I *____knew* I had some reason for not logging you off... If I could just remember what it was.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / New Bottom bracket

SubjectAuthor
* New Bottom bracketCatrike Ryder
+* Re: New Bottom bracketCatrike Ryder
|`* Re: New Bottom bracketAMuzi
| `* Re: New Bottom bracketCatrike Ryder
|  `* Re: New Bottom bracketAMuzi
|   `* Re: New Bottom bracketCatrike Ryder
|    `* Re: New Bottom bracketCatrike Ryder
|     `* Re: New Bottom bracketCatrike Ryder
|      `* Re: New Bottom bracketAMuzi
|       `* Re: New Bottom bracketCatrike Ryder
|        `- Re: New Bottom bracketCatrike Ryder
`* Re: New Bottom bracketShadow
 `* Re: New Bottom bracketAMuzi
  +* Re: New Bottom bracketShadow
  |`- Re: New Bottom bracketAMuzi
  `- Re: New Bottom bracketFrank Krygowski

1
New Bottom bracket

<8gnqvilkpvvf30rlkmnq8pgkau6qvu1fus@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102822&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102822

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: New Bottom bracket
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 06:47:38 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 10:47 UTC

I've been putting off the bottom bracket replacement for about a year
now, but yesterday about 10 miles from my truck I shut off the music
and heard clicking noises when I cranked. Given that it has over
38000 miles on it, I ordered a new one. I feel a little flutter when I
crank now when I make an effort to concentrate on it. Shame on me for
putting off such a relatively cheap easy repair.

Re: New Bottom bracket

<22pqvi941vpt2c51o4t4lcapghc0t194q2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102823&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102823

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: New Bottom bracket
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 07:00:20 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 11:00 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 06:47:38 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>I've been putting off the bottom bracket replacement for about a year
>now, but yesterday about 10 miles from my truck I shut off the music
>and heard clicking noises when I cranked. Given that it has over
>38000 miles on it, I ordered a new one. I feel a little flutter when I
>crank now when I make an effort to concentrate on it. Shame on me for
>putting off such a relatively cheap easy repair.

Which makes me wonder: Has anyone ever heard of a total bottom bracket
bearing failure that rendered the bike unable to be pedaled?

Re: New Bottom bracket

<utk0h5$2uhu4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102825&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102825

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:19:32 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:19 UTC

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spindlfz.jpg
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spindlph.jpg
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spinmalo.jpg
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/STBBRUST.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: New Bottom bracket

<pr3rvid592ut6ho42rsukrnaglsd1c9tqf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102826&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102826

From: Sh@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 11:31:00 -0300
 by: Shadow - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:31 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 06:47:38 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>I've been putting off the bottom bracket replacement for about a year
>now, but yesterday about 10 miles from my truck I shut off the music
>and heard clicking noises when I cranked. Given that it has over
>38000 miles on it, I ordered a new one. I feel a little flutter when I
>crank now when I make an effort to concentrate on it. Shame on me for
>putting off such a relatively cheap easy repair.

Last week my back wheel suddenly developed a noticeable rub. I
checked the bearings, and one of them looked as if it had been hit by
a hammer on one side.
The wheel was not loose or tight before the "break". The other
bearings look OK, and the cones are a bit worn, but nothing too bad.
No signs of rust.

Photo - I put it in a hole so it wouldn't roll. The rest is
perfectly smooth and round.

<https://postimg.cc/Jsc3YSm2>

Anyone know what can cause a flattened ball bearing?
The bearings have around 6000Km on them.

Waiting for a replacement axle/cone/bearings. These things
take time in Brazil.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Re: New Bottom bracket

<utkb6g$313dq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102827&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102827

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 11:21:36 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:21 UTC

On 3/22/2024 9:31 AM, Shadow wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 06:47:38 -0400, Catrike Ryder
> <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>

>> I've been putting off the bottom bracket replacement for about a year
>> now, but yesterday about 10 miles from my truck I shut off the music
>> and heard clicking noises when I cranked. Given that it has over
>> 38000 miles on it, I ordered a new one. I feel a little flutter when I
>> crank now when I make an effort to concentrate on it. Shame on me for
>> putting off such a relatively cheap easy repair.
>
> Last week my back wheel suddenly developed a noticeable rub. I
> checked the bearings, and one of them looked as if it had been hit by
> a hammer on one side.
> The wheel was not loose or tight before the "break". The other
> bearings look OK, and the cones are a bit worn, but nothing too bad.
> No signs of rust.
>
> Photo - I put it in a hole so it wouldn't roll. The rest is
> perfectly smooth and round.
>
> <https://postimg.cc/Jsc3YSm2>
>
> Anyone know what can cause a flattened ball bearing?
> The bearings have around 6000Km on them.
>
> Waiting for a replacement axle/cone/bearings. These things
> take time in Brazil.
> []'s

Typical degradation. The usual path by is some grit in the
system. The ball chips and, once damaged, eats itself by
adding more hardened jagged swarf. Without that first chip,
a set of bearings will eventually look all look satin, not
shiny, from abrasion.

