From: AetherRegaind@invalid.com (Aether Regained)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Freeman Dyson: Regarding famous meeting with Enrico Fermi that was a
turning point
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 11:32:00 +0000
 by: Aether Regained - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 11:32 UTC

https://lilith.fisica.ufmg.br/~dsoares/fdyson.htm

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=39750162

The first link contains the full anecdote of Freeman Dyson's meeting
with Enrico Fermi, where Fermi said the memorable words:

"I remember my friend Johnny von Neumann used to say, with four
parameters I can fit an elephant, and with five I can make him wiggle
his trunk."

Also said Fermi in the same meeting:

"There are two ways of doing calculations in theoretical physics:

One way, and this is the way I prefer, is to have A CLEAR PHYSICAL
PICTURE OF THE PROCESS that you are calculating.

The other way is to have a precise and self-consistent mathematical
formalism."

By the way, there is so much similarity between this Spring 1953 meeting
between Freeman Dyson and Enrico Fermi, and that between Wilhelm Weber
and Frederich Gauss about a century earlier in Spring 1845. There too,
Weber met with his mentor Gauss to discuss his new theory of
electrodynamics (now known as Weber's electrodynamics), and Gauss
expressed a similar sentiment as Fermi:

Gauss: "... the actual keystone is lacking: namely, the derivation of
the additional forces (which enter into the reciprocal action of
electrical particles at rest, if they are in relative motion) from the
action which is not instantaneous, but on the contrary (in a way
comparable to light) propagates itself in time. ... However, [to arrive
at this] it would first be necessary to make A CONSTRUCTIBLE
REPRESENTATION of the way in which the propagation occurs."

(for full content, see: Letters between Weber and Gauss in 1845).

Also it is interesting, that in the current theory of electrodynamics,
this fundamental equation describing the force between two charged
particles in relative motion is so difficult to derive, it is only
covered in the most advanced post graduate courses on electrodynamics,
and is given without any derivation in Feynman Lectures Vol. II as Eqn.
21.1.

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_21.html#footnote_source_1

Re: Freeman Dyson: Regarding famous meeting with Enrico Fermi that was a turning point

<utbtse$1g86a$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=131267&group=sci.physics.relativity#131267

Followup: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math
From: raooo@pas.gr (B.J. Zachar Papadopulos)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math
Subject: Re: Freeman Dyson: Regarding famous meeting with Enrico Fermi that
was a turning point
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 11:45:19 -0000 (UTC)
AumeKNNMa1FLrcxzwKrfcmIgttApDA2naadYKbve2HoBDpRvAnkPoTr22XG1TBA
K5UMsq7nC3VSvSI1KOWst2SW+0VU8wjeUwNWmbOYdoVU21NvM0gdQWFMAPlvqjP
rTGyqmB91MoP/QVo1rQXLXVBPJWQvSQ3RdLI4GkbsfNxJzEILszlmBFafi/ISAk
7Y+TncQUj6uRGJxcAyKiHK4rRTQ+CC6Lxtuj0MqdACgEJ0RvjbPmB4EibmAnJdn
4AfjWEPCebOQL+lJo6gOLKBpwDSA3vUgmvoP/APVHA9mlceovAAAAAElFTkSuQm CC
{L**rGxZ%M1*gJ:<|+~|-O&}E0?4X&8T}N\v{}{H;w0knJTP's(}uTIdm+#SOs<m9>Gm6^M
']zJj}V7`\WX4-q2Op`3a*%~~mxptj.gu%j>Q7/0t4|:|ZYJ-%6gv=n\UB1g<SU$Vg/Y&{0
*&`0pQ@(;u
 by: B.J. Zachar Papadopu - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 11:45 UTC

Aether Regained wrote:

> Also it is interesting, that in the current theory of electrodynamics,
> this fundamental equation describing the force between two charged
> particles in relative motion is so difficult to derive, it is only
> covered in the most advanced post graduate courses on electrodynamics,
> and is given without any derivation in Feynman Lectures Vol. II as Eqn.
> 21.1.

more proofs. The fucking polaker warshaw is genuine Russian lol. No
fucking ukrein anywhere on the map. That word, ukrein, doesn't even
exists. It's a stolen country configuration.

𝗧𝗵𝗲_𝗚𝗲𝗿𝗺𝗮𝗻_𝗶𝘀_𝗶𝗻_𝘀𝗵𝗼𝗰𝗸._𝗛𝗲_𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱_𝗮_𝗺𝗮𝗽_𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺_1908_𝗻𝗼_𝗨𝗸𝗿𝗮𝗶𝗻𝗲,_𝗪𝗮𝗿𝘀𝗮𝘄_𝗶𝘀_𝗥𝘂𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗮.
https://b%69%74%63%68%75te.com/video/jrqhFzg3wvJx

the ukraine is a fucking lie. And the capitalist west lost the war in
stealing countries, one more time!! I love Russia so very much. Go,
Russia, go go go!!

I want visit Odessa, and want it to be Russian. I don't trust the nazis of
Azov and Kiev. Go, Russia, go!

𝗔𝘇𝗼𝘃_𝗡𝗮𝘇𝗶𝘀_𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗲_𝘃𝗶𝗱𝗲𝗼_𝗶𝗻𝘃𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴_𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗵_𝗙𝗼𝗿𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗻_𝗟𝗲𝗴𝗶𝗼𝗻_𝘁𝗼_𝗵𝗲𝗹𝗽_𝗮𝗴𝗮𝗶𝗻𝘀𝘁_𝗥𝘂𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗮_𝗶𝗻_𝗨𝗸𝗿𝗮𝗶𝗻𝗲
https://b%69%74%63%68%75te.com/video/k6vuaKzLIQ8V