Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: 10 Speed Shimano Dura Ave
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 21:44:52 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 21:44 UTC

I rode the Basso Loto today, the one that Flunky swears does not use 4 mm water bottle mounts. Since 4 mm screws fit and tighten, it must be magic.

In any case, I am waiting for the BB to come in for the Specialized Allez from Colorado. There is most definitely something wrong with the USPS in Colorado. Here is the last tracking infoirmation: "Tue, Mar 5
1:48pm SHIPMENT RECEIVED ACCEPTANCE PENDING TRINIDAD, CO 81082"

That was 4 days ago and more than enough time for me to get the same thing from Texas or North Dakota if they were offering any of these 386EVO BB's. It is my assumption that they stopped making them because of problems with the very light 30 mm shaft. But I used them extensively with no problems before. But it isn't like I can put out any power since returning from the concussion. Before that I had these huge knobs of quadracepts and those completely disappeared.

In any case, I will install the BB and the EVO cranks when the BB comes in.

I also found a like-new set of 10 speed Dura Ace levers for a good price and ordered those as well. I will install them on the Fondriest X Status and put the Campy Record Group up for sale. The shifting and brakes on the Shimano 10 speeds work better all around.

It is a bit odd that the 10 speed works so well and the Campy 11 speed needs continuous adjusting. Also the Campy 12 speed doesn't need the constant attention but it also seems to have a lot of friction. It has all of the 12 speed components from cranks, cogs and derailleurs so screw it.

I will have to order a Shimano 105 medium arm rear derailleur so that I have an identical group on the Specialized, Basso and Fondriest. I will have to keep an eye open for another set of Bontrager X-lites.

I will keep the BMC for winter riding. All of the rest will go up for sale, Nothing is selling but that can't last long. I am seeing large club rides returning. That means that they will want a spare bike. Though I may put a 105 group on it so that I don't get confused about which lever to push.

While yoiu can get a cheap Trek, they all have low end Shimano parts on then. And no matter how flashy you make a Tiagra look it is still a Tiagra.

I was going to point out an article about Continental 5000 vs Gatorskins to Roger but it was insultting to anyone's intelligence - it came in Bicycling. The bullshit about Gatorskins having a better wet weather rubber compound was almost as good as Krygowski's only 12 EV's have exploded in the last 10 years. While they certainly aren't as bad as Roger was presentlng them, neither do they have great traction and the tread pattern on a Gatorskin is copied from the GP5000's and isn't a "tread pattern" designed to increase wet traction per se' but reduces aerodynamic drag on the rolling tire. So I can't use it to pull Roger's leg. Where could Bicycling possibly get writers that stupid?

Re: 10 Speed Shimano Dura Ave

<uskdt3$305l8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102648&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102648

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: 10 Speed Shimano Dura Ave
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 08:51:31 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:51 UTC

On 3/9/2024 3:44 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I rode the Basso Loto today, the one that Flunky swears does not use 4 mm water bottle mounts. Since 4 mm screws fit and tighten, it must be magic.
>
> In any case, I am waiting for the BB to come in for the Specialized Allez from Colorado. There is most definitely something wrong with the USPS in Colorado. Here is the last tracking infoirmation: "Tue, Mar 5
> 1:48pm SHIPMENT RECEIVED ACCEPTANCE PENDING TRINIDAD, CO 81082"
>
> That was 4 days ago and more than enough time for me to get the same thing from Texas or North Dakota if they were offering any of these 386EVO BB's. It is my assumption that they stopped making them because of problems with the very light 30 mm shaft. But I used them extensively with no problems before. But it isn't like I can put out any power since returning from the concussion. Before that I had these huge knobs of quadracepts and those completely disappeared.
>
> In any case, I will install the BB and the EVO cranks when the BB comes in.
>
> I also found a like-new set of 10 speed Dura Ace levers for a good price and ordered those as well. I will install them on the Fondriest X Status and put the Campy Record Group up for sale. The shifting and brakes on the Shimano 10 speeds work better all around.
>
> It is a bit odd that the 10 speed works so well and the Campy 11 speed needs continuous adjusting. Also the Campy 12 speed doesn't need the constant attention but it also seems to have a lot of friction. It has all of the 12 speed components from cranks, cogs and derailleurs so screw it.
>
> I will have to order a Shimano 105 medium arm rear derailleur so that I have an identical group on the Specialized, Basso and Fondriest. I will have to keep an eye open for another set of Bontrager X-lites.
>
> I will keep the BMC for winter riding. All of the rest will go up for sale, Nothing is selling but that can't last long. I am seeing large club rides returning. That means that they will want a spare bike. Though I may put a 105 group on it so that I don't get confused about which lever to push.
>
> While yoiu can get a cheap Trek, they all have low end Shimano parts on then. And no matter how flashy you make a Tiagra look it is still a Tiagra.
>
> I was going to point out an article about Continental 5000 vs Gatorskins to Roger but it was insultting to anyone's intelligence - it came in Bicycling. The bullshit about Gatorskins having a better wet weather rubber compound was almost as good as Krygowski's only 12 EV's have exploded in the last 10 years. While they certainly aren't as bad as Roger was presentlng them, neither do they have great traction and the tread pattern on a Gatorskin is copied from the GP5000's and isn't a "tread pattern" designed to increase wet traction per se' but reduces aerodynamic drag on the rolling tire. So I can't use it to pull Roger's leg. Where could Bicycling possibly get writers that stupid?

"acceptance pending" indicates your shipper hasn't yet
dragged himself over to the UPS depot to drop it off.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

RE: Re: 10 Speed Shimano Dura Ave

<%5kHN.412936$Ama9.155325@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102652&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102652

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: RE: Re: 10 Speed Shimano Dura Ave
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 15:12:59 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 15:12 UTC

On Sun Mar 10 08:51:31 2024 AMuzi wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > I was going to point out an article about Continental 5000 vs Gatorskins to Roger but it was insultting to anyone's intelligence - it came in Bicycling. The bullshit about Gatorskins having a better wet weather rubber compound was almost as good as Krygowski's only 12 EV's have exploded in the last 10 years. While they certainly aren't as bad as Roger was presentlng them, neither do they have great traction and the tread pattern on a Gatorskin is copied from the GP5000's and isn't a "tread pattern" designed to increase wet traction per se' but reduces aerodynamic drag on the rolling tire. So I can't use it to pull Roger's leg. Where could Bicycling possibly get writers that stupid?
> >

> "acceptance pending" indicates your shipper hasn't yet
> dragged himself over to the UPS depot to drop it off.

Andrew ir says "Shipment received". However it turns out to be the updating of the tracking system that's screwed up and it will be delivered tomorrow.

But Colorado orders ALWAYS take forever. I just ordered another Flite saddle from Portland and it appears that it will be delivered tomorrow. While the BB was mailed on the 5th and here it is the 10th. This is a small box that weights 5 oz's. Travel time is the same as ground mail. Pony Express would be faster.