You mean you didn't *know* she was off making lots of little phone companies?

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / "and take that stupid sock off your head"

SubjectAuthor
* "and take that stupid sock off your head"Zen Cycle
+* Re: "and take that stupid sock off your head"Frank Krygowski
|`- Re: "and take that stupid sock off your head"AMuzi
`* RE: "and take that stupid sock off your head"Tom Kunich
 `* Re: RE: "and take that stupid sock off your head"AMuzi
  `- RE: Re: RE: "and take that stupid sock off your head"Tom Kunich

1
"and take that stupid sock off your head"

<us9s92$eh3o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102537&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102537

From: funkmaster@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: "and take that stupid sock off your head"
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 08:49:21 -0500
 by: Zen Cycle - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:49 UTC

On the heels (see what I did there?) of the new Giro 'Spaceballs"
helmet, the UCI announced a new set of rules regarding time trial
helmets, including a statement the that not only is new Giro is under
investigation, but "The UCI to carry out an in-depth analysis of the
regulations governing the design and use of time trial helmets".

Evidence seems to indicate there had already been an effort underway,
since the statement includes a ban on the Specialized "headsock".

"it was concluded that the head sock is a “non-essential” component
(article 1.3.033 of the UCI Regulations). As a result, the head sock
integrated into the TT5 helmet will no longer be permitted for use at
events on the UCI International Calendar, effective from 2 April, 2024."

But the statement definitely indicates a more generic overview of time
trial helmet design in general:

"The UCI acknowledges that while this may not directly contravene
existing UCI Regulations, it raises a significant issue concerning the
current and wider trend in time trial helmet design, which focuses more
on performance than the primary function of a helmet, namely to ensure
the safety of the wearer in the event of a fall."

More info here:
https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/the-uci-to-carry-out-an-in-depth-analysis-of-the-regulations-governing-the/4AkyRPvZtsssES1DPdk3db

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/the-uci-is-banning-time-trial-helmet-optimisations-one-day-after-giro-lid-broke-cover

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-bans-specialized-head-sock-puts-new-giro-helmet-under-investigation/

--
Add xx to reply

Re: "and take that stupid sock off your head"

<usa3vc$gbt3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102548&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102548

From: frkrygow@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: "and take that stupid sock off your head"
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 11:00:43 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:00 UTC

On 3/6/2024 8:49 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:
> On the heels (see what I did there?) of the new Giro 'Spaceballs"
> helmet, the UCI announced a new set of rules regarding time trial
> helmets, including a statement the that not only is new Giro is under
> investigation, but "The UCI to carry out an in-depth analysis of the
> regulations governing the design and use of time trial helmets".
>
> Evidence seems to indicate there had already been an effort underway,
> since the statement includes a ban on the Specialized "headsock".
>
> "it was concluded that the head sock is a “non-essential” component
> (article 1.3.033 of the UCI Regulations). As a result, the head sock
> integrated into the TT5 helmet will no longer be permitted for use at
> events on the UCI International Calendar, effective from 2 April, 2024."
>
> But the statement definitely indicates a more generic overview of time
> trial helmet design in general:
>
> "The UCI acknowledges that while this may not directly contravene
> existing UCI Regulations, it raises a significant issue concerning the
> current and wider trend in time trial helmet design, which focuses more
> on performance than the primary function of a helmet, namely to ensure
> the safety of the wearer in the event of a fall."
>
> More info here:
> https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/the-uci-to-carry-out-an-in-depth-analysis-of-the-regulations-governing-the/4AkyRPvZtsssES1DPdk3db
>
> https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/the-uci-is-banning-time-trial-helmet-optimisations-one-day-after-giro-lid-broke-cover
>
> https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-bans-specialized-head-sock-puts-new-giro-helmet-under-investigation/

This could lead to some interesting debates.

UCI: "Your helmet design is too big and too aerodynamic."

Manufacturer: "The aerodynamics are an accident. We just added a lot
more styrofoam to make the rider safer!"

UCI: "Then your rider is too safe. He needs to be in greater danger."

Manufacturer: "We'll take you to court! Also, we're working on a full
fairing. For safety!"

