DEC diagnostics would run on a dead whale. -- Mel Ferentz

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesjohn larkin
+- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesBill Sloman
+* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesCursitor Doom
|+- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesAnthony William Sloman
|`* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesjohn larkin
| `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesCursitor Doom
|  `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesJohn Larkin
|   `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesCursitor Doom
|    `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesAnthony William Sloman
|     `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesCursitor Doom
|      `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesJohn Larkin
|       +* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesCursitor Doom
|       |+- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesJohn Larkin
|       |`- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesAnthony William Sloman
|       `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesJeroen Belleman
|        `- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesJohn Larkin
+- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesjohn larkin
+* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesSylvia Else
|+* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesAnthony William Sloman
||+- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theorieswhit3rd
||`* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesJohn Larkin
|| `- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesAnthony William Sloman
|`* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesCursitor Doom
| +* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesJohn Larkin
| |+- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesAnthony William Sloman
| |`* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesJohn Larkin
| | `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesJohn Larkin
| |  `- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesAnthony William Sloman
| `- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesSylvia Else
`* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theorieswhit3rd
 `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesCursitor Doom
  `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesAnthony William Sloman
   `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesCursitor Doom
    `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesAnthony William Sloman
     `* Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesCursitor Doom
      `- Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theoriesAnthony William Sloman

Pages:12
Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

<upook7$3pn7q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134591&group=sci.electronics.design#134591

From: jeroen@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 20:31:13 +0100
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:31 UTC

On 2/4/24 17:06, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 13:20:46 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:03:00 -0800 (PST), Anthony William Sloman
>> <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> The exact effects of CO2 on climate may not be known with exquisite precision - greenhouse gases aren't the only participants - but we do know that more CO2 in the atmosphere leads to a higher average surface temperature for the planet as a whole.
>>>
>>> Goofs like you who claim that modern atmospheric CO2 levels are all faked, are in fact guilty of criminal libel and really should be charged and convicted.
>>> The fact that you are an obvious goof and nobody takes you seriously is all that saves your bacon.

>>> Except that you are the liar here, and you clearly don't run any show, and while you get exposed as a liar at regular intervals, it doesn't worry you.
>>
>> I see you've been reading Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, Bill.
>> Accuse your opponents of what you're doing yourself. See I've read all
>> that Left-wing garbage and know exactly how you think. You'll never
>> get the better of the Big Dawg - certainly not without upping your
>> game by several orders of magnitude (which would be completely beyond
>> you).
>
> BS is getting weirder and weirder. He used to make sense once in a
> while.

I have this thought that 95% of what we see in this group is AI-
generated garbage just to keep us bickering pointlessly instead
of doing more important things. The highly stereotypical styles
of many "contributions" certainly point in that direction.

It's more or less what television used to be for. Panem et
circenses.

Let's just killfile them and get on with designing some world-
changing electronics.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

<ja80sip1rjuh98bfg9rb5ilbsigbddal8d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134598&group=sci.electronics.design#134598

From: jl@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 15:51:31 -0800
References: <22aorit244dplhfogl6st3sng53iqngmu3@4ax.com> <pnbqrip4nh38k8mdg2e0gc2f1s592i1ri5@4ax.com> <04mqrilrkiv5uej9afjprbk1qeh7mc068m@4ax.com> <638tripj4m5k7rn8ij1i8lj7ptposbmhld@4ax.com> <p09trip1q0hsbk3mhb7v0e9o84g4sb5h9l@4ax.com> <ckqurilsfqh6sj94op1aqcetg8ur8h0ft7@4ax.com> <2aaeb26a-3838-4f0f-8b54-bacb472db78an@googlegroups.com> <gi3vri5m2ni4nbt3j2gqrjguf3ttkdjtsn@4ax.com> <kcdvridk6et16ofm73n87o1vdgq01qekp9@4ax.com> <upook7$3pn7q$1@dont-email.me>
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 23:51 UTC

On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 20:31:13 +0100, Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

