"The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain." -- G. Fitch

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...

SubjectAuthor
* Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...Skybuck Flying
+- Re: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...Ralph Mowery
`- Re: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...legg

1
Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...

<9d78eb1b-a465-4377-98c1-b0447ac43fb3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134126&group=sci.electronics.design#134126

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:44:12 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...
From: skybuckflying@gmail.com (Skybuck Flying)
 by: Skybuck Flying - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:44 UTC

Hi,

I have this old Nikon CoolPix L4 Digital Camera.

Recently I bought some new AA batteries at a local store.

The battery brand is: Grundig.

On the battery it says (non-rechargable)
975 mAh 1.5V Plus AA/R6

The original batteries (rechargeable) it says:
GP 2500
250A AHC 1.2V typical 2450 mAh

When I tried to power on the coolpix L4 with the new batteries, it comes on briefly, the camera extends, the LCD display comes on, but then the camera wants to shutdown and either says: Batteries drawned... or some other error.

Apperently these batteries don't work well with this Camera and the Camera gets confused ?!

I suspect it could be the volts or the ampere ?! Perhaps the volts causing over-voltage ?!

Or perhaps the digital camera battery detector detects it wrongly ?!?

Is there risk of blowing this camera up with 1.5 volt batteries instead of 1.2 volt batteries ?!

I share this story with you as an example of another nice electronics industry fuck up example !

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Re: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...

<MPG.401f228bed993695989f08@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134129&group=sci.electronics.design#134129

From: rmowery42@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:24:47 -0500
 by: Ralph Mowery - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:24 UTC

In article <9d78eb1b-a465-4377-98c1-b0447ac43fb3n@googlegroups.com>,
skybuckflying@gmail.com says...

> I have this old Nikon CoolPix L4 Digital Camera.
>
> Recently I bought some new AA batteries at a local store.
>
> The battery brand is: Grundig.
>
> On the battery it says (non-rechargable)
> 975 mAh 1.5V Plus AA/R6
>
> The original batteries (rechargeable) it says:
> GP 2500
> 250A AHC 1.2V typical 2450 mAh
>
> When I tried to power on the coolpix L4 with the new batteries, it comes on briefly, the camera extends, the LCD display comes on, but then the camera wants to shutdown and either says: Batteries drawned... or some other error.
>
> Apperently these batteries don't work well with this Camera and the Camera gets confused ?!
>
> I suspect it could be the volts or the ampere ?! Perhaps the volts causing over-voltage ?!
>
> Or perhaps the digital camera battery detector detects it wrongly ?!?
>
> Is there risk of blowing this camera up with 1.5 volt batteries instead of 1.2 volt batteries ?!
>
> I share this story with you as an example of another nice electronics industry fuck up example !
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck.

It could be that the camera needs the rechargable kinds. They can
produce a high current surge to do a short thing like extend the lense
or move the image to memory where the other batteries can not do that.

Re: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...

<fqqcri5bg7v87smvcejj7eahf31l6ca0dj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134160&group=sci.electronics.design#134160

From: legg@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:16:41 -0500
 by: legg - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 15:16 UTC

On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:44:12 -0800 (PST), Skybuck Flying
<skybuckflying@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have this old Nikon CoolPix L4 Digital Camera.
>
>Recently I bought some new AA batteries at a local store.
>
>The battery brand is: Grundig.
>
>On the battery it says (non-rechargable)
>975 mAh 1.5V Plus AA/R6
>
>The original batteries (rechargeable) it says:
>GP 2500
>250A AHC 1.2V typical 2450 mAh
>
>When I tried to power on the coolpix L4 with the new batteries, it comes on briefly, the camera extends, the LCD display comes on, but then the camera wants to shutdown and either says: Batteries drawned... or some other error.
>
>Apperently these batteries don't work well with this Camera and the Camera gets confused ?!
>
>I suspect it could be the volts or the ampere ?! Perhaps the volts causing over-voltage ?!
>
>Or perhaps the digital camera battery detector detects it wrongly ?!?
>
>Is there risk of blowing this camera up with 1.5 volt batteries instead of 1.2 volt batteries ?!
>
>I share this story with you as an example of another nice electronics industry fuck up example !
>
>Bye for now,
> Skybuck.

Doesn't matter what brand of AA non-rechargeable batteries you try,
if the originals were rechargeable NiCd or NiMh. Later versions were
definitely NiMh.

Replacw with same type of battery.

The coolpix was recalled for bad internal battery maintenance at
least once, that I'm aware of. It used 4 x NiMh AA.

Cameras remaineing on the market was extremely fussy about what
you stuck in the battery compartment, but at least they didn't burn.

RL