From: jl@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: but spelling is not
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 15:21:38 -0800
 by: john larkin - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 23:21 UTC

https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/embedded/video/21283609/electronic-design-time-synchronization-is-crucial-in-modern-electonics

Re: but spelling is not

<urotbs$asg7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135323&group=sci.electronics.design#135323

From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: but spelling is not
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 14:23:31 +1100
 by: Bill Sloman - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 03:23 UTC

On 29/02/2024 10:21 am, john larkin wrote:

> https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/embedded/video/21283609/electronic-design-time-synchronization-is-crucial-in-modern-electonics

We are supposed to watch an Electronic Design video on the basis that
John Larkin - who can't spell semester - thinks it includes a spelling
error? One of the better engineers I've known was hopelessly dyslexic,
to the point where he couldn't be persuaded that "there", "their" and
"they're" were different words.

His insights were worth having even if his spelling was eccentric.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: but spelling is not

<urpegj$dno9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135326&group=sci.electronics.design#135326

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:16:19 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:16 UTC

On 29/02/2024 03:23, Bill Sloman wrote:
> On 29/02/2024 10:21 am, john larkin wrote:
>>
>> https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/embedded/video/21283609/electronic-design-time-synchronization-is-crucial-in-modern-electonics
>
> We are supposed to watch an Electronic Design video on the basis that
> John Larkin - who can't spell semester - thinks it includes a spelling
> error?

I think that John was simply pointing out there's a spelling error in
the title of the article (and the URL for that matter): "Time
Synchronization is Crucial in Modern Electonics"

Electonics? At least get the title right!

One of the better engineers I've known was hopelessly dyslexic,
> to the point where he couldn't be persuaded that "there", "their" and
> "they're" were different words.
>
> His insights were worth having even if his spelling was eccentric.

Perhaps, and errors of that sort won't be picked up by a spell checker,
although a grammar checker should. I've never understood why people
can't be bothered to use the spell checker built in to most, if not all,
news clients.

--

Jeff

Re: but spelling is not

<urps49$gqns$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135328&group=sci.electronics.design#135328

From: jeroen@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:09:53 +0100
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:09 UTC

On 2/29/24 09:16, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 29/02/2024 03:23, Bill Sloman wrote:
>> On 29/02/2024 10:21 am, john larkin wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/embedded/video/21283609/electronic-design-time-synchronization-is-crucial-in-modern-electonics
>>
>> We are supposed to watch an Electronic Design video on the basis that
>> John Larkin - who can't spell semester - thinks it includes a spelling
>> error?
>
> I think that John was simply pointing out there's a spelling error in
> the title of the article (and the URL for that matter): "Time
> Synchronization is Crucial in Modern Electonics"
>
> Electonics? At least get the title right!
>
>  One of the better engineers I've known was hopelessly dyslexic,
>> to the point where he couldn't be persuaded that "there", "their" and
>> "they're" were different words.
>>
>> His insights were worth having even if his spelling was eccentric.
>
> Perhaps, and errors of that sort won't be picked up by a spell checker,
> although a grammar checker should. I've never understood why people
> can't be bothered to use the spell checker built in to most, if not all,
> news clients.

A spelling checker is welcome to highlight what it thinks are
errors, but the current fad of interactively autocompleting or
autocorrecting my prose is a royal nuisance. Those 'features' are
sure to change the meaning of what I was trying to write. I always
switch it off. Too bad if that means that the occasional error
will slip through.

Spelling checkers are a nuisance when you often switch language,
too. I trust grammar checkers even less.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: but spelling is not

<urpu78$h5m3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135329&group=sci.electronics.design#135329

From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 23:44:14 +1100
 by: Bill Sloman - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:44 UTC

On 29/02/2024 11:09 pm, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> On 2/29/24 09:16, Jeff Layman wrote:

>>> We are supposed to watch an Electronic Design video on the basis that
>>> John Larkin - who can't spell semester - thinks it includes a spelling
>>> error?
>>
>> I think that John was simply pointing out there's a spelling error in
>> the title of the article (and the URL for that matter): "Time
>> Synchronization is Crucial in Modern Electonics"
>>
>> Electonics? At least get the title right!
>>
>>   One of the better engineers I've known was hopelessly dyslexic,
>>> to the point where he couldn't be persuaded that "there", "their" and
>>> "they're" were different words.
>>>
>>> His insights were worth having even if his spelling was eccentric.
>>
>> Perhaps, and errors of that sort won't be picked up by a spell
>> checker, although a grammar checker should. I've never understood why
>> people can't be bothered to use the spell checker built in to most, if
>> not all, news clients.
>
> A spelling checker is welcome to highlight what it thinks are
> errors, but the current fad of interactively auto-completing or
> auto-correcting my prose is a royal nuisance. Those 'features' are
> sure to change the meaning of what I was trying to write. I always
> switch it off. Too bad if that means that the occasional error
> will slip through.

Spell-checking is fine, but auto-completion is a total nuisance and
auto-correction gets it wrong often enough that I do turn it off.

> Spelling checkers are a nuisance when you often switch language,
> too. I trust grammar checkers even less.

I can speak, read andunderstand Dutch fluently, but nobody ever wanted
me to write anything in Dutch, so I never did enough of it to get the
grammatical rules properly internalised.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney