From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: bad start this season
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 20:03:38 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 01:03 UTC

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-13272703/Tour-France-crash-hospital-race-cancelled.html

grimaced watching the crash video
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: bad start this season

<uunmgd$13usc$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103018&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103018

From: frkrygow@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: bad start this season
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 22:09:17 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 02:09 UTC

On 4/4/2024 9:03 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-13272703/Tour-France-crash-hospital-race-cancelled.html
>
> grimaced watching the crash video

Any details on what caused the crash? In the video it looked like a
fairly normal curve in the road, not at the extreme edge of cornering.

There was a flash of bright light in the video at the time and place he
seemed to lose control, but I couldn't make any sense of it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: bad start this season

<uuoq71$1c819$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103020&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103020

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 07:18:41 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 12:18 UTC

On 4/4/2024 9:09 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 4/4/2024 9:03 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-13272703/Tour-France-crash-hospital-race-cancelled.html
>>
>> grimaced watching the crash video
>
> Any details on what caused the crash? In the video it looked
> like a fairly normal curve in the road, not at the extreme
> edge of cornering.
>
> There was a flash of bright light in the video at the time
> and place he seemed to lose control, but I couldn't make any
> sense of it.

+1
No obvious explanation and I watched it several times.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: bad start this season

<uup201$1cs6i$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103022&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103022

From: funkmaster@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 10:31:29 -0400
 by: Zen Cycle - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 14:31 UTC

On 4/5/2024 8:18 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 4/4/2024 9:09 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 4/4/2024 9:03 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-13272703/Tour-France-crash-hospital-race-cancelled.html
>>>
>>> grimaced watching the crash video
>>
>> Any details on what caused the crash? In the video it looked like a
>> fairly normal curve in the road, not at the extreme edge of cornering.
>>
>> There was a flash of bright light in the video at the time and place
>> he seemed to lose control, but I couldn't make any sense of it.
>>

> +1
> No obvious explanation and I watched it several times.

I've been streaming the Tour of the Basque Country and saw the incident
live, include numerous angles played and replayed by the race coverage team.

There's no obvious cause, the only thing that is clear is that the front
wheel of a Lidl-Trek rider washed out (may have been Natnatel
Tesfazion), causing the riders behind to take evasive action, which
unfortunately lead to several riders going off course at high speed,
including the race leader and his top three rivals.

Speculation from various commentators and riders was that there might
have been a slick spot on the road.

- Race leader Primož Roglič (Bora Hansgrohe) had crashed on the previous
stage and was unable remount, but no serious injuries
- Remco Evenepoel (Soudal-quickstep) broke a collarbone and scapula.
- Jonas Vingegaard (Visma Lease-a-bike) broke a collar bone and several ribs
- Jay Vine (Jayco Alula) fractured 3 vertebrae

The worst off was Stef Cras (Total Energies), with a right pneumothorax,
several associated rib fractures and two dorsal vertebral fractures, in
addition to expected severe roadrash from such a crash.

In all, 12 riders were unable to finish the stage because of the crash.

Roglic and Vingegaard have won the Tour de France, and Vingegaard won
the Basque tour last year. REmco Evenepoel was the 2022 Raod World
Champion and the current Belgian national champion.

To add to the woes of Visma Lease-a-bike was a major crash in the Dwars
door Vlaanderen last week that saw the race leaders in the breakaway
crash, one of whom was Wout Van Aert - Picked as a favorite for not only
that race, but also for the rest of the upcoming spring classics
including the Paris-Roubaix this weekend. Wout is also a two-time
cyclocross world champion and won the green jersey in the 2022 tour de
france

--
Add xx to reply