From: funkmaster@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Don't make me have to come over there.....
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:02:18 -0400
 by: Zen Cycle - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 13:02 UTC

The UCI issued what is likely their last word for a while on the Great
Hookless Rim/Tire Controversy of 2024:

https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/use-of-hookless-rims-with-tubeless-tyres-the-uci-reminds-riders-of-the-rules/5qkBkqti5bgFQ2d7bAiRy7

Basically, they've told teams to follow the published rules:

"the UCI reminds teams and riders of the requirement set out in article
1.3.018 of the UCI Regulations, which imposes compliance with
International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) standards
5775-2:2021 and 5775-1:2023 in cycling competitions."

and that they are punting the technical advisory decisions to SafeR - a
'cycling safety' conglomerate of race organizers, pro riders
associations, and the UCI.

"The UCI has taken the decision to mandate SafeR.....to work with all
parties concerned, including teams, riders and the cycling industry, to
explore potential improvements and clarifications regarding the use of
hookless rims with tubeless tyres....."

The SafeR structure is introduced here:
"https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/stakeholders-of-professional-road-cycling-unite-to-launch-safer-an/2dHAAn3TC3p5tfFHDWmz63"

Their long term approach is a bit more nebulous, as can be seen in the
last sentence of the statement.

"the UCI will carry out an in-depth analysis of the appropriateness of
the current requirements for the use of different types of equipment in
competition, in particular wheels, to ensure that these requirements
guarantee the safety of riders, are adapted to professional cycling, and
do not rely exclusively or for the most part on the diligence and
internal processes of manufacturers."

Not sure how they're going to pull that last bit "do not rely
exclusively or for the most part on the diligence and internal processes
of manufacturers" though, unless they start conducting factory audits
and a regular production testing scheme.

--
Add xx to reply