>On 2/4/24 17:06, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 13:20:46 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I see you've been reading Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, Bill.
>>> Accuse your opponents of what you're doing yourself. See I've read all
>>> that Left-wing garbage and know exactly how you think. You'll never
>>> get the better of the Big Dawg - certainly not without upping your
>>> game by several orders of magnitude (which would be completely beyond
>>> you).
>>
>> BS is getting weirder and weirder. He used to make sense once in a
>> while.
>

>I have this thought that 95% of what we see in this group is AI-
>generated garbage just to keep us bickering pointlessly instead
>of doing more important things. The highly stereotypical styles
>of many "contributions" certainly point in that direction.
>
>It's more or less what television used to be for. Panem et
>circenses.
>
>Let's just killfile them and get on with designing some world-
>changing electronics.
>
>Jeroen Belleman

I'm trying to decide if we should go into the business of making big,
kilowatt size, 3-phase AC power supplies and load banks. The stuff out
there is kind of a mess, but it would (literally) be a big lift to get
into that biz. We'd have to buy a building and a forklift.

We *are* soon to introduce two new world-changing product lines. I'll
post links here.

Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

<94ca634d-4e10-4ca8-aed1-db754f1149adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134601&group=sci.electronics.design#134601

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:05:16 -0800 (PST)
From: whit3rd@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 01:05 UTC

On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 3:28:01 PM UTC-8, john larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:27:37 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >A responsible government needs to enact legislation with serious criminal penalties for the promulgators of these things. Jack-ass site like zerohedge will be shut down in a minute.
> >
> >"In another act of violence tied to QAnon, a California man was charged with using a speargun to kill his two children in 2021. He told an FBI agent that he had been enlightened by QAnon conspiracy theories and had become convinced that his wife “possessed serpent DNA and had passed it on to his children.”"
> >
> >Then there's this most recent maniac, conspiracy driven:
> >
> >https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pa-man-arrested-decapitating-father-youtube-video-rcna136509

> Let's repeal that pesky First Amendment. There is, of course, always
> only one true Truth.

Damn, boy you ARE dense. Hate speech gets the credit for that old guy
in your town who got a hammer to his geriatric head, and you think
there shouldn't be any response? Every time I hear an 'abortion is murder' claim,
I cringe, knowing there'll be a bombing or shooting at a clinic.

Worse, there's nonhuman (AI, but also corporate and foreign government) propagandists
meddling with elections, that really ARE an assault on our Constitution.
There's a death toll on the record for the abuse of free speech called 'swatting',
and it's a bigger share of school violence than gunplay, <https://eschoolsafety.org/swatting>

The problem is networked anonymity and impersonation, which requires a
network-level treatment. Freedom of speech isn't the name of the problem under
discussion, rather "incitement to riot".

Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

<10c659a9-3f7b-4ee5-a367-d1bbf3ce62d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134615&group=sci.electronics.design#134615

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:09:21 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 06:09 UTC

On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 4:42:26 AM UTC+11, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 08:06:15 -0800, John Larkin <j...@997PotHill.com wrote:

<snip>

> >>I see you've been reading Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, Bill.

I haven't. Why would I bother? I'm not any kind of radical.

> >>Accuse your opponents of what you're doing yourself. See I've read all
> >>that Left-wing garbage and know exactly how you think. You'll never
> >>get the better of the Big Dawg - certainly not without upping your
> >>game by several orders of magnitude (which would be completely beyond
> >>you).

Cursitor Doom does imagine he's a Big Dawg. He does fantasise a lot.

> >BS is getting weirder and weirder. He used to make sense once in a while..

But then I got bored with tolerating John Larkin's inanities.

> He's doubled down on his insane rantings since I proved he's a liar
> beyond all doubt in the thread about Iphones.

