186,000 Miles per Second. It's not just a good idea. IT'S THE LAW.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: 10 speeds

SubjectAuthor
* 10 speedsTom Kunich
+- Re: 10 speedsJames
`* Re: 10 speedsAMuzi
 `* Re: 10 speedsFrank Krygowski
  +* Re: 10 speedsAMuzi
  |`* Re: 10 speedsTed Heise
  | +* Re: 10 speedsAMuzi
  | |`- Re: 10 speedsCatrike Ryder
  | `* Re: 10 speedsFrank Krygowski
  |  +* Re: 10 speedsAMuzi
  |  |`* Re: 10 speedsRoger Merriman
  |  | `- Re: 10 speedsTed Heise
  |  `* Re: 10 speedszen cycle
  |   `* Re: 10 speedsTed Heise
  |    `- Re: 10 speedsZen Cycle
  `* Re: 10 speedszen cycle
   `- Re: 10 speedsFrank Krygowski

1
10 speeds

<FoVUN.1802$cEa4.462@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103354&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103354

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: 10 speeds
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 20:16:37 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 20:16 UTC

I have to admit that my Dura Ace 6800 ten speed certainly are better than the 12 speed Campy. Or the 12 speed wireless Di2 or the SRAM.

I changed three bikes over now and I carefully put away another set of levers and forgotten where I put them. As soon as I come across them I will change over my Tomassini.

I don't like the 6900 10 speed levers with their moving the shifting reel from the front to the back. Also 6900 levers are rare and the pull ratio of the reel appears to be different so that a 6800 front and rear derailleur aren't quite compatable with the 6800 parts.

But I like all of my bike groups to match after the hell of the 11 and 12 speed Campy and the rather meaningless electrinic shifting that are so popular now.

Re: 10 speeds

<v01v5t$3n9q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103376&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103376

From: james.e.steward@gmail.com (James)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: 10 speeds
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 12:54:48 +1000
 by: James - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 02:54 UTC

On 21/4/24 06:16, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I have to admit that my Dura Ace 6800 ten speed certainly are better
> than the 12 speed Campy. Or the 12 speed wireless Di2 or the SRAM.
>
> I changed three bikes over now and I carefully put away another set
> of levers and forgotten where I put them. As soon as I come across
> them I will change over my Tomassini.
>
> I don't like the 6900 10 speed levers with their moving the shifting
> reel from the front to the back. Also 6900 levers are rare and the
> pull ratio of the reel appears to be different so that a 6800 front
> and rear derailleur aren't quite compatable with the 6800 parts.
>
> But I like all of my bike groups to match after the hell of the 11
> and 12 speed Campy and the rather meaningless electrinic shifting
> that are so popular now.

According to Strava, I have ridden almost 10,000km on my carbon fibre
reinforced epoxy gravel bike that is equipped with Campagnolo Centaur
11s gears (excepting the Shitmano GRX cranks).

I also have over 110,000km on my road bike equipped with Campagnolo 10s
gears. A mix of Record levers, Chorus cranks and Centaur derailleurs.

I'm very happy with both. Neither cause me any headaches.

My steel touring bike has been ridden over 13,000km, and the cheap
Shitmano 9 speed Sora gear levers sometimes don't work properly in cold
weather. Some sticky grease in the levers, I suspect. That, and the
fact that the Shitmano lever configuration of push the brakes lever
sideways to pull the gear cable confuses me until I've been riding it
for a few hundred kms, makes me like the other two Campagnolo equipped
bikes much more.

--
JS

Re: 10 speeds

<v034d4$aolm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103385&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103385

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 08:30:12 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:30 UTC

On 4/20/2024 3:16 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I have to admit that my Dura Ace 6800 ten speed certainly are better than the 12 speed Campy. Or the 12 speed wireless Di2 or the SRAM.
>
> I changed three bikes over now and I carefully put away another set of levers and forgotten where I put them. As soon as I come across them I will change over my Tomassini.
>
> I don't like the 6900 10 speed levers with their moving the shifting reel from the front to the back. Also 6900 levers are rare and the pull ratio of the reel appears to be different so that a 6800 front and rear derailleur aren't quite compatable with the 6800 parts.
>
> But I like all of my bike groups to match after the hell of the 11 and 12 speed Campy and the rather meaningless electrinic shifting that are so popular now.

