From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: cataract surgery update
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 03:32:12 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 07:32 UTC

It's been two years since my cataract surgery. I had my annual eye
checkup yesterday and discovered my right eye has deteriorated to to
20-40. The doctor said that quite often there's a "cloudy" buildup
under the new lens and that's the problem. She said it's easily
corrected with a lazer. Done in the office without surgery. Mine isn't
bad enough for that yet, and my left eye is still 20-20, even though
there's some cloudy stuff there too. Maybe next year.

Re: cataract surgery update

<hkts0jt3tah578v3jontbtfshjfa1u975j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102980&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102980

From: Sh@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: cataract surgery update
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 06:52:23 -0300
 by: Shadow - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 09:52 UTC

On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 03:32:12 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>It's been two years since my cataract surgery. I had my annual eye
>checkup yesterday and discovered my right eye has deteriorated to to
>20-40. The doctor said that quite often there's a "cloudy" buildup
>under the new lens and that's the problem. She said it's easily
>corrected with a lazer. Done in the office without surgery. Mine isn't
>bad enough for that yet, and my left eye is still 20-20, even though
>there's some cloudy stuff there too. Maybe next year.

My mother had that. A side effect of her cataract surgery. A
build-up of antibody-antigens in the vitreous humor of both eyes. She
did the laser therapy(can't remember if it was one or various
sessions) and had perfect eyesight until she died, a decade later.
There's no reason to put it off. You only live once...
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Re: cataract surgery update

<o2qt0jphde8ie84b15a0m0antva423n25j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102989&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102989

From: jeffl@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 11:02:53 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:02 UTC

On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 03:32:12 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>It's been two years since my cataract surgery. I had my annual eye
>checkup yesterday and discovered my right eye has deteriorated to to
>20-40. The doctor said that quite often there's a "cloudy" buildup
>under the new lens and that's the problem. She said it's easily
>corrected with a lazer. Done in the office without surgery. Mine isn't
>bad enough for that yet, and my left eye is still 20-20, even though
>there's some cloudy stuff there too. Maybe next year.

"Posterior Capsular Opacification"
<https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24737-posterior-capsular-opacification>
"Secondary cataracts are the most common complication of cataract
surgery. They affect up to 50% of people who have cataract surgery
within five years of the surgery."

"What to Know About a Posterior Capsulotomy (YAG Laser)"
<https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/cataracts/what-to-know-about-posterior-capsulotomy-yag-laser>
"About 20% to 50% of patients will deal with it within 2-5 years of
the cataract surgery."
"It’s a surgery that can be done in the ophthalmologist’s office and
can take as little as five minutes".

It's too soon for me to need the procedure. Best of luck with
whatever you decide to do.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: cataract surgery update

<3srt0jtt77bf76ljml736rdpji8tontbe8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102991&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102991

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 14:21:36 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:21 UTC

On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 11:02:53 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 03:32:12 -0400, Catrike Ryder
><Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>
>>It's been two years since my cataract surgery. I had my annual eye
>>checkup yesterday and discovered my right eye has deteriorated to to
>>20-40. The doctor said that quite often there's a "cloudy" buildup
>>under the new lens and that's the problem. She said it's easily
>>corrected with a lazer. Done in the office without surgery. Mine isn't
>>bad enough for that yet, and my left eye is still 20-20, even though
>>there's some cloudy stuff there too. Maybe next year.
>
>"Posterior Capsular Opacification"
><https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24737-posterior-capsular-opacification>
>"Secondary cataracts are the most common complication of cataract
>surgery. They affect up to 50% of people who have cataract surgery
>within five years of the surgery."
>
>"What to Know About a Posterior Capsulotomy (YAG Laser)"
><https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/cataracts/what-to-know-about-posterior-capsulotomy-yag-laser>
>"About 20% to 50% of patients will deal with it within 2-5 years of
>the cataract surgery."
>"It’s a surgery that can be done in the ophthalmologist’s office and
>can take as little as five minutes".
>
>It's too soon for me to need the procedure. Best of luck with
>whatever you decide to do.

I'll definately do it as soon as the doctor thinks I need it.

