Scientists will study your brain to learn more about your distant cousin, Man.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes

SubjectAuthor
* Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikesZen Cycle
`* Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikesRoger Merriman
 `* Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikesCatrike Ryder
  +* Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikesAMuzi
  |`- Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikesJohn B.
  `* Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikesRoger Merriman
   +* Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikesCatrike Ryder
   |`- Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikesRoger Merriman
   `- Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikesAMuzi

1
Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes

<uvjoq0$akh9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103195&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103195

From: funkmaster@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:40:16 -0400
 by: Zen Cycle - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 17:40 UTC

"Especially our really youngest members on tiny little bikes - they
really struggle when the track's been damaged like that."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-68798754

THERE OUGHTTA BE LAW!!!!

--
Add xx to reply

Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes

<1AfTN.617766$Pq2.138785@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103196&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103196

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:52:29 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:52 UTC

Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Especially our really youngest members on tiny little bikes - they
> really struggle when the track's been damaged like that."
>
> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-68798754
>
> THERE OUGHTTA BE LAW!!!!

If it’s off road sadly the law isn’t that strong ie that some of these are
almost certainly unregulated electric motorbikes unless they ride on the
road or similar the law isn’t particularly strong. Even the damage is
likely to be hard to enforce.

Roger Merriman

Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes

<smdr1jpmsj8ol9b9p5fvrb6pb8nt4tf9iq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103198&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103198

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:27:11 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 23:27 UTC

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:52:29 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "Especially our really youngest members on tiny little bikes - they
>> really struggle when the track's been damaged like that."
>>
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-68798754
>>
>> THERE OUGHTTA BE LAW!!!!
>>
>If it’s off road sadly the law isn’t that strong ie that some of these are
>almost certainly unregulated electric motorbikes unless they ride on the
>road or similar the law isn’t particularly strong. Even the damage is
>likely to be hard to enforce.
>
>Roger Merriman

I had a moron pass me on a a big fat tire e-bike today. I was doing
about 15 MPH and he must have been doing 30. Was I wrong to wish that
he would lose control and go into the ditch?

Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes

<uvkepa$i53a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103199&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103199

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:55:23 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 23:55 UTC

On 4/15/2024 6:27 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:52:29 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> "Especially our really youngest members on tiny little bikes - they
>>> really struggle when the track's been damaged like that."
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-68798754
>>>
>>> THERE OUGHTTA BE LAW!!!!
>>>
>> If it’s off road sadly the law isn’t that strong ie that some of these are
>> almost certainly unregulated electric motorbikes unless they ride on the
>> road or similar the law isn’t particularly strong. Even the damage is
>> likely to be hard to enforce.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> I had a moron pass me on a a big fat tire e-bike today. I was doing
> about 15 MPH and he must have been doing 30. Was I wrong to wish that
> he would lose control and go into the ditch?

There's probably a place for psychokinesis, which is a skill
I do not have. sigh.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes

<r5kr1j92egvvaq21cuekrhv52n9h82jlpv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103200&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103200

From: slocombjb@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:18:47 +0700
 by: John B. - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 01:18 UTC

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:55:23 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 4/15/2024 6:27 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:52:29 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> If it’s off road sadly the law isn’t that strong ie that some of these are
>>> almost certainly unregulated electric motorbikes unless they ride on the
>>> road or similar the law isn’t particularly strong. Even the damage is
>>> likely to be hard to enforce.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> I had a moron pass me on a a big fat tire e-bike today. I was doing
>> about 15 MPH and he must have been doing 30. Was I wrong to wish that
>> he would lose control and go into the ditch?
>
>There's probably a place for psychokinesis, which is a skill
>I do not have. sigh.

Rearview the Singapore laws regarding electric bikes. It is possible
to control them albeit through rigorous law enforcement which might
not be acceptable in the U.S.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes

<hrqTN.623631$Tp2.69261@fx03.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103201&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103201

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:14:05 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:14 UTC

Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:52:29 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> "Especially our really youngest members on tiny little bikes - they
>>> really struggle when the track's been damaged like that."
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-68798754
>>>
>>> THERE OUGHTTA BE LAW!!!!
>>>
>> If it’s off road sadly the law isn’t that strong ie that some of these are
>> almost certainly unregulated electric motorbikes unless they ride on the
>> road or similar the law isn’t particularly strong. Even the damage is
>> likely to be hard to enforce.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> I had a moron pass me on a a big fat tire e-bike today. I was doing
> about 15 MPH and he must have been doing 30. Was I wrong to wish that
> he would lose control and go into the ditch?

