From: alien@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: OT: Where will it go?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 05:50:48 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 05:50 UTC

Research sheds light on new strategy to treat infertility
OHSU research advances technique to turn a skin cell into an egg; could help same-sex couples, others have children genetically related to both parents
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240308142739.htm

Now where will it go?

Re: OT: Where will it go?

<t7i0vilp7hotbe2alnse53ij9onl62jb5s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135674&group=sci.electronics.design#135674

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: Where will it go?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:22:32 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:22 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 05:50:48 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

>Research sheds light on new strategy to treat infertility
>OHSU research advances technique to turn a skin cell into an egg; could help same-sex couples, others have children genetically related to both parents
> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240308142739.htm
>
>Now where will it go?

Read Huxley much?

Re: OT: Where will it go?

<usplqj$afib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135681&group=sci.electronics.design#135681

From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 00:37:14 +1100
 by: Bill Sloman - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:37 UTC

On 12/03/2024 11:22 pm, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 05:50:48 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Research sheds light on new strategy to treat infertility
>> OHSU research advances technique to turn a skin cell into an egg; could help same-sex couples, others have children genetically related to both parents
>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240308142739.htm
>>
>> Now where will it go?
>
> Read Huxley much?

Huxley's "Brave New World" didn't talk about that kind of reproductive
engineering at all. The lower classes were deliberated messed up on the
basis that it would have made them more biddable wage slaves, which is
nonsense.

Robert Plombin's "Blueprint"

https://www.penguin.com.au/books/blueprint-9780141984261

reflects a better informed opinion of what we need to know to produce
people who will do well in specific roles, but the main message is that
we don't know nearly enough to have any hope of doing it.

We don't know enough about how people work to have any idea how a
difference in a single nucleotide in our three billion nucleotide genome
affects our capacities, and we do know that they differ at about a
million sites in genome that are entirely human.

Anything gross enough to be easily measured - like years in education -
turns out to slightly influenced by thousand of single genetic
polymorphism, none with much of an effect.

The research reported wasn't aimed at doing anything of the kind -
merely at more ways of getting more or less viable zygotes for people
who can't produce egg and sperm cells in the usual way.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Where will it go?

<usptm7$19244$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135686&group=sci.electronics.design#135686

From: alien@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:51:35 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:51 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:22:32 +0000) it happened Cursitor Doom
<cd@notformail.com> wrote in <t7i0vilp7hotbe2alnse53ij9onl62jb5s@4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 05:50:48 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>Research sheds light on new strategy to treat infertility
>>OHSU research advances technique to turn a skin cell into an egg; could help same-sex couples, others have children genetically
>>related to both parents
>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240308142739.htm
>>
>>Now where will it go?
>
>Read Huxley much?

Did you mean Aldous Huxley?
Never read about him or things he wrote, so google gave me his link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldous_Huxley
interesting, seems he got addicted in the end, wanted LSD on his deathbed?
but I do recognize some things in his thinking..
Went trough similar things, never got addicted though always rationalize.
Maybe my will is too strong.
My father used to say: Where there is a will there is a way.
To go full circle to the skin and egg thing... may even become the normal
But human + chicken egg? LOL Who knows

Re: OT: Where will it go?

<edh1vil5pcoisqfid2hab7urrimpnkbct9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135690&group=sci.electronics.design#135690

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:19:57 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:19 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:51:35 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

>On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:22:32 +0000) it happened Cursitor Doom
><cd@notformail.com> wrote in <t7i0vilp7hotbe2alnse53ij9onl62jb5s@4ax.com>:
>
>>On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 05:50:48 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Research sheds light on new strategy to treat infertility
>>>OHSU research advances technique to turn a skin cell into an egg; could help same-sex couples, others have children genetically
>>>related to both parents
>>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240308142739.htm
>>>
>>>Now where will it go?
>>
>>Read Huxley much?
>
>Did you mean Aldous Huxley?
>Never read about him or things he wrote, so google gave me his link:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldous_Huxley
>interesting, seems he got addicted in the end, wanted LSD on his deathbed?

I don't believe it's possible to become addicted to LSD. Huxley wanted
it once again on his deathbed to make a horrible demise into something
special. Just for old times sake.

>but I do recognize some things in his thinking..
>Went trough similar things, never got addicted though always rationalize.
>Maybe my will is too strong.
>My father used to say: Where there is a will there is a way.
>To go full circle to the skin and egg thing... may even become the normal
>But human + chicken egg? LOL Who knows

Huxley's work was *so* much more than The Doors of Perception. I
suggest you read Brave New World, then you'll see the relevance of my
initial comment. It's all about that future.

Re: OT: Where will it go?

<usr4gh$l0kq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135693&group=sci.electronics.design#135693

From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 13:53:57 +1100
 by: Bill Sloman - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 02:53 UTC

On 13/03/2024 8:19 am, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:51:35 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:22:32 +0000) it happened Cursitor Doom
>> <cd@notformail.com> wrote in <t7i0vilp7hotbe2alnse53ij9onl62jb5s@4ax.com>:

>>> Read Huxley much?
>>
>> Did you mean Aldous Huxley?
>> Never read about him or things he wrote, so google gave me his link:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldous_Huxley
>> interesting, seems he got addicted in the end, wanted LSD on his deathbed?
>
> I don't believe it's possible to become addicted to LSD. Huxley wanted
> it once again on his deathbed to make a horrible demise into something
> special. Just for old times sake.
>
>> but I do recognize some things in his thinking..
>> Went trough similar things, never got addicted though always rationalize.
>> Maybe my will is too strong
>> My father used to say: Where there is a will there is a way.
>> To go full circle to the skin and egg thing... may even become the normal
>> But human + chicken egg? LOL Who knows.

Anybody with more sense than Jan Panteltje - most people.

> Huxley's work was *so* much more than The Doors of Perception. I
> suggest you read Brave New World, then you'll see the relevance of my
> initial comment. It's all about that future.

It's not. "Brave New World" is a future imagined in 1932 by a clever man
who didn't know all that much about anything specific. As prophecy it is
risible.

There were quite a few clever Huxley's. Aldous was one of the less
clever ones.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney