Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: 105 crnkset
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 01:45:58 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 01:45 UTC

I installed a 105 crankset into my Alpha 1.5 Trek. The bottom bracket was a MegaExo FSA unit. When tightrned up the Shimano crank seemed to toouch the BB housing. Took it out today and got a couple of miles away and indeed it WAS touching the BB which unscrewed and destroyed the BB.

I have a Mega Evo FSA crank which I will replavc it with. So I ordered a MegaEvo bottom bracket. This is the first time I'be ever had such a problem but from now on I will pay closer attention to the possible dragging of the crank against the BB casing. When I initially installed it the crank would roatate 4 or 5 times making a very clight sound now an again. But that was apparently enough to loosen the BB and begin unscrewing it.

I have a Sspecialized Allez on which I installed a 10 speed 6800 Dura Ace. Long arm Dura Ace rear derailleurs are as rare as hen's teeth so I just used a 105 rear derailleur on an 11-36 cassette. Dura Ace 6800 brakes and front derailleur.

The steering on that and the Basso Loto is a bit twitchy but before the failure of the crank on the Trek Alpha 1.5 it handled as weell as the BMC.