Indeed, sometimes less is more.
Which brings one to fixed gear...
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: 10 speeds

<v03aeb$bnbi$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103392&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103392

From: frkrygow@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:13:16 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:13 UTC

On 4/21/2024 9:30 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 4/20/2024 3:16 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> I have to admit that my Dura Ace 6800 ten speed certainly are better
>> than the 12 speed Campy. Or the 12 speed wireless Di2 or the SRAM.
>>
>> I changed three bikes over now and I carefully put away another set of
>> levers and forgotten where I put them. As soon as I come across them I
>> will change over my Tomassini.
>>
>> I don't like the 6900 10 speed levers with their moving the shifting
>> reel from the front to the back. Also 6900 levers are rare and the
>> pull ratio of the reel appears to be different so that a 6800 front
>> and rear derailleur aren't quite compatable with the 6800 parts.
>>
>> But I like all of my bike groups to match after the hell of the 11 and
>> 12 speed Campy and the rather meaningless electrinic shifting that are
>> so popular now.
>
> Indeed, sometimes less is more.
> Which brings one to fixed gear...

I've still never had the opportunity to ride a fixie.

But I'm curious about your capabilities on that thing. How far can you
ride? What sort of terrain?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: 10 speeds

<v03eh6$ctu7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103397&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103397

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:23:03 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:23 UTC

On 4/21/2024 10:13 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 9:30 AM, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 4/20/2024 3:16 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> I have to admit that my Dura Ace 6800 ten speed certainly
>>> are better than the 12 speed Campy. Or the 12 speed
>>> wireless Di2 or the SRAM.
>>>
>>> I changed three bikes over now and I carefully put away
>>> another set of levers and forgotten where I put them. As
>>> soon as I come across them I will change over my Tomassini.
>>>
>>> I don't like the 6900 10 speed levers with their moving
>>> the shifting reel from the front to the back. Also 6900
>>> levers are rare and the pull ratio of the reel appears to
>>> be different so that a 6800 front and rear derailleur
>>> aren't quite compatable with the 6800 parts.
>>>
>>> But I like all of my bike groups to match after the hell
>>> of the 11 and 12 speed Campy and the rather meaningless
>>> electrinic shifting that are so popular now.
>>
>> Indeed, sometimes less is more.
>> Which brings one to fixed gear...
>
> I've still never had the opportunity to ride a fixie.
>
> But I'm curious about your capabilities on that thing. How
> far can you ride? What sort of terrain?

Normally 2~10 miles, moderate terrain, paved roads. Which
for me is the most frequent use of a bicycle.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: 10 speeds

<slrnv2aigf.6fp.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103400&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103400

From: theise@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:17:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:17 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:23:03 -0500,
AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 10:13 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

> >> Indeed, sometimes less is more.

+1

> >> Which brings one to fixed gear...
> >
> > I've still never had the opportunity to ride a fixie.

Well that seems like a missed opportunity.

> > But I'm curious about your capabilities on that thing. How far
> > can you ride? What sort of terrain?
>
> Normally 2~10 miles, moderate terrain, paved roads. Which for
> me is the most frequent use of a bicycle.

For me, typically 10-20 miles--when the ride gets over an hour, I
start to get less comfortable, in large part because it's harder
to get weight off the saddle (standing and coasting is not an
option).