Cursitor Doom doesn't have any doubt about the validity of his non-existent proof. He does fantasise a lot.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

<bf33d16f-7883-442f-8ee7-d0af11061e3an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134616&group=sci.electronics.design#134616

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:25:06 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 06:25 UTC

On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 5:45:53 AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 10:09:00 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 12:47:10?PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote:

<snip>

> I enjoy the physical aspects of real electronic design. Dremeling,
> soldering, drilling, milling, sawing, shearing, drawing, measuring,
> whiteboarding, and probing. And blowing things up.

So much easier than calculating stuff and reading data sheets.
> "Shop" should be a required EE course. When I was in high school, boys took shop and girls took home economics.

I find carpentry very satisfying, but it's not all that useful in putting electronics hardware together. I did get taught it at school, but I had to learn cooking on my own. Happily. I ran into "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by Beck, Betholle and Julia Child very early in the process. I'm all for people learning skills that they find useful. John Larkin might learn to love transformers if he ever learned the details of how they worked.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

<sab1sihc7kcpm85nqh05lpeu27f7ukeuuq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134623&group=sci.electronics.design#134623

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 09:42:53 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 09:42 UTC

On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:05:16 -0800 (PST), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 3:28:01?PM UTC-8, john larkin wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:27:37 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >A responsible government needs to enact legislation with serious criminal penalties for the promulgators of these things. Jack-ass site like zerohedge will be shut down in a minute.
>> >
>> >"In another act of violence tied to QAnon, a California man was charged with using a speargun to kill his two children in 2021. He told an FBI agent that he had been enlightened by QAnon conspiracy theories and had become convinced that his wife “possessed serpent DNA and had passed it on to his children.”"
>> >
>> >Then there's this most recent maniac, conspiracy driven:
>> >
>> >https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pa-man-arrested-decapitating-father-youtube-video-rcna136509
>
>> Let's repeal that pesky First Amendment. There is, of course, always
>> only one true Truth.
>
>Damn, boy you ARE dense. Hate speech gets the credit for that old guy
>in your town who got a hammer to his geriatric head, and you think
>there shouldn't be any response? Every time I hear an 'abortion is murder' claim,
>I cringe, knowing there'll be a bombing or shooting at a clinic.
>
>Worse, there's nonhuman (AI, but also corporate and foreign government) propagandists
>meddling with elections, that really ARE an assault on our Constitution.
>There's a death toll on the record for the abuse of free speech called 'swatting',
>and it's a bigger share of school violence than gunplay, <https://eschoolsafety.org/swatting>
>
>The problem is networked anonymity and impersonation, which requires a
>network-level treatment. Freedom of speech isn't the name of the problem under
>discussion, rather "incitement to riot".

Wow. You're clearly very upset. Try to calm down and read this - it
may help you:

https://optimistminds.com/allodoxaphobia/

Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

<0c3b4c77-4c3b-4525-8505-7ccee3d21e10n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134626&group=sci.electronics.design#134626

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 02:36:32 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 10:36 UTC

On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 8:43:02 PM UTC+11, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:05:16 -0800 (PST), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 3:28:01?PM UTC-8, john larkin wrote:
> >> On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:27:37 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> >Worse, there's nonhuman (AI, but also corporate and foreign government) propagandists
> >meddling with elections, that really ARE an assault on our Constitution.
> >There's a death toll on the record for the abuse of free speech called 'swatting',
> >and it's a bigger share of school violence than gunplay, <https://eschoolsafety.org/swatting>
> >
> >The problem is networked anonymity and impersonation, which requires a
> >network-level treatment. Freedom of speech isn't the name of the problem under
> >discussion, rather "incitement to riot".
>
> Wow. You're clearly very upset. Try to calm down and read this - it
> may help you:
>
> https://optimistminds.com/allodoxaphobia/

You don't post "different opinions". You post false and deluded opinions. We aren't frightened of them - they too obviously ridiculous to delude anybody with a working brain.

