Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon

tech / sci.electronics.design / $400 keyboard

SubjectAuthor
* $400 keyboardJohn Larkin
`* Re: $400 keyboardbitrex
 `* Re: $400 keyboardJohn Larkin
  +* Re: $400 keyboardbitrex
  |`* Re: $400 keyboardJohn Larkin
  | `* Re: $400 keyboardWandere
  |  `- Re: $400 keyboardJohn Larkin
  `- Re: $400 keyboardDimiter_Popoff

1
$400 keyboard

<45b30jtehc3bl8sk95s90n3s9halr2l583@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135880&group=sci.electronics.design#135880

From: jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: $400 keyboard
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 09:59:40 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 16:59 UTC

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F51G16

Re: $400 keyboard

<6601aea8$0$2130800$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135881&group=sci.electronics.design#135881

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:04:40 -0400
Subject: Re: $400 keyboard
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: user@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:04 UTC

On 3/25/2024 12:59 PM, John Larkin wrote:

> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F51G16

Bizarre, when I clicked on it said I had bought it at one time, I did
several years back for the lab PC. Definitely didn't pay that for it, it
was maybe $40.

Garbage keyboard, it started mis-firing within about 8 months and the
key-caps are very difficult to remove without breaking them. All of my
$4.99 surplus HP keyboards from the Goodwill have lasted way longer.

Re: $400 keyboard

<n5c30jppdn7buis33mjdmr2vsak6f9mmrj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135882&group=sci.electronics.design#135882

From: jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 10:20:29 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:20 UTC

On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:04:40 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 3/25/2024 12:59 PM, John Larkin wrote:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F51G16
>
>Bizarre, when I clicked on it said I had bought it at one time, I did
>several years back for the lab PC. Definitely didn't pay that for it, it
>was maybe $40.
>
>Garbage keyboard, it started mis-firing within about 8 months and the
>key-caps are very difficult to remove without breaking them. All of my
>$4.99 surplus HP keyboards from the Goodwill have lasted way longer.

I'm typing on one now. It's OK. I definitely didn't pay $400 for it. I
need two new keyboards, but not Logitech.

I think some people (Amazon, ebay, Digikey) have some insanely priced
stuff, assuming that someone will buy them for some reason.

I do like to remove keycaps and add some glue or something to disable
them. Caps lock, insert.

Re: $400 keyboard

<6601b481$0$2130804$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135883&group=sci.electronics.design#135883

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:29:37 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: user@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:29 UTC

<https://www.amazon.com/NTE-ELECTRONICS-NTE27-TRANSISTOR-BJT/dp/B011OWMO1U/>

> I do like to remove keycaps and add some glue or something to disable
> them. Caps lock, insert.

Re: $400 keyboard

<cad30jt5hij4k9kqukutkssn9b36bs7evu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135884&group=sci.electronics.design#135884

From: jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 10:34:04 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:34 UTC

On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:29:37 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 3/25/2024 1:20 PM, John Larkin wrote:

>>> Bizarre, when I clicked on it said I had bought it at one time, I did
>>> several years back for the lab PC. Definitely didn't pay that for it, it
>>> was maybe $40.
>>>
>>> Garbage keyboard, it started mis-firing within about 8 months and the
>>> key-caps are very difficult to remove without breaking them. All of my
>>> $4.99 surplus HP keyboards from the Goodwill have lasted way longer.
>>
>> I'm typing on one now. It's OK. I definitely didn't pay $400 for it. I
>> need two new keyboards, but not Logitech.
>>
>> I think some people (Amazon, ebay, Digikey) have some insanely priced
>> stuff, assuming that someone will buy them for some reason.
>
><https://www.amazon.com/NTE-ELECTRONICS-NTE27-TRANSISTOR-BJT/dp/B011OWMO1U/>
>
>> I do like to remove keycaps and add some glue or something to disable
>> them. Caps lock, insert.

On the other hand,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWCFH57N

Re: $400 keyboard

<utsrtm$1b9dn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135885&group=sci.electronics.design#135885

From: dp@tgi-sci.com (Dimiter_Popoff)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 23:56:06 +0200
 by: Dimiter_Popoff - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 21:56 UTC

On 3/25/2024 19:20, John Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:04:40 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> On 3/25/2024 12:59 PM, John Larkin wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F51G16
>>
>> Bizarre, when I clicked on it said I had bought it at one time, I did
>> several years back for the lab PC. Definitely didn't pay that for it, it
>> was maybe $40.
>>
>> Garbage keyboard, it started mis-firing within about 8 months and the
>> key-caps are very difficult to remove without breaking them. All of my
>> $4.99 surplus HP keyboards from the Goodwill have lasted way longer.
>
> I'm typing on one now. It's OK. I definitely didn't pay $400 for it. I
> need two new keyboards, but not Logitech.
>
> I think some people (Amazon, ebay, Digikey) have some insanely priced
> stuff, assuming that someone will buy them for some reason.
>
> I do like to remove keycaps and add some glue or something to disable
> them. Caps lock, insert.

I got this one about a year ago. Only tested (not in everyday use yet)
but feels as good as it could feel.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001377016222.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.124.3fcb1802RILlAS

Re: $400 keyboard

<982437@dontemail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135891&group=sci.electronics.design#135891

From: dont@emailme.com (Wandere)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:52:43
 by: Wandere - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:52 UTC

On John Larkin wrote:
>On the other hand,
>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWCFH57N

Do you actually use protoboard like this? I usually went directly to PCBs.
If I used protoboard, I would use the no copper perfboard and just bend
leads and use jumper wire. The copper on the boards just got in the way.
For surface mount I liked the 'surfboards' without the leads. Double stick
tape them to copper clad and use that as a ground plane. I always believed
I could of designed the surfboards better. For one, they should have had
copper clad on the back so I could use that as the power plane and then
double stick tape it to the ground plane.

Re: $400 keyboard

<jdv50jpfrvqlqdgne40bit2bk9nrbtfr57@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135893&group=sci.electronics.design#135893

From: jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:03:35 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:03 UTC

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:52:43, Wanderer<dont@emailme.com> wrote:

>On John Larkin wrote:
>>On the other hand,
>>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWCFH57N

But I was impressed by the price.

>Do you actually use protoboard like this?

No. It's ugly and confusing. I dremel copperclad and use surface-mount
adapters, or quick-turn 4-layer PCBs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k41hgzd9j20ucey/Z482_PCB_Top.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uoeruouhcoz6al/Z482_Can.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yur6uuhytc7cfcn/D200_BB_4.JPG?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nlhqy7c8mt2xv3/LDP2.JPG?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zaftysxtgclxj82/Z412_Proto.JPG?raw=1

>I usually went directly to PCBs.
>If I used protoboard, I would use the no copper perfboard and just bend
>leads and use jumper wire. The copper on the boards just got in the way.
>For surface mount I liked the 'surfboards' without the leads. Double stick
>tape them to copper clad and use that as a ground plane. I always believed
>I could of designed the surfboards better. For one, they should have had
>copper clad on the back so I could use that as the power plane and then
>double stick tape it to the ground plane.

I had a few square feet of copperclad gold plated both sides. I shear
it up into rectangles to make protos. It's beautiful.