Clean the system thoroughly and rebuild with plenty of fresh
grease and new balls.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: New Bottom bracket

<l5nrvi5atj24p3d00s64g0auuhfd8o9vfd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102829&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102829

From: Sh@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:53:26 -0300
 by: Shadow - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:53 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 11:21:36 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 3/22/2024 9:31 AM, Shadow wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 06:47:38 -0400, Catrike Ryder
>> <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>>

>>> I've been putting off the bottom bracket replacement for about a year
>>> now, but yesterday about 10 miles from my truck I shut off the music
>>> and heard clicking noises when I cranked. Given that it has over
>>> 38000 miles on it, I ordered a new one. I feel a little flutter when I
>>> crank now when I make an effort to concentrate on it. Shame on me for
>>> putting off such a relatively cheap easy repair.
>>
>> Last week my back wheel suddenly developed a noticeable rub. I
>> checked the bearings, and one of them looked as if it had been hit by
>> a hammer on one side.
>> The wheel was not loose or tight before the "break". The other
>> bearings look OK, and the cones are a bit worn, but nothing too bad.
>> No signs of rust.
>>
>> Photo - I put it in a hole so it wouldn't roll. The rest is
>> perfectly smooth and round.
>>
>> <https://postimg.cc/Jsc3YSm2>
>>
>> Anyone know what can cause a flattened ball bearing?
>> The bearings have around 6000Km on them.
>>
>> Waiting for a replacement axle/cone/bearings. These things
>> take time in Brazil.
>> []'s
>
>Typical degradation. The usual path by is some grit in the
>system. The ball chips and, once damaged, eats itself by
>adding more hardened jagged swarf. Without that first chip,
>a set of bearings will eventually look all look satin, not
>shiny, from abrasion.
>
>Clean the system thoroughly and rebuild with plenty of fresh
>grease and new balls.

TY
On my old bike I'd do that(and replace anything worn) when the
wheels started to wobble a bit. I never had a "sudden" breakage like
this one. It was a cheap 1 speed Caloi bought in 1975 which lasted me
through to 2014 and tens of thousands of Km.

How often should I clean out the bearings, cups and cones and
re-grease them?
I ride about 10 km a day. Rarely rainy, and if it rains I dry
the bike immediately.
PS It's a Shimano, FWIW.
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Google Fuchsia - 2021

Re: New Bottom bracket

<utkqnj$34sm7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102830&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102830

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:46:44 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:46 UTC

On 3/22/2024 2:53 PM, Shadow wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 11:21:36 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
>> On 3/22/2024 9:31 AM, Shadow wrote:

>>> Last week my back wheel suddenly developed a noticeable rub. I
>>> checked the bearings, and one of them looked as if it had been hit by
>>> a hammer on one side.
>>> The wheel was not loose or tight before the "break". The other
>>> bearings look OK, and the cones are a bit worn, but nothing too bad.
>>> No signs of rust.
>>>
>>> Photo - I put it in a hole so it wouldn't roll. The rest is
>>> perfectly smooth and round.
>>>
>>> <https://postimg.cc/Jsc3YSm2>
>>>
>>> Anyone know what can cause a flattened ball bearing?
>>> The bearings have around 6000Km on them.
>>>
>>> Waiting for a replacement axle/cone/bearings. These things
>>> take time in Brazil.
>>> []'s
>>
>> Typical degradation. The usual path by is some grit in the
>> system. The ball chips and, once damaged, eats itself by
>> adding more hardened jagged swarf. Without that first chip,
>> a set of bearings will eventually look all look satin, not
>> shiny, from abrasion.
>>
>> Clean the system thoroughly and rebuild with plenty of fresh
>> grease and new balls.
>
> TY
> On my old bike I'd do that(and replace anything worn) when the
> wheels started to wobble a bit. I never had a "sudden" breakage like
> this one. It was a cheap 1 speed Caloi bought in 1975 which lasted me
> through to 2014 and tens of thousands of Km.
>
> How often should I clean out the bearings, cups and cones and
> re-grease them?
> I ride about 10 km a day. Rarely rainy, and if it rains I dry
> the bike immediately.
> PS It's a Shimano, FWIW.

I know them; we sold Caloi here.

Grease degrades as the oil in it dissipates leaving a sticky
crud and also dirt will find its way into the assembly.
Loose-ball systems generally need rebuild at between 5 and
10 years*, depending on mileage and as you note depending on
rain, salt, mud etc.

* extreme mileage and/or inhospitable environments (you know
who you are) will typically need service earlier.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: New Bottom bracket

<mg8uvi54b4kpu4okpv5n6qfa23q2ilu0h5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102831&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102831

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:41:52 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:41 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:19:32 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 3/22/2024 6:00 AM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 06:47:38 -0400, Catrike Ryder
>> <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>>

>>> I've been putting off the bottom bracket replacement for about a year
>>> now, but yesterday about 10 miles from my truck I shut off the music
>>> and heard clicking noises when I cranked. Given that it has over
>>> 38000 miles on it, I ordered a new one. I feel a little flutter when I
>>> crank now when I make an effort to concentrate on it. Shame on me for
>>> putting off such a relatively cheap easy repair.
>>
>> Which makes me wonder: Has anyone ever heard of a total bottom bracket
>> bearing failure that rendered the bike unable to be pedaled?
>
>http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spindlfz.jpg
>http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spindlph.jpg
>http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spinmalo.jpg
>http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/STBBRUST.JPG

I guess I'll wait for the new BB before I ride again.

Re: New Bottom bracket

<utnb5n$3qtep$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102832&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102832

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:39:36 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 19:39 UTC

On 3/23/2024 1:41 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:19:32 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
>> On 3/22/2024 6:00 AM, Catrike Ryder wrote:

>>> Which makes me wonder: Has anyone ever heard of a total bottom bracket
>>> bearing failure that rendered the bike unable to be pedaled?
>>
>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spindlfz.jpg
>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spindlph.jpg
>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spinmalo.jpg
>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/STBBRUST.JPG
>
> I guess I'll wait for the new BB before I ride again.

Those are not common failures, in fact the noise usually
drives people to distraction long before serious problems.

So yes, small incidence. Just not zero.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: New Bottom bracket

<dnkuvi5s6spiosij5ohlmk6lv43d4sjtfl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102833&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102833

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:58:04 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 22:58 UTC

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:39:36 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 3/23/2024 1:41 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:

>>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spindlfz.jpg
>>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spindlph.jpg
>>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/spinmalo.jpg
>>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/STBBRUST.JPG
>>
>> I guess I'll wait for the new BB before I ride again.
>
>Those are not common failures, in fact the noise usually
>drives people to distraction long before serious problems.
>
>So yes, small incidence. Just not zero.

Actually, I was just rolling my eyes at the broken cranks you posted.
I didn't really think I'd get stranded, in fact, when I finally got
around to checking it, the crankset (Sram Truvita Elita) had just
loosened up a little. Had I taken a look after the ride I'd have
figured it out, but I'd done over 50 miles and was just happy to have
been able to get up off the Catrike and load it in the truck. I pulled
it apart today and the bearings look Ok. I'll probably ride a couple
times before the new BB gets here.. due on the 29th.

Re: New Bottom bracket

<uto3tn$7vd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102835&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102835

From: frkrygow@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 22:41:59 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 02:41 UTC

On 3/22/2024 12:21 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 3/22/2024 9:31 AM, Shadow wrote:
>>
>>     Last week my back wheel suddenly developed a noticeable rub. I
>> checked the bearings, and one of them looked as if it had been hit by
>> a hammer on one side.
>>     The wheel was not loose or tight before the "break". The other
>> bearings look OK, and the cones are a bit worn, but nothing too bad.
>> No signs of rust.
>>
>>     Photo - I put it in a hole so it wouldn't roll. The rest is
>> perfectly smooth and round.
>>
>> <https://postimg.cc/Jsc3YSm2>
>>
>>     Anyone know what can cause a flattened ball bearing?
>>     The bearings have around 6000Km on them.
>>
>>     Waiting for a replacement axle/cone/bearings. These things
>> take time in Brazil.
>>     []'s
>
> Typical degradation.  The usual path by is some grit in the system. The
> ball chips and, once damaged, eats itself by adding more hardened jagged
> swarf. Without that first chip, a set of bearings will eventually look
> all look satin, not shiny, from abrasion.
>
> Clean the system thoroughly and rebuild with plenty of fresh grease and
> new balls.

