"Marriage is low down, but you spend the rest of your life paying for it." -- Baskins

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Strang Ebay Postings

SubjectAuthor
* Strang Ebay PostingsTom Kunich
+- RE: Strang Ebay PostingsTom Kunich
`* Re: Strang Ebay PostingsNFN Smith
 +- RE: Re: Strang Ebay PostingsTom Kunich
 `- Re: Strang Ebay PostingsZen Cycle

1
Strang Ebay Postings

<wR6DN.320875$yEgf.8695@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102235&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102235

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: Strang Ebay Postings
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 20:51:40 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 20:51 UTC

In several places now I have noticed postings of some fairly desireable things for decent prices but with the note that they are only available for pick-up on site.

It isn't as if shipping is all that difficult, you simply take it to the local bike shop for packing and shipping but that seems to be too difficult. Most people simply add the packing and shipping costs. So why would someone have an S-works nike (with crappy components on it) and say it is only available for pickup in
New Jersey? Or in my case - a nice set of Bontrager X-lite wheels only for pickup in San Deigo?

So, if you're buying things off of Ebay now, be sure that the seller will ship.

RE: Strang Ebay Postings

<i57DN.128832$STLe.76703@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102237&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102237

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: RE: Strang Ebay Postings
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 21:08:30 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 21:08 UTC

On Mon Feb 26 20:51:40 2024 Tom Kunich wrote:
> In several places now I have noticed postings of some fairly desireable things for decent prices but with the note that they are only available for pick-up on site.
>
> It isn't as if shipping is all that difficult, you simply take it to the local bike shop for packing and shipping but that seems to be too difficult. Most people simply add the packing and shipping costs. So why would someone have an S-works nike (with crappy components on it) and say it is only available for pickup in
> New Jersey? Or in my case - a nice set of Bontrager X-lite wheels only for pickup in San Deigo?
>
> So, if you're buying things off of Ebay now, be sure that the seller will ship.

I should also add that I read a comment from a Speciaolized team rider who said that the S-works aluminum bikes were famous for breaking in races and it appeared that Specialized was replacing them with the standard Allez withe the S-Works decals on them.

I don't expect that normal people would ride hard enough to break the S-works but why would you down grade the team bikes so that they wouldn't break? After all, it was an open secret that the team carbon fiber bikes needed replacing after every race. They appear to have gotten that straightened out now, just in time for me to switch back to steel.

Re: Strang Ebay Postings

<urkt4f$38pf1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102255&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102255

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 07:55:08 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:55 UTC

Tom Kunich wrote:
> In several places now I have noticed postings of some fairly desireable things for decent prices but with the note that they are only available for pick-up on site.
>
> It isn't as if shipping is all that difficult, you simply take it to the local bike shop for packing and shipping but that seems to be too difficult. Most people simply add the packing and shipping costs. So why would someone have an S-works nike (with crappy components on it) and say it is only available for pickup in
> New Jersey? Or in my case - a nice set of Bontrager X-lite wheels only for pickup in San Deigo?
>
> So, if you're buying things off of Ebay now, be sure that the seller will ship.

It may not necessarily be a question of convenience of packaging and
shipping.

I believe that you're the one that sold through eBay, and when you
shipped, you had problems with the buyer cancelling the order and then
not returning the bike.

It may be that they're trying to protect themselves by making sure that
there's a clean transaction.

BTW, how did your problem eBay transaction turn out?

Smith

RE: Re: Strang Ebay Postings

<xKnDN.79911$24ld.66371@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102258&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102258

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: RE: Re: Strang Ebay Postings
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 16:04:45 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 16:04 UTC

On Tue Feb 27 07:55:08 2024 NFN Smith wrote:
> Tom Kunich wrote:
> > In several places now I have noticed postings of some fairly desireable things for decent prices but with the note that they are only available for pick-up on site.
> >
> > It isn't as if shipping is all that difficult, you simply take it to the local bike shop for packing and shipping but that seems to be too difficult. Most people simply add the packing and shipping costs. So why would someone have an S-works nike (with crappy components on it) and say it is only available for pickup in
> > New Jersey? Or in my case - a nice set of Bontrager X-lite wheels only for pickup in San Deigo?
> >
> > So, if you're buying things off of Ebay now, be sure that the seller will ship.
> >

> It may not necessarily be a question of convenience of packaging and
> shipping.
>
> I believe that you're the one that sold through eBay, and when you
> shipped, you had problems with the buyer cancelling the order and then
> not returning the bike.
>
> It may be that they're trying to protect themselves by making sure that
> there's a clean transaction.
>
> BTW, how did your problem eBay transaction turn out?
>
> Smith

Actually it was a problem of him taking his own sweet time returning it. This is apparently because he receives his mail at his mother's house and works in foreign locations most of the time. And ALL of this would not have been a problem if Ebay had dealt with the problem correctly. So I no longer sell through Ebay.

Re: Strang Ebay Postings

<urlc9j$3b50c$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102268&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102268

From: funkmaster@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:13:54 -0500
 by: Zen Cycle - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 19:13 UTC

On 2/27/2024 9:55 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
> Tom Kunich wrote:
>> In several places now I have noticed postings of some fairly
>> desireable things for decent prices but with the note that they are
>> only available for pick-up on site.
>>
>> It isn't as if shipping is all that difficult, you simply take it to
>> the local bike shop for packing and shipping but that seems to be too
>> difficult. Most people simply add the packing and shipping costs. So
>> why would someone have an S-works nike (with crappy components on it)
>> and say it is only available for pickup in
>> New Jersey? Or in my case - a nice set of Bontrager X-lite wheels only
>> for pickup in San Deigo?
>>
>> So, if you're buying things off of Ebay now, be sure that the seller
>> will ship.
>>

> It may not necessarily be a question of convenience of packaging and
> shipping.
>
> I believe that you're the one that sold through eBay, and when you
> shipped, you had problems with the buyer cancelling the order and then
> not returning the bike.
>
> It may be that they're trying to protect themselves by making sure that
> there's a clean transaction.

As someone who used do a lot of ebay transactions, the process of
packing up something for safe shipping and getting it to the post office
or scheduling pickup was always a PITA. I can certainly understand why
someone would insist on local pick-up for that issue alone. I can also
see compelling issue around ensuring a safe transaction.

--
Add xx to reply