--
- Frank Krygowski

RE: "and take that stupid sock off your head"

<jX0GN.669176$p%Mb.641747@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102556&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102556

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 16:35:27 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:35 UTC

On Wed Mar 6 08:49:21 2024 Zen Cycle wrote:
> On the heels (see what I did there?) of the new Giro 'Spaceballs"
> helmet, the UCI announced a new set of rules regarding time trial
> helmets, including a statement the that not only is new Giro is under
> investigation, but "The UCI to carry out an in-depth analysis of the
> regulations governing the design and use of time trial helmets".
>
> Evidence seems to indicate there had already been an effort underway,
> since the statement includes a ban on the Specialized "headsock".
>
> "it was concluded that the head sock is a ?non-essential? component
> (article 1.3.033 of the UCI Regulations). As a result, the head sock
> integrated into the TT5 helmet will no longer be permitted for use at
> events on the UCI International Calendar, effective from 2 April, 2024."
>
> But the statement definitely indicates a more generic overview of time
> trial helmet design in general:
>
> "The UCI acknowledges that while this may not directly contravene
> existing UCI Regulations, it raises a significant issue concerning the
> current and wider trend in time trial helmet design, which focuses more
> on performance than the primary function of a helmet, namely to ensure
> the safety of the wearer in the event of a fall."
>
> More info here:
> https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/the-uci-to-carry-out-an-in-depth-analysis-of-the-regulations-governing-the/4AkyRPvZtsssES1DPdk3db
>
> https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/the-uci-is-banning-time-trial-helmet-optimisations-one-day-after-giro-lid-broke-cover
>
> https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-bans-specialized-head-sock-puts-new-giro-helmet-under-investigation/
>

> --
> Add xx to reply

It is rather curious that the "head sock" which is nothing more than a means to connect the helmet to the head should be selected as the point of disagreement. Giro simply changes that to a normal helmet strap and continues to use it.

Re: RE: "and take that stupid sock off your head"

<usa65l$gumk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102557&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102557

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: RE: "and take that stupid sock off your head"
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:38:13 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:38 UTC

On 3/6/2024 10:35 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wed Mar 6 08:49:21 2024 Zen Cycle wrote:
>> On the heels (see what I did there?) of the new Giro 'Spaceballs"
>> helmet, the UCI announced a new set of rules regarding time trial
>> helmets, including a statement the that not only is new Giro is under
>> investigation, but "The UCI to carry out an in-depth analysis of the
>> regulations governing the design and use of time trial helmets".
>>
>> Evidence seems to indicate there had already been an effort underway,
>> since the statement includes a ban on the Specialized "headsock".
>>
>> "it was concluded that the head sock is a ?non-essential? component
>> (article 1.3.033 of the UCI Regulations). As a result, the head sock
>> integrated into the TT5 helmet will no longer be permitted for use at
>> events on the UCI International Calendar, effective from 2 April, 2024."
>>
>> But the statement definitely indicates a more generic overview of time
>> trial helmet design in general:
>>
>> "The UCI acknowledges that while this may not directly contravene
>> existing UCI Regulations, it raises a significant issue concerning the
>> current and wider trend in time trial helmet design, which focuses more
>> on performance than the primary function of a helmet, namely to ensure
>> the safety of the wearer in the event of a fall."
>>
>> More info here:
>> https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/the-uci-to-carry-out-an-in-depth-analysis-of-the-regulations-governing-the/4AkyRPvZtsssES1DPdk3db
>>
>> https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/the-uci-is-banning-time-trial-helmet-optimisations-one-day-after-giro-lid-broke-cover
>>
>> https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-bans-specialized-head-sock-puts-new-giro-helmet-under-investigation/
>>

>> --
>> Add xx to reply
>

> It is rather curious that the "head sock" which is nothing more than a means to connect the helmet to the head should be selected as the point of disagreement. Giro simply changes that to a normal helmet strap and continues to use it.

