From: igor.urisman@gmail.com (Igor Urisman)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.high-end
Subject: A new turntable for an old SME V tonearm.
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:40:56 -0800 (PST)
 by: Igor Urisman - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 21:40 UTC

The motor on my 90's TNT Mk1 just died. VPI stopped making this old motor decades ago and they want me to upgrade at the cost of a decent new turntable. Which is what I'd rather do, than ending up with too much of a turntable.. Over the years I've become less ambitions and would prefer something closer to the LP12 than the current TNT. But I want to keep the (terrific) SME V tonearm. Would anyone be able to recommend a compatible reasonably priced turntable that works well with SME V?

Thanks in advance,
—Igor.

Re: A new turntable for an old SME V tonearm.

<ebe9a744-da15-4f5a-9b59-cbf39820b2d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=105&group=rec.audio.high-end#105

From: peterwieck33@gmail.com (Peter Wieck)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.high-end
Subject: Re: A new turntable for an old SME V tonearm.
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 11:49:54 -0800 (PST)
 by: Peter Wieck - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 19:49 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 4:50:13 PM UTC-5, Igor Urisman wrote:
> The motor on my 90's TNT Mk1 just died. VPI stopped making this old motor decades ago and they want me to upgrade at the cost of a decent new turntable. Which is what I'd rather do, than ending up with too much of a turntable. Over the years I've become less ambitions and would prefer something closer to the LP12 than the current TNT. But I want to keep the (terrific) SME V tonearm. Would anyone be able to recommend a compatible reasonably priced turntable that works well with SME V?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> —Igor.

I am finding stuff in the $2,000 - $4,000 range. Is that within your budget?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: A new turntable for an old SME V tonearm.

<ks214tFbamjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=106&group=rec.audio.high-end#106

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.high-end
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:24:47 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 21:24 UTC

On 16/11/2023 8:40 am, Igor Urisman wrote:
> The motor on my 90's TNT Mk1 just died. VPI stopped making this old motor decades ago and they want me to upgrade at the cost of a decent new turntable. Which is what I'd rather do, than ending up with too much of a turntable. Over the years I've become less ambitions and would prefer something closer to the LP12 than the current TNT. But I want to keep the (terrific) SME V tonearm. Would anyone be able to recommend a compatible reasonably priced turntable that works well with SME V?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> —Igor.

**You can't go wrong with a Denon quartz locked direct drive. One of the
best motors in the business. Rock solid speed, very low W&F and rumble.
A DP-55M can be sourced at a reasonable price. Higher end Denons exhibit
superior specs. Two things:

* The SME V is a wonderful arm.
* DO NOT be tempted to buy a non-quartz locked direct drive of any
manufacture (including Denon).
* A suitable mounting may be required for the Denons, as they lack
decent suspension.

Well, that's 3.

FWIW: My daily turntable is a Denon DP-59L. Fabulous turntable, with a
decent, but not brilliant, arm.

--
Trevor Wilson