I also ride on moderate terrain. I commuted to and from work for
a time in Bloomington, IN, so there were some hills. That said, I
would not ride the fixed gear out of town where the hill got
bigger (and steeper). Standing was still required at times to
keep going. Downhills for me are a harder thing on the fixed
gear, and a bit part of why I always had a front brake. Here in
West Lafayette, there are fewer hills and they are generally not
as steep. Moreover, there are greater expanses of countryside
with minimal hills. Still, I'm not riding the fixie much these
days, mostly because when I'm available to ride my wife usually
expects to get out with me on the tandem. I don't think she would
go for a fixed gear tandem, though I'm not sure I've ever asked.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: 10 speeds

<v03lac$ebbi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103402&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103402

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:18:52 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:18 UTC

On 4/21/2024 12:17 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:23:03 -0500,
> AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

> +1

>>> I've still never had the opportunity to ride a fixie.
>
> Well that seems like a missed opportunity.
>

>>> But I'm curious about your capabilities on that thing. How far
>>> can you ride? What sort of terrain?
>>
>> Normally 2~10 miles, moderate terrain, paved roads. Which for
>> me is the most frequent use of a bicycle.
>
> For me, typically 10-20 miles--when the ride gets over an hour, I
> start to get less comfortable, in large part because it's harder
> to get weight off the saddle (standing and coasting is not an
> option).
>
> I also ride on moderate terrain. I commuted to and from work for
> a time in Bloomington, IN, so there were some hills. That said, I
> would not ride the fixed gear out of town where the hill got
> bigger (and steeper). Standing was still required at times to
> keep going. Downhills for me are a harder thing on the fixed
> gear, and a bit part of why I always had a front brake. Here in
> West Lafayette, there are fewer hills and they are generally not
> as steep. Moreover, there are greater expanses of countryside
> with minimal hills. Still, I'm not riding the fixie much these
> days, mostly because when I'm available to ride my wife usually
> expects to get out with me on the tandem. I don't think she would
> go for a fixed gear tandem, though I'm not sure I've ever asked.

Yes that's a very good point. A moderate slope/length climb,
which isn't all that different fixed, is much more difficult
descending.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: 10 speeds

<l9ma2j9g853rqj9t7cb1ujj5gbf8sbmdm5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103403&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103403

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 14:33:28 -0400
 by: Catrike Ryder - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:33 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:18:52 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 4/21/2024 12:17 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:23:03 -0500,
>> AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>> +1

>> Well that seems like a missed opportunity.

>>> Normally 2~10 miles, moderate terrain, paved roads. Which for
>>> me is the most frequent use of a bicycle.
>>
>> For me, typically 10-20 miles--when the ride gets over an hour, I
>> start to get less comfortable, in large part because it's harder
>> to get weight off the saddle (standing and coasting is not an
>> option).
>>
>> I also ride on moderate terrain. I commuted to and from work for
>> a time in Bloomington, IN, so there were some hills. That said, I
>> would not ride the fixed gear out of town where the hill got
>> bigger (and steeper). Standing was still required at times to
>> keep going. Downhills for me are a harder thing on the fixed
>> gear, and a bit part of why I always had a front brake. Here in
>> West Lafayette, there are fewer hills and they are generally not
>> as steep. Moreover, there are greater expanses of countryside
>> with minimal hills. Still, I'm not riding the fixie much these
>> days, mostly because when I'm available to ride my wife usually
>> expects to get out with me on the tandem. I don't think she would
>> go for a fixed gear tandem, though I'm not sure I've ever asked.
>>

>Yes that's a very good point. A moderate slope/length climb,
>which isn't all that different fixed, is much more difficult
>descending.

I coud never ride a fixie. Steady continuous pedaling is not what I
do.

Re: 10 speeds

<v03mit$ei4j$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103405&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103405

From: frkrygow@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 14:40:30 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:40 UTC

On 4/21/2024 1:17 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:23:03 -0500,
> AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

> +1

>>> I've still never had the opportunity to ride a fixie.
>
> Well that seems like a missed opportunity.

Indeed! I'd certainly try one if I knew of one that's available.