We just dislike the waste of bandwidth. And - of course - your pretensions to knowing what you are talking about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

<mjnqsilcvk7nbndpjnatdpn6os789he1fp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134961&group=sci.electronics.design#134961

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 00:48:56 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 00:48 UTC

On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 02:36:32 -0800 (PST), Anthony William Sloman (Group
Spokesman) <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:

>On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 8:43:02?PM UTC+11, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> >Worse, there's nonhuman (AI, but also corporate and foreign government) propagandists
>> >meddling with elections, that really ARE an assault on our Constitution.
>> >There's a death toll on the record for the abuse of free speech called 'swatting',
>> >and it's a bigger share of school violence than gunplay, <https://eschoolsafety.org/swatting>
>> >
>> >The problem is networked anonymity and impersonation, which requires a
>> >network-level treatment. Freedom of speech isn't the name of the problem under
>> >discussion, rather "incitement to riot".
>>
>> Wow. You're clearly very upset. Try to calm down and read this - it
>> may help you:
>>
>> https://optimistminds.com/allodoxaphobia/
>
>You don't post "different opinions". You post false and deluded opinions. We aren't frightened of them - they too obviously ridiculous to delude anybody with a working brain.
>
>We just dislike the waste of bandwidth. And - of course - your pretensions to knowing what you are talking about.

There you go with the "we" again. Just because you and your
sock-puppet 3rdwit disagree with me doesn't give you the right to
imply you speak for *everyone* on this group.
I'm sorry you Communists hate dissenters, but there it is. Stalin's
been dead about 70 years now and anyone can say what they please. It's
called free speech - and to you that's like holy water to a vampire.

Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

<0b9dc5cb-022f-4f8b-8cc8-1e97b71ee3b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134962&group=sci.electronics.design#134962

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:56:09 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 02:56 UTC

On Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 11:49:05 AM UTC+11, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 02:36:32 -0800 (PST), Anthony William Sloman (Group
> Spokesman) <bill....@ieee.org> wrote:
> >
> ><snip>

> >> Wow. You're clearly very upset. Try to calm down and read this - it
> >> may help you:
> >>
> >> https://optimistminds.com/allodoxaphobia/
> >
> >You don't post "different opinions". You post false and deluded opinions.. We aren't frightened of them - they too obviously ridiculous to delude anybody with a working brain.
> >
> >We just dislike the waste of bandwidth. And - of course - your pretensions to knowing what you are talking about.
>
> There you go with the "we" again. Just because you and your
> sock-puppet 3rdwit disagree with me doesn't give you the right to
> imply you speak for *everyone* on this group.

I speak for quite a few people, but only in the sense that their responses are tolerably predictable. Whit3rd does seem to share some of my opinions, but I've never had any private communication with him.

> I'm sorry you Communists hate dissenters, but there it is.

There's a whole spectrum of left-wing opinion. The main stream chucked out the communists in 1871 for being undemocratic and predicted - correctly - that their undemocratic ideas would lead to a worse despotism than the Czar's. From your astronomically distant far-right point of view you may not be able to distinguish subtle shades of left-wing opinion. but the difference between democratic socialism (my attitude) and authoritarian communism is pretty substantial.

Democratic socialism tolerates a whole range of opinion and and the governments that practice it are mostly multiparty coalitions, where the coalition partners change from election to election. They thrive on dissent. The UK and Australian single party governments have loads of dissent but it is all worked out in private between the factions in ruling party and tend to rip them apart. so they lose the next election.

The American Republican currently seem to be insisting that Donald Trump actually won the 2020 election and was cheated out of his victory by imagined electoral fraud. Trump doesn't like people to dissent from that lunatic proposition.

> Stalin's been dead about 70 years now and anyone can say what they please. It's called free speech - and to you that's like holy water to a vampire.

Putin doesn't seem to like free speech, and if you say things he doesn't like you tend to up with Novichok in your underpants. Donald Trump doesn't seem to have access to that kind of assassin.

I've got no objection to free speech, but I do object to lies and you do post a lot of them. Claiming that I'm a Communist is a pretty typical example..
Claiming that democratic socialists object to free speech is another.

