From: alien@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: The end of HDMI?
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 06:29:07 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 06:29 UTC

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/hdmi-forum-to-amd-no-you-cant-make-an-open-source-hdmi-2-1-driver/
HDMI Forum to AMD: No, you can’t make an open source HDMI 2.1 driver
Linux users can't hit the same resolutions and speeds as Windows—or DisplayPort.

Even my Samsung TV uses Linux and HDMI
So, and it is a fishy standard anywasy, but the Samsung code was downloadble
as open source once (when I bought it long ago) but older HDMI version.

What a lot of crap that HDMI club, away with it!!

What a lot of shit, just design your own interface...
Ethernet is more universal?
Wonder whar the new Raspberry Pi will have, and if you have to fork out for a license
like once for decoding video (early Raspberry Pi, I had a license ..

Re: The end of HDMI?

<l4e967Fos0rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135354&group=sci.electronics.design#135354

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: The end of HDMI?
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 15:05:43 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 15:05 UTC

On 01/03/2024 06:29, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/hdmi-forum-to-amd-no-you-cant-make-an-open-source-hdmi-2-1-driver/
> HDMI Forum to AMD: No, you can’t make an open source HDMI 2.1 driver
> Linux users can't hit the same resolutions and speeds as Windows—or DisplayPort.
>
> Even my Samsung TV uses Linux and HDMI
> So, and it is a fishy standard anywasy, but the Samsung code was downloadble
> as open source once (when I bought it long ago) but older HDMI version.
>
> What a lot of crap that HDMI club, away with it!!
>
> What a lot of shit, just design your own interface...
> Ethernet is more universal?
> Wonder whar the new Raspberry Pi will have, and if you have to fork out for a license
> like once for decoding video (early Raspberry Pi, I had a license ..

Display Port might be a better alternative in the long run, it is
royalty free. But it can't do everything HDMI can do.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).