Actually, it occurs to me that I did ride a couple of "fixies." But they
had no chains. Two different friends owned antique Ordinaries and let me
test them in a pretty limited way. Those rides were short (under a mile)
and on very level ground. But it was a really nice experience.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: 10 speeds

<v03olh$etds$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103408&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103408

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 14:16:01 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 19:16 UTC

On 4/21/2024 1:40 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 1:17 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:23:03 -0500,
>>    AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>> +1

>> Well that seems like a missed opportunity.
>
> Indeed! I'd certainly try one if I knew of one that's
> available.
>
> Actually, it occurs to me that I did ride a couple of
> "fixies." But they had no chains. Two different friends
> owned antique Ordinaries and let me test them in a pretty
> limited way. Those rides were short (under a mile) and on
> very level ground. But it was a really nice experience.

Ordinaries are strikingly easy to ride, especially for a novice.

They share with fixed difficulty on descents and add in
serious risks in braking, as one cannot shift rider weight
enough to make any difference. I never dumped one but I've
seen it, at slow speed, and even that is really ugly.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: 10 speeds

<9JeVN.250166$2N2.150290@fx09.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103417&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103417

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:32:05 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:32 UTC

AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 1:40 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 4/21/2024 1:17 PM, Ted Heise wrote:

>>> +1

>>> Well that seems like a missed opportunity.
>>
>> Indeed! I'd certainly try one if I knew of one that's
>> available.
>>
>> Actually, it occurs to me that I did ride a couple of
>> "fixies." But they had no chains. Two different friends
>> owned antique Ordinaries and let me test them in a pretty
>> limited way. Those rides were short (under a mile) and on
>> very level ground. But it was a really nice experience.
>>

> Ordinaries are strikingly easy to ride, especially for a novice.
>
> They share with fixed difficulty on descents and add in
> serious risks in braking, as one cannot shift rider weight
> enough to make any difference. I never dumped one but I've
> seen it, at slow speed, and even that is really ugly.

That’s why I flipped my hub on my bikes that where fixed as while I could
ride fixed fine I preferred being able to coast and move my weight being a
MTBer at heart on the downs and what not.

One of the parks disabled bikes has a fixed trike which is great fun, I
think I enjoyed that more than the folks riding the bikes!

Roger Merriman

Re: 10 speeds

<v04259$b1hl$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103423&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103423

From: funkmasterxx@hotmail.com (zen cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:58:00 -0400
 by: zen cycle - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:58 UTC

On 4/21/2024 11:13 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 9:30 AM, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 4/20/2024 3:16 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> I have to admit that my Dura Ace 6800 ten speed certainly are better
>>> than the 12 speed Campy. Or the 12 speed wireless Di2 or the SRAM.
>>>
>>> I changed three bikes over now and I carefully put away another set
>>> of levers and forgotten where I put them. As soon as I come across
>>> them I will change over my Tomassini.
>>>
>>> I don't like the 6900 10 speed levers with their moving the shifting
>>> reel from the front to the back. Also 6900 levers are rare and the
>>> pull ratio of the reel appears to be different so that a 6800 front
>>> and rear derailleur aren't quite compatable with the 6800 parts.
>>>
>>> But I like all of my bike groups to match after the hell of the 11
>>> and 12 speed Campy and the rather meaningless electrinic shifting
>>> that are so popular now.
>>
>> Indeed, sometimes less is more.
>> Which brings one to fixed gear...
>
> I've still never had the opportunity to ride a fixie.
>
> But I'm curious about your capabilities on that thing. How far can you
> ride? What sort of terrain?

When I get serious about it...

https://www.strava.com/activities/4986803455

https://www.strava.com/activities/5020408090

Re: 10 speeds

<v0428h$b1hl$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103424&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103424

From: funkmasterxx@hotmail.com (zen cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:59:44 -0400
 by: zen cycle - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:59 UTC

On 4/21/2024 2:40 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 1:17 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:23:03 -0500,
>>    AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>> +1

>> Well that seems like a missed opportunity.
>
> Indeed! I'd certainly try one if I knew of one that's available.
>
> Actually, it occurs to me that I did ride a couple of "fixies." But they
> had no chains. Two different friends owned antique Ordinaries and let me
> test them in a pretty limited way. Those rides were short (under a mile)
> and on very level ground. But it was a really nice experience.

