From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: There is no material length contraction
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 08:03:46 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 22:03 UTC

On 03-Aug-23 7:53 pm, Maciej Wozniak wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 August 2023 at 11:06:42 UTC+2, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> Isn't Your relativity about predicting the results of measurements?

>>> It doesn't prevent him from measuring the intervals
>>> between the ticks of a clock on Earth, does it? Why
>>> can't he measure a day?
>> Measuring the interval between the ticks of a clock presents exactly the
>> same issues.
>
> And, well, Your relativity doesn't care about them at
> all and is brilliantly predicting the results. Isn't it?

It predicts the result of observing the ticks through a telescope, and
measuring the interval between them. The relativistic Doppler effect
formula gives the answer.

Sylvia.

Re: There is no material length contraction

<1eebe174-b4a8-4d71-8f4e-84023ff910f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=121670&group=sci.physics.relativity#121670

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 20:23:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: maluwozniak@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 03:23 UTC

On Friday, 4 August 2023 at 00:03:50 UTC+2, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 03-Aug-23 7:53 pm, Maciej Wozniak wrote:

> >> Measuring the interval between the ticks of a clock presents exactly the
> >> same issues.
> >
> > And, well, Your relativity doesn't care about them at
> > all and is brilliantly predicting the results. Isn't it?
> It predicts the result of observing

And the answer of Your insane guru for my question
would be...?

Re: There is no material length contraction

<3WfklATjbbf4CjjVukCMPAxz6cM@jntp>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=121692&group=sci.physics.relativity#121692

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: k9pgTSmSj-CYYX91-lTfTJbrq1w
JNTP-ThreadID: 44903087-193c-4446-90c3-f7a5acecf264n@googlegroups.com
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=3WfklATjbbf4CjjVukCMPAxz6cM@jntp
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 23 13:22:10 +0000
From: r.hachel@frite.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 13:22 UTC

Le 04/08/2023 à 00:03, Sylvia Else a écrit :

> It predicts the result of observing the ticks through a telescope, and
> measuring the interval between them. The relativistic Doppler effect
> formula gives the answer.

> Sylvia.

In current kinematics, there is a longitudinal Doppler effect (for example
the Doppler effect relating to sounds).
But in relativity, it is difficult to speak of a single Doppler effect,
because there are two.
There were also two in classical mechanics, but the second effect is so
weak for low speeds (gamma factor) that it is rightly ignored.
I think (not out of arrogance, but out of love of what is true) that it
would be better on this point to adopt my terminology.
I call longitudinal relativistic effect the effect of the first degree due
to spatial anisochrony (or speed of light).
I call INTERNAL relativistic effect the effect of the second degree linked
to the relativistic factor gamma.
I refute the idea of transverse Doppler effect which leads to confusion.
When I see a rocket arriving at me, its displacement is purely
longitudinal (cosµ=-1).
It therefore has a longitudinal Doppler effect of the first degree.
But it also has a "transverse" Doppler effect as it does not move
transversely in any way. The term therefore seems to me liable to
misinterpretation. I therefore prefer the term INTERNAL Doppler effect.

These two Doppler effects are cumulative.

The object which moves in space will therefore undergo two Doppler effects
and the residual equations will become for the apparent speeds, for the
perceived proper durations, for the perceived lengths, and for the
received wavelengths.
Vapp=Vo/(1+cosµ.Vo/c)
t'=t.(1+cosµ.Vo/c)/sqrt(1-Vo²/c²)
L'=L.sqrt(1-Vo²/c²)/(1+cosµ.Vo/c)
lambda'=lambda.(1+cosµ.Vo/c)/sqrt(1-Vo²/c²)

Notion of relativistic Doppler effects, my love Sylvia.

R.H.

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: There is no material length contraction