Years ago, a friend's pedal seized on a long ride. We stopped, I fooled
wiggled it a bit and it freed up, but almost immediately seized again.
So I helped him pull off the outer cap. We found a bearing ball split
neatly in half. I have no idea what triggered that failure, but stuff
happens.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: New Bottom bracket

<fc280jhjl7etkl851ddlgshap393cu1fk1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102878&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102878

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:14:33 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:14 UTC

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:58:04 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:39:36 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>>> I guess I'll wait for the new BB before I ride again.
>>
>>Those are not common failures, in fact the noise usually
>>drives people to distraction long before serious problems.
>>
>>So yes, small incidence. Just not zero.
>
>Actually, I was just rolling my eyes at the broken cranks you posted.
>I didn't really think I'd get stranded, in fact, when I finally got
>around to checking it, the crankset (Sram Truvita Elita) had just
>loosened up a little. Had I taken a look after the ride I'd have
>figured it out, but I'd done over 50 miles and was just happy to have
>been able to get up off the Catrike and load it in the truck. I pulled
>it apart today and the bearings look Ok. I'll probably ride a couple
>times before the new BB gets here.. due on the 29th.

I'm still going to change out the bottom bracket when the new one gets
here, of course, but on my 50 mile ride yesterday, the old one with
over 38,000 miles on it, had no problems. I will have to include a
check for the crankset possibly loosening up on my preride checks. I
have no idea how long it was loose. I wouldn't have noticed it had it
not been the noise the it made when it wobbled back and forth with
each pedal stroke.

Re: New Bottom bracket

<an5h0j9oesfdio44jr9iuofb9rb1lvgjph@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102924&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102924

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:01:15 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 23:01 UTC

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:14:33 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:58:04 -0400, Catrike Ryder
><Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>>>Those are not common failures, in fact the noise usually
>>>drives people to distraction long before serious problems.
>>>
>>>So yes, small incidence. Just not zero.
>>
>>Actually, I was just rolling my eyes at the broken cranks you posted.
>>I didn't really think I'd get stranded, in fact, when I finally got
>>around to checking it, the crankset (Sram Truvita Elita) had just
>>loosened up a little. Had I taken a look after the ride I'd have
>>figured it out, but I'd done over 50 miles and was just happy to have
>>been able to get up off the Catrike and load it in the truck. I pulled
>>it apart today and the bearings look Ok. I'll probably ride a couple
>>times before the new BB gets here.. due on the 29th.
>
>I'm still going to change out the bottom bracket when the new one gets
>here, of course, but on my 50 mile ride yesterday, the old one with
>over 38,000 miles on it, had no problems. I will have to include a
>check for the crankset possibly loosening up on my preride checks. I
>have no idea how long it was loose. I wouldn't have noticed it had it
>not been the noise the it made when it wobbled back and forth with
>each pedal stroke.

Today, about halfway out, I started hearing and feeling the "tick"
again. It seemed to come and go randomly all along the 25 mile return
trip. The crankset is tight, and I can't find anything external making
any kind of contact. I happens with all three chainrings, so it's not
a loose chainring. It occurs when the chainring side is at the
deraileur location, but it only happens when rotating as in a power
stroke. I haven't had a chance to change out the bottom bracket yet,
so I'm curious as to what I'm going to see when I get it apart.

Re: New Bottom bracket

<uubsd6$1r9to$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102929&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102929

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 09:36:22 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 14:36 UTC

On 3/30/2024 6:01 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:14:33 -0400, Catrike Ryder
> <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:58:04 -0400, Catrike Ryder
>> <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>>> Actually, I was just rolling my eyes at the broken cranks you posted.
>>> I didn't really think I'd get stranded, in fact, when I finally got
>>> around to checking it, the crankset (Sram Truvita Elita) had just
>>> loosened up a little. Had I taken a look after the ride I'd have
>>> figured it out, but I'd done over 50 miles and was just happy to have
>>> been able to get up off the Catrike and load it in the truck. I pulled
>>> it apart today and the bearings look Ok. I'll probably ride a couple
>>> times before the new BB gets here.. due on the 29th.
>>
>> I'm still going to change out the bottom bracket when the new one gets
>> here, of course, but on my 50 mile ride yesterday, the old one with
>> over 38,000 miles on it, had no problems. I will have to include a
>> check for the crankset possibly loosening up on my preride checks. I
>> have no idea how long it was loose. I wouldn't have noticed it had it
>> not been the noise the it made when it wobbled back and forth with
>> each pedal stroke.
>
> Today, about halfway out, I started hearing and feeling the "tick"
> again. It seemed to come and go randomly all along the 25 mile return
> trip. The crankset is tight, and I can't find anything external making
> any kind of contact. I happens with all three chainrings, so it's not
> a loose chainring. It occurs when the chainring side is at the
> deraileur location, but it only happens when rotating as in a power
> stroke. I haven't had a chance to change out the bottom bracket yet,
> so I'm curious as to what I'm going to see when I get it apart.

Could be a bearing problem (and I understand you ordered a
replacement already. Could be a cup loose in the frame.

On square cranks, a loose bolt/arm makes noise (much less
likely on a spline crank). I think you said you ensured
pedals are tight in the arms, yes?

You seem to have eliminated chainring bolts and a front gear
wire hitting the arm so that about covers 'crank rotation
noises'.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: New Bottom bracket

<1b9j0j1v4h13kd6j6j7oocpfihpoot2gtl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102932&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102932

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 14:08:57 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 18:08 UTC

On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 09:36:22 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 3/30/2024 6:01 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:14:33 -0400, Catrike Ryder
>> <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>>> I'm still going to change out the bottom bracket when the new one gets
>>> here, of course, but on my 50 mile ride yesterday, the old one with
>>> over 38,000 miles on it, had no problems. I will have to include a
>>> check for the crankset possibly loosening up on my preride checks. I
>>> have no idea how long it was loose. I wouldn't have noticed it had it
>>> not been the noise the it made when it wobbled back and forth with
>>> each pedal stroke.
>>
>> Today, about halfway out, I started hearing and feeling the "tick"
>> again. It seemed to come and go randomly all along the 25 mile return
>> trip. The crankset is tight, and I can't find anything external making
>> any kind of contact. I happens with all three chainrings, so it's not
>> a loose chainring. It occurs when the chainring side is at the
>> deraileur location, but it only happens when rotating as in a power
>> stroke. I haven't had a chance to change out the bottom bracket yet,
>> so I'm curious as to what I'm going to see when I get it apart.
>
>Could be a bearing problem (and I understand you ordered a
>replacement already. Could be a cup loose in the frame.
>
>On square cranks, a loose bolt/arm makes noise (much less
>likely on a spline crank). I think you said you ensured
>pedals are tight in the arms, yes?
>
>You seem to have eliminated chainring bolts and a front gear
>wire hitting the arm so that about covers 'crank rotation
>noises'.

I think I've eliminated everything but the BB bearings. I have the new
BB and tomorrow I will install it, assuming I bought the right one.

Re: New Bottom bracket

<ppvk0jt7ivhtdue51nllbv27cm5lbnshmg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102945&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102945

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 05:49:28 -0400
References: <8gnqvilkpvvf30rlkmnq8pgkau6qvu1fus@4ax.com> <22pqvi941vpt2c51o4t4lcapghc0t194q2@4ax.com> <utk0h5$2uhu4$1@dont-email.me> <mg8uvi54b4kpu4okpv5n6qfa23q2ilu0h5@4ax.com> <utnb5n$3qtep$1@dont-email.me> <dnkuvi5s6spiosij5ohlmk6lv43d4sjtfl@4ax.com> <fc280jhjl7etkl851ddlgshap393cu1fk1@4ax.com> <an5h0j9oesfdio44jr9iuofb9rb1lvgjph@4ax.com> <uubsd6$1r9to$1@dont-email.me> <1b9j0j1v4h13kd6j6j7oocpfihpoot2gtl@4ax.com>
 by: Catrike Ryder - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:49 UTC

On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 14:08:57 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 09:36:22 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
>>On 3/30/2024 6:01 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:

>>> Today, about halfway out, I started hearing and feeling the "tick"
>>> again. It seemed to come and go randomly all along the 25 mile return
>>> trip. The crankset is tight, and I can't find anything external making
>>> any kind of contact. I happens with all three chainrings, so it's not
>>> a loose chainring. It occurs when the chainring side is at the
>>> deraileur location, but it only happens when rotating as in a power
>>> stroke. I haven't had a chance to change out the bottom bracket yet,
>>> so I'm curious as to what I'm going to see when I get it apart.
>>
>>Could be a bearing problem (and I understand you ordered a
>>replacement already. Could be a cup loose in the frame.
>>
>>On square cranks, a loose bolt/arm makes noise (much less
>>likely on a spline crank). I think you said you ensured
>>pedals are tight in the arms, yes?
>>
>>You seem to have eliminated chainring bolts and a front gear
>>wire hitting the arm so that about covers 'crank rotation
>>noises'.
>
>I think I've eliminated everything but the BB bearings. I have the new
>BB and tomorrow I will install it, assuming I bought the right one.

I went out late yesterday afternoon to change it out, and I discovered
that both bearings were intact and functioning but not as they should.
The drive side was slow, like it needed grease, and the left side
rotated freer, but had a definate hicup. I can't remember when I had
them apart for cleaning and grease, so it's been at least 6 or 7
years.