My fixed gear is a Kellog/Ross, basic road frame. All you need is a
freewheel hub and a BMX chain.

Re: 10 speeds

<slrnv2beti.d4b.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103429&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103429

From: theise@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 01:21:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 01:21 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:59:44 -0400,
zen cycle <funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 2:40 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> > On 4/21/2024 1:17 PM, Ted Heise wrote:

> >> +1

> >> Well that seems like a missed opportunity.
> >
> > Indeed! I'd certainly try one if I knew of one that's available.
> >
> > Actually, it occurs to me that I did ride a couple of "fixies." But they
> > had no chains. Two different friends owned antique Ordinaries and let me
> > test them in a pretty limited way. Those rides were short (under a mile)
> > and on very level ground. But it was a really nice experience.
>
> My fixed gear is a Kellog/Ross, basic road frame. All you need
> is a freewheel hub and a BMX chain.

It helps if the bike has horizontal rear dropouts. Makes chain
tensioning more practical.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: 10 speeds

<slrnv2bf6p.d4b.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103430&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103430

From: theise@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 01:26:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 01:26 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:32:05 GMT,
Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com> wrote:
> AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

> >> Indeed! I'd certainly try one if I knew of one that's
> >> available.
> >>
> >> Actually, it occurs to me that I did ride a couple of
> >> "fixies." But they had no chains. Two different friends owned
> >> antique Ordinaries and let me test them in a pretty limited
> >> way. Those rides were short (under a mile) and on very level
> >> ground. But it was a really nice experience.

Interesting! Now that's something I'd like to try one day.

Regarding the chain driven fixed gear, it's not hard to convert an
old road bike. That was my first fixed gear (my old Schwinn Le
Tour) and it worked just fine.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

> > Ordinaries are strikingly easy to ride, especially for a
> > novice.
> >
> > They share with fixed difficulty on descents and add in
> > serious risks in braking, as one cannot shift rider weight
> > enough to make any difference. I never dumped one but I've
> > seen it, at slow speed, and even that is really ugly.
>
> That’s why I flipped my hub on my bikes that where fixed as
> while I could ride fixed fine I preferred being able to coast
> and move my weight being a MTBer at heart on the downs and what
> not.

At one point I bought a low cost fixed gear bike from my LBS in
Bloomington (Indiana). It was a trackish type of setup (I swapped
in an old set of road bars) but also had one of those flip flop
hubs. I've kept a cog on the single speed side in case I ever
need to limp home, but have never actually used it.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: 10 speeds

<v04g7l$jlcd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103431&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103431

From: frkrygow@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:58:13 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 01:58 UTC

On 4/21/2024 5:58 PM, zen cycle wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 11:13 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

>>> Indeed, sometimes less is more.
>>> Which brings one to fixed gear...
>>
>> I've still never had the opportunity to ride a fixie.
>>
>> But I'm curious about your capabilities on that thing. How far can you
>> ride? What sort of terrain?
>>
> When I get serious about it...
>
> https://www.strava.com/activities/4986803455
>
> https://www.strava.com/activities/5020408090

Impressive.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: 10 speeds

<v063g5$11r52$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=103451&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103451

From: funkmaster@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:33:09 -0400
 by: Zen Cycle - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:33 UTC

On 4/21/2024 9:21 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:59:44 -0400,
> zen cycle <funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Indeed! I'd certainly try one if I knew of one that's available.
>>>
>>> Actually, it occurs to me that I did ride a couple of "fixies." But they
>>> had no chains. Two different friends owned antique Ordinaries and let me
>>> test them in a pretty limited way. Those rides were short (under a mile)
>>> and on very level ground. But it was a really nice experience.
>>
>> My fixed gear is a Kellog/Ross, basic road frame. All you need
>> is a freewheel hub and a BMX chain.
>
> It helps if the bike has horizontal rear dropouts. Makes chain
> tensioning more practical.
>
> https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

That Ross is Ishiwata 022 tubing, traditional road design/geometry
(horizontal dropouts)

--
Add xx to reply