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 06:05:42 -0500
 by: zen cycle - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 11:05 UTC

On 2/19/2024 11:41 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 6:07:23 AM UTC-8, zen cycle wrote:
>> On 2/18/2024 1:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-culture/new-major-taylor-documentary-premieres-feb-26/
>>>

>> <snipped ignorant rant>
>>
>> And here I thought tommy was actually going to post a cycling related
>> discussion instead of yet another ignorant off topic rant.
>>
>> silly me.
>>
>> FYI - yes, california is very different from the rest of the country,
>> and they never had any segregation laws that required non-whites to ride
>> in the back of the bus.
> And you know this how?

I can read and I generally look things up before I post replies. You
might want to try looking things up from time to time before making
demonstrably false statements. Here's a voice of experience growing up
in the bay area in the 40's/'50s:

https://sfbayview.com/2012/10/welcome-to-segregated-california/

"Oakland did not require us to sit in the back of the bus. Here we were
allowed to drink from the same water fountain as White people. We could
even try on shoes and hats before we bought them. A lawyer, who was a
descendant of former slaves, could work in the court system, without
having to go through a white lawyer. Movie houses were not segregated;
we could choose our seats."

That isn't to say it was perfect:
https://boomcalifornia.org/2021/02/12/black-california-a-review-of-west-of-jim-crow/

"The Black struggle for racial justice in California is as old as the
state itself. By the early 1850s, hundreds of enslaved African Americans
had been forcibly imported to work the gold diggings around Sacramento.
When many of them won their freedom later in the decade, they still
faced a raft of discriminatory laws and practices. African Americans
could not legally testify against whites in courts of law, nor could
they marry across the color line. They were also routinely barred from
streetcars and viciously parodied in San Francisco’s popular minstrel
shows."

Gee, didn't you read out three libraries, but found nothing on racist
policies in California?