Subject: Re: Recent sky survey
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
References: <2fda0ccf-b80d-4dfa-b94f-e9b27eb3ccf7n@googlegroups.com> <d83e8083-f511-4d63-8a18-713a1dc93c2dn@googlegroups.com> <eb3ee860-af69-4130-85d6-6236d958f507n@googlegroups.com> <3fe56ce9-6de9-4e45-8ff6-add8123a5753n@googlegroups.com> <1q7i0pw.w6g85b1xoyhloN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl> <347be575-32ca-490b-9c31-5927e6e763ban@googlegroups.com> <1q7ixf2.1yfkeo08lju56N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl> <WL6dnWzL6ZVupZL5nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com> <41b0c601-53eb-428d-80d3-9a16a7dec4b6n@googlegroups.com>
From: ross.a.finlayson@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 12:09:26 -0800
 by: Ross Finlayson - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 20:09 UTC

On 03/14/2023 08:54 AM, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 7:53:51 AM UTC-7, Tom Roberts wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't kept up. Anything new there? Can they do better than
>>> CERN-Gran Sasso?
>> Fermilab has no neutrino beam that comes anywhere close to Lake Baikal.
>> To imagine a neutrino beam aimed there from Fermilab would require a
>> tunnel very deep with a very large angle bend in the proton beam
>> producing it; both are probably beyond current technology.
>>
>> At present Fermilab has two neutrino beams:
>> A. The Neutrinos at the Main Injector (NuMI) beam is produced
>> by 120 GeV protons from the Main Injector. It is angled
>> down such that it hits the surface of the earth in northern
>> Minnesota. It was used for MINOS and is currently used by
>> Nova -- both have (had) detectors on site at Fermilab and
>> in northern Minnesota.
>> B. The Booster Neutrino Beam is produced by 8 GeV protons
>> from the booster. It is essentially horizontal and is
>> used by several short-baseline experiments, all of which
>> are on site at Fermilab.
>>
>> Fermilab is also designing the Long Baseline Neutrino Facility (LBNF)
>> that will be a neutrino beam produced by 120 GeV protons from the Main
>> Injector. It will be angled down more steeply than the NuMI beam, and
>> will hit a detector 4850 feet underground in South Dakota for the DUNE
>> experiment. DUNE will be the longest-baseline neutrino experiment in the
>> world.
>>
>> Fermilab used to have a neutrino beam several decades ago. It was
>> produced by 200 or 400 GeV protons from the Main Ring, and was
>> horizontal. This was before neutrino oscillations were known, and all
>> detectors were on site at Fermilab.
>>
>> [Well, not quite all were on site. A group that failed
>> to get funding for a detector at Fermilab built a
>> "portable" neutrino detector in a pair of truck
>> trailers which they parked in the General Mills
>> parking lot about a mile north of Fermilab, right
>> in line with the old neutrino beam. AFAIK they
>> never published anything.]
>>
>> Tom Roberts
>
> Quantum entanglement has worked up that "spooky action at a distance":
> is kind of a thing.
>
> Resonance theory for example in molecular chemistry is quite upcoming.
>
> The real wave function these days is deemed quite a thing.
> Copenhagen the convention has an interpertation for it,
> that it's real and probabilistically, while replacing Heisenberg
> uncertainty with measurement/sampling/observer effects.
>
> Whether it's Gran Sasso or Kamiokande or Ice Cube,
> neutrinos are flux and from here seem best fit in a theory
> with fall gravity for supergravity unifying field theory,
> then that in terms of the cubic-kilometer collector in Lake Baikal,
> from an accelerator at Batavia, that quite a bit past the taco-truck
> in the parking lot: there was sent something like "Watson, come in to the room",
> in essentially zero time, or at least straight through the Earth.
>
> Flux is after symmetry flex, it's radiation.

Picked up a copy of Burnham's the other day,
there's some talk about Nu Scorpii.

According to the Yale Catalogue of Bright Stars, ....

"The famous star which is now designated T Scorpii
was for many years the only nova on record
in a globular star cluster."

"Modern studies have shown that the connection
is definitely real, and that this great field
of high-luminosity stars, often called the 'I-Scorpii
Association', marks the course of one of the spiral
arms of our galaxy. This spiral arm, clearly outlined
by an extended stream if giant stars, lies some 5000 to
6000 light years distant, nearer to the Galactic Center
than the arm that contains our Sun."

If there's something to be said for the impressive
utility of spectroscopy and emission lines,
its absorption lines.

(Reading about Gamma Velorum.)