Re: cataract surgery update

<2n5u0jtu25mqul84g2hlac1srlilh17ni1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103007&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103007

From: jeffl@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 14:42:18 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 21:42 UTC

On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 14:21:36 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 11:02:53 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 03:32:12 -0400, Catrike Ryder
>><Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>>
>>>It's been two years since my cataract surgery. I had my annual eye
>>>checkup yesterday and discovered my right eye has deteriorated to to
>>>20-40. The doctor said that quite often there's a "cloudy" buildup
>>>under the new lens and that's the problem. She said it's easily
>>>corrected with a lazer. Done in the office without surgery. Mine isn't
>>>bad enough for that yet, and my left eye is still 20-20, even though
>>>there's some cloudy stuff there too. Maybe next year.
>>
>>"Posterior Capsular Opacification"
>><https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24737-posterior-capsular-opacification>
>>"Secondary cataracts are the most common complication of cataract
>>surgery. They affect up to 50% of people who have cataract surgery
>>within five years of the surgery."
>>
>>"What to Know About a Posterior Capsulotomy (YAG Laser)"
>><https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/cataracts/what-to-know-about-posterior-capsulotomy-yag-laser>
>>"About 20% to 50% of patients will deal with it within 2-5 years of
>>the cataract surgery."
>>"It’s a surgery that can be done in the ophthalmologist’s office and
>>can take as little as five minutes".
>>
>>It's too soon for me to need the procedure. Best of luck with
>>whatever you decide to do.
>
>I'll definately do it as soon as the doctor thinks I need it.

The real question is whether your corrected vision is sufficiently
impaired to qualify for Medicare and insurance funding. The
guidelines might be useful:

"Capsule Opacification Following Cataract Surgery: Discussion and YAG
Laser Capsulotomy"
<https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/view/lcd.aspx?lcdid=33946&ver=15&=>
See the part starting with:
"Capsulotomy is covered when each of the following criteria are met
and clearly documented".

20/50 or worse is considered sufficient to qualify, but 20/40
(corrected) is considered marginal. That was an issue for my initial
cataract surgeries. Fortunately, the ophthalmology department was
backlogged about three months. By the time I was re-evaluated, my
vision had deteriorated to 20/63 (right eye) and 20/80 (left eye)
which was sufficient to obtain approval. That was important because
if Medicare had not approved the procedure, they would not have
approved the claim and the hospital would probably have billed me the
full amount for the initial evaluation. I suspect this is the real
reason your ophthalmologist suggested that wait.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: cataract surgery update

<l6au0jdncgrnv73ngr06ts5lrofttn8hbt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103009&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103009

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 18:33:43 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 22:33 UTC

On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 14:42:18 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 14:21:36 -0400, Catrike Ryder
><Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 11:02:53 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
>>wrote:

>>>"Posterior Capsular Opacification"
>>><https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24737-posterior-capsular-opacification>
>>>"Secondary cataracts are the most common complication of cataract
>>>surgery. They affect up to 50% of people who have cataract surgery
>>>within five years of the surgery."
>>>
>>>"What to Know About a Posterior Capsulotomy (YAG Laser)"
>>><https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/cataracts/what-to-know-about-posterior-capsulotomy-yag-laser>
>>>"About 20% to 50% of patients will deal with it within 2-5 years of
>>>the cataract surgery."
>>>"It’s a surgery that can be done in the ophthalmologist’s office and
>>>can take as little as five minutes".
>>>
>>>It's too soon for me to need the procedure. Best of luck with
>>>whatever you decide to do.
>>
>>I'll definately do it as soon as the doctor thinks I need it.
>
>The real question is whether your corrected vision is sufficiently
>impaired to qualify for Medicare and insurance funding. The
>guidelines might be useful:
>
>"Capsule Opacification Following Cataract Surgery: Discussion and YAG
>Laser Capsulotomy"
><https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/view/lcd.aspx?lcdid=33946&ver=15&=>
>See the part starting with:
>"Capsulotomy is covered when each of the following criteria are met
>and clearly documented".
>
>20/50 or worse is considered sufficient to qualify, but 20/40
>(corrected) is considered marginal. That was an issue for my initial
>cataract surgeries. Fortunately, the ophthalmology department was
>backlogged about three months. By the time I was re-evaluated, my
>vision had deteriorated to 20/63 (right eye) and 20/80 (left eye)
>which was sufficient to obtain approval. That was important because
>if Medicare had not approved the procedure, they would not have
>approved the claim and the hospital would probably have billed me the
>full amount for the initial evaluation. I suspect this is the real
>reason your ophthalmologist suggested that wait.

I think you're right. She just said it's not bad enough yet, and I'm
Ok with the left eye at 20-20