I’ve only seen those around town almost always very cheap used as delivery
riders and similar.

As ever they tend to announce themselves to the police and have their bikes
seized now and then.

On road it’s an illegal motorcycle without insurance/tax and so on. I have
seen them on leisure trails though I suspect they were like myself using
the trail for the commute, though generally only see them once or twice as
such places are useful pleasant routes but tend to not allow fast passage
as lots of dog walkers and so on. Which is their original point so fair
enough.

Roger Merriman

Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes

<5vcs1jpb8klg9n1ookn4ea3q3iubj9vrik@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103202&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103202

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 04:24:19 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:24 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:14:05 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:52:29 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> If it?s off road sadly the law isn?t that strong ie that some of these are
>>> almost certainly unregulated electric motorbikes unless they ride on the
>>> road or similar the law isn?t particularly strong. Even the damage is
>>> likely to be hard to enforce.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> I had a moron pass me on a a big fat tire e-bike today. I was doing
>> about 15 MPH and he must have been doing 30. Was I wrong to wish that
>> he would lose control and go into the ditch?
>>

>I’ve only seen those around town almost always very cheap used as delivery
>riders and similar.
>
>As ever they tend to announce themselves to the police and have their bikes
>seized now and then.
>
>On road it’s an illegal motorcycle without insurance/tax and so on. I have
>seen them on leisure trails though I suspect they were like myself using
>the trail for the commute, though generally only see them once or twice as
>such places are useful pleasant routes but tend to not allow fast passage
>as lots of dog walkers and so on. Which is their original point so fair
>enough.
>
>Roger Merriman

The Ebike that went whizzing past me on the bike trail had a very big
frame and what looked like motorcycle tires. It was early afternoon
and and I doubt he was on any kind of commute. Florida law says
e-bikes must be limited to 28 MPH.

Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes

<53rTN.504361$gq2.329194@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103203&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103203

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:56:33 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:56 UTC

Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:14:05 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>>> I had a moron pass me on a a big fat tire e-bike today. I was doing
>>> about 15 MPH and he must have been doing 30. Was I wrong to wish that
>>> he would lose control and go into the ditch?
>>>

>> I’ve only seen those around town almost always very cheap used as delivery
>> riders and similar.
>>
>> As ever they tend to announce themselves to the police and have their bikes
>> seized now and then.
>>
>> On road it’s an illegal motorcycle without insurance/tax and so on. I have
>> seen them on leisure trails though I suspect they were like myself using
>> the trail for the commute, though generally only see them once or twice as
>> such places are useful pleasant routes but tend to not allow fast passage
>> as lots of dog walkers and so on. Which is their original point so fair
>> enough.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> The Ebike that went whizzing past me on the bike trail had a very big
> frame and what looked like motorcycle tires. It was early afternoon
> and and I doubt he was on any kind of commute. Florida law says
> e-bikes must be limited to 28 MPH.

Fat bike tires ie 26x4.8 are fairly huge even my MTB tires with 2.4’s are
fairly large compared to MTB I used last century.

Equally are some cheap or not so cheap electric motorbikes around which
probably make sense ie high torque (and quieter) the range or more to the
point slow charging isn’t a problem for that useage.

Roger Merriman

Re: Tiny Bikers and those damn e-bikes

<uvlt5s$v3gi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103206&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103206

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:07:08 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:07 UTC

On 4/16/2024 3:14 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:52:29 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> If it’s off road sadly the law isn’t that strong ie that some of these are
>>> almost certainly unregulated electric motorbikes unless they ride on the
>>> road or similar the law isn’t particularly strong. Even the damage is
>>> likely to be hard to enforce.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> I had a moron pass me on a a big fat tire e-bike today. I was doing
>> about 15 MPH and he must have been doing 30. Was I wrong to wish that
>> he would lose control and go into the ditch?
>>

> I’ve only seen those around town almost always very cheap used as delivery
> riders and similar.
>
> As ever they tend to announce themselves to the police and have their bikes
> seized now and then.
>
> On road it’s an illegal motorcycle without insurance/tax and so on. I have
> seen them on leisure trails though I suspect they were like myself using
> the trail for the commute, though generally only see them once or twice as
> such places are useful pleasant routes but tend to not allow fast passage
> as lots of dog walkers and so on. Which is their original point so fair
> enough.
>
> Roger Merriman

A lot of those in my area, mostly 20x4 tires, many with
folding frame. They are inexpensive at hardware and sporting
goods stores and generally of pathetically low quality.