You can say what you like., but you can get sued for criminal libel if you get it wrong. George Soros probably won't sue you - the damages he could collect would be limited by the damage you could inflect, and your credibility is no-existent.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

<cf5ssi5j9ud7fe211a3baof35bmasv36p2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134971&group=sci.electronics.design#134971

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:49:58 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:49 UTC

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:56:09 -0800 (PST), Anthony William Sloman
<bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 11:49:05?AM UTC+11, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 02:36:32 -0800 (PST), Anthony William Sloman (Group
>> Spokesman) <bill....@ieee.org> wrote:
>> >
>> ><snip>

>> >You don't post "different opinions". You post false and deluded opinions. We aren't frightened of them - they too obviously ridiculous to delude anybody with a working brain.
>> >
>> >We just dislike the waste of bandwidth. And - of course - your pretensions to knowing what you are talking about.
>>
>> There you go with the "we" again. Just because you and your
>> sock-puppet 3rdwit disagree with me doesn't give you the right to
>> imply you speak for *everyone* on this group.
>
>I speak for quite a few people, but only in the sense that their responses are tolerably predictable. Whit3rd does seem to share some of my opinions, but I've never had any private communication with him.
>
>> I'm sorry you Communists hate dissenters, but there it is.
>
>There's a whole spectrum of left-wing opinion. The main stream chucked out the communists in 1871 for being undemocratic and predicted - correctly - that their undemocratic ideas would lead to a worse despotism than the Czar's. From your astronomically distant far-right point of view you may not be able to distinguish subtle shades of left-wing opinion. but the difference between democratic socialism (my attitude) and authoritarian communism is pretty substantial.
>
>Democratic socialism tolerates a whole range of opinion and and the governments that practice it are mostly multiparty coalitions, where the coalition partners change from election to election. They thrive on dissent. The UK and Australian single party governments have loads of dissent but it is all worked out in private between the factions in ruling party and tend to rip them apart. so they lose the next election.
>
>The American Republican currently seem to be insisting that Donald Trump actually won the 2020 election and was cheated out of his victory by imagined electoral fraud. Trump doesn't like people to dissent from that lunatic proposition.
>
>> Stalin's been dead about 70 years now and anyone can say what they please. It's called free speech - and to you that's like holy water to a vampire.
>
>Putin doesn't seem to like free speech, and if you say things he doesn't like you tend to up with Novichok in your underpants. Donald Trump doesn't seem to have access to that kind of assassin.
>
>I've got no objection to free speech, but I do object to lies and you do post a lot of them. Claiming that I'm a Communist is a pretty typical example.
>Claiming that democratic socialists object to free speech is another.
>
>You can say what you like., but you can get sued for criminal libel if you get it wrong. George Soros probably won't sue you - the damages he could collect would be limited by the damage you could inflect, and your credibility is no-existent.

Yes, as is his (in your peculiar mind) unbesmirched reputation.

Re: Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories

<0c4519c0-68de-4eb9-849e-bfdd31565a21n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=134972&group=sci.electronics.design#134972

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 06:35:32 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:35 UTC

On Friday, February 16, 2024 at 12:50:07 AM UTC+11, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:56:09 -0800 (PST), Anthony William Sloman
> <bill....@ieee.org> wrote:
> >On Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 11:49:05?AM UTC+11, Cursitor Doom wrote:
<snip>

> >You can say what you like, but you can get sued for criminal libel if you get it wrong. George Soros probably won't sue you - the damages he could collect would be limited by the damage you could inflect, and your credibility is no-existent.
>
> Yes, as is his (in your peculiar mind) unbesmirched reputation.

I didn't say anything about his general reputation. My problem was with the particular smear you came up with, which was an entirely bizarre misrepresentation of a well known incident from his time as a 14-year-old in hiding from the Nazi's. He was still 14 when Hungary fell to the Russians on the 4th April 1945 - Germany had actually invaded Hungary on the 19th March 1944, so he had to hide for just over a year.

The peculiar mind here is yours, and it does seem to be obsessed with coming with utterly implausible smears.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney