From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: idiot bicycle thief
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 09:45:48 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 14:45 UTC

https://cwbchicago.com/2024/03/chicago-dicks-rei-shoplifting-charges-filed-lincoln-park.html
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: idiot bicycle thief

<uuckni$20v08$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102935&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102935

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: idiot bicycle thief
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 14:31:30 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 21:31 UTC

On 3/31/2024 7:45 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> https://cwbchicago.com/2024/03/chicago-dicks-rei-shoplifting-charges-filed-lincoln-park.html

"He is benefiting from a unilateral decision by Cook County State’s
Attorney Kim Foxx to not enforce shopliftings of less than $1,000 as
felonies, even though state law sets the threshold at $300.

Foxx will be leaving office later this year, and both the Democratic and
Republican candidates have said they will enforce the law as written."

Nice, but unlikely. The reason for these crimes not being prosecuted as
felonies is because of pressure from the court system and the prison system.

To enforce the law as written will require large expenditures to expand
jails and prisons and to expand the court system. This is the same
problem in many states, people want the government to be "tough on
crime" but they really don't want the higher taxes needed to prosecute
and incarcerate non-violent criminals.

Re: idiot bicycle thief

<uucqca$226ov$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102940&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102940

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 18:07:55 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 23:07 UTC

On 3/31/2024 4:31 PM, sms wrote:
> On 3/31/2024 7:45 AM, AMuzi wrote:
>> https://cwbchicago.com/2024/03/chicago-dicks-rei-shoplifting-charges-filed-lincoln-park.html
>
> "He is benefiting from a unilateral decision by Cook County
> State’s Attorney Kim Foxx to not enforce shopliftings of
> less than $1,000 as felonies, even though state law sets the
> threshold at $300.
>
> Foxx will be leaving office later this year, and both the
> Democratic and Republican candidates have said they will
> enforce the law as written."
>
> Nice, but unlikely. The reason for these crimes not being
> prosecuted as felonies is because of pressure from the court
> system and the prison system.
>
> To enforce the law as written will require large
> expenditures to expand jails and prisons and to expand the
> court system. This is the same problem in many states,
> people want the government to be "tough on crime" but they
> really don't want the higher taxes needed to prosecute and
> incarcerate non-violent criminals.

Well, we can agree that the voters have spoken.

But that doesn't change the fact that non prosecution or non
incarceration also has costs:

https://cwbchicago.com/2024/03/chicago-chinatown-expressway-shooting-2022-on-bail.html

https://cwbchicago.com/2024/03/chicago-pretrial-release-suspect-on-electronic-monitoring-west-loop-shooting.html

https://cwbchicago.com/2024/03/suburban-chicago-man-charged-guns-narcotics-while-on-electronic-monitoring.html

(a few of today's examples. Pick any day, any large city,
same story)