When you pay off The Powers That Be at UCI, then your
opinion would matter.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

RE: Re: RE: "and take that stupid sock off your head"

<%71GN.120609$TSTa.1064@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102559&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102559

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: RE: Re: RE: "and take that stupid sock off your head"
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 16:48:59 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:48 UTC

On Wed Mar 6 10:38:13 2024 AMuzi wrote:
> On 3/6/2024 10:35 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > On Wed Mar 6 08:49:21 2024 Zen Cycle wrote:
> >> On the heels (see what I did there?) of the new Giro 'Spaceballs"
> >> helmet, the UCI announced a new set of rules regarding time trial
> >> helmets, including a statement the that not only is new Giro is under
> >> investigation, but "The UCI to carry out an in-depth analysis of the
> >> regulations governing the design and use of time trial helmets".
> >>
> >> Evidence seems to indicate there had already been an effort underway,
> >> since the statement includes a ban on the Specialized "headsock".
> >>
> >> "it was concluded that the head sock is a ?non-essential? component
> >> (article 1.3.033 of the UCI Regulations). As a result, the head sock
> >> integrated into the TT5 helmet will no longer be permitted for use at
> >> events on the UCI International Calendar, effective from 2 April, 2024."
> >>
> >> But the statement definitely indicates a more generic overview of time
> >> trial helmet design in general:
> >>
> >> "The UCI acknowledges that while this may not directly contravene
> >> existing UCI Regulations, it raises a significant issue concerning the
> >> current and wider trend in time trial helmet design, which focuses more
> >> on performance than the primary function of a helmet, namely to ensure
> >> the safety of the wearer in the event of a fall."
> >>
> >> More info here:
> >> https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/the-uci-to-carry-out-an-in-depth-analysis-of-the-regulations-governing-the/4AkyRPvZtsssES1DPdk3db
> >>
> >> https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/the-uci-is-banning-time-trial-helmet-optimisations-one-day-after-giro-lid-broke-cover
> >>
> >> https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-bans-specialized-head-sock-puts-new-giro-helmet-under-investigation/
> >>

> >> --
> >> Add xx to reply
> >

> > It is rather curious that the "head sock" which is nothing more than a means to connect the helmet to the head should be selected as the point of disagreement. Giro simply changes that to a normal helmet strap and continues to use it.
>
> When you pay off The Powers That Be at UCI, then your
> opinion would matter.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> am@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I don't believe that. I think that bicycle racing in Europe would take far to large a hit in popularity were the governing body shown to be corrupt.Armstrong's doping almost destroyed the sport.

Re: "and take that stupid sock off your head"

<usa9ho$hmk7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102560&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102560

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 11:35:53 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:35 UTC

On 3/6/2024 10:00 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 3/6/2024 8:49 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:
>> On the heels (see what I did there?) of the new Giro
>> 'Spaceballs" helmet, the UCI announced a new set of rules
>> regarding time trial helmets, including a statement the
>> that not only is new Giro is under investigation, but "The
>> UCI to carry out an in-depth analysis of the regulations
>> governing the design and use of time trial helmets".
>>
>> Evidence seems to indicate there had already been an
>> effort underway, since the statement includes a ban on the
>> Specialized "headsock".
>>
>> "it was concluded that the head sock is a “non-essential”
>> component (article 1.3.033 of the UCI Regulations). As a
>> result, the head sock integrated into the TT5 helmet will
>> no longer be permitted for use at events on the UCI
>> International Calendar, effective from 2 April, 2024."
>>
>> But the statement definitely indicates a more generic
>> overview of time trial helmet design in general:
>>
>> "The UCI acknowledges that while this may not directly
>> contravene existing UCI Regulations, it raises a
>> significant issue concerning the current and wider trend
>> in time trial helmet design, which focuses more on
>> performance than the primary function of a helmet, namely
>> to ensure the safety of the wearer in the event of a fall."
>>
>> More info here:
>> https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/the-uci-to-carry-out-an-in-depth-analysis-of-the-regulations-governing-the/4AkyRPvZtsssES1DPdk3db
>>
>> https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/the-uci-is-banning-time-trial-helmet-optimisations-one-day-after-giro-lid-broke-cover
>>
>> https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-bans-specialized-head-sock-puts-new-giro-helmet-under-investigation/
>
> This could lead to some interesting debates.
>
> UCI: "Your helmet design is too big and too aerodynamic."
>
> Manufacturer: "The aerodynamics are an accident. We just
> added a lot more styrofoam to make the rider safer!"
>
> UCI: "Then your rider is too safe. He needs to be in greater
> danger."
>
> Manufacturer: "We'll take you to court! Also, we're working
> on a full fairing. For safety!"

Oscar Egg (3x Hour Record in a stellar racing career) ran
afoul of ex-post-facto regulations with this innovation
around 1930-ish:

https://alchetron.com/cdn/oscar-egg-81ad8e18-5486-47c6-96cd-1f45e70eb96-resize-750.jpeg