Be consistent. -- Larry Wall in the perl man page

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer

SubjectAuthor
* MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometerJan Panteltje
`* Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometerMartin Brown
 `* Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometerJohn Larkin
  +* Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometerPhil Hobbs
  |`* Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometerGlen Walpert
  | `- Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometerPhil Hobbs
  +- Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometerBill Sloman
  `- Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometerMartin Brown

1
MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer

<uuvss9$986g$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136199&group=sci.electronics.design#136199

From: alien@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 04:47:04 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 04:47 UTC

Researchers 3D print key components for a point-of-care mass spectrometer
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240404113429.htm
pdf:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jasms.3c00409

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer

<uv0d2c$3dhmh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136203&group=sci.electronics.design#136203

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:23:24 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 09:23 UTC

On 08/04/2024 05:47, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Researchers 3D print key components for a point-of-care mass spectrometer
> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240404113429.htm
> pdf:
> https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jasms.3c00409
>
> Massachusetts Institute of Technology

It is complete nonsense. Making the hard vacuum needed for ions to move
freely in mass spectrometry and sample handling to introduce the sample
into the unit without losing vacuum are fundamentals that won't go away.

The closest to a quick dirt cheap MS is time of flight laser ablation if
your sample is a solid or can be put on one. Liquid samples are really
messy and water vapour is the bane of vacuum systems.

Selective ion probes offer a much better alternative for bio samples (I
suppose the MIT PR department has to justify its existence somehow).

--
Martin Brown

Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer

<hiv71jl2oojqal9kcivl2brh88lron0k4g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136208&group=sci.electronics.design#136208

From: jl@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 07:28:16 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:28 UTC

On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:23:24 +0100, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 08/04/2024 05:47, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> Researchers 3D print key components for a point-of-care mass spectrometer
>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240404113429.htm
>> pdf:
>> https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jasms.3c00409
>>
>> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>
>It is complete nonsense. Making the hard vacuum needed for ions to move
>freely in mass spectrometry and sample handling to introduce the sample
>into the unit without losing vacuum are fundamentals that won't go away.
>
>The closest to a quick dirt cheap MS is time of flight laser ablation if
>your sample is a solid or can be put on one. Liquid samples are really
>messy and water vapour is the bane of vacuum systems.
>
>Selective ion probes offer a much better alternative for bio samples (I
>suppose the MIT PR department has to justify its existence somehow).

I'd expect 3D printed stuff to outgas forever.

3D is super slow, too. I've heard of modestly complex parts taking
days to fab. The upside is that it can make things that are impossible
to machine or mold.

Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer

<b18fb4a0-b9ea-a723-c0fc-a0b906eca589@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136210&group=sci.electronics.design#136210

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:49:34 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:49 UTC

On 2024-04-08 10:28, John Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:23:24 +0100, Martin Brown
> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 08/04/2024 05:47, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>>> Researchers 3D print key components for a point-of-care mass spectrometer
>>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240404113429.htm
>>> pdf:
>>> https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jasms.3c00409
>>>
>>> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>>
>> It is complete nonsense. Making the hard vacuum needed for ions to move
>> freely in mass spectrometry and sample handling to introduce the sample
>> into the unit without losing vacuum are fundamentals that won't go away.
>>
>> The closest to a quick dirt cheap MS is time of flight laser ablation if
>> your sample is a solid or can be put on one. Liquid samples are really
>> messy and water vapour is the bane of vacuum systems.
>>
>> Selective ion probes offer a much better alternative for bio samples (I
>> suppose the MIT PR department has to justify its existence somehow).
>
> I'd expect 3D printed stuff to outgas forever.
>
> 3D is super slow, too. I've heard of modestly complex parts taking
> days to fab. The upside is that it can make things that are impossible
> to machine or mold.

3D resin printers are super cheap nowadays, and can do beautiful things.
They're basically contact printers made with 8k display LCDs and UV
LEDs, and give you nice repeatable 17-micron voxels.

It doesn't matter so much that something takes a day to print, if you
can have a shelf full of printers for $2k.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer

<uv11q4$3iprj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136212&group=sci.electronics.design#136212

From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 01:17:21 +1000
 by: Bill Sloman - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:17 UTC

On 9/04/2024 12:28 am, John Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:23:24 +0100, Martin Brown
> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 08/04/2024 05:47, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>>> Researchers 3D print key components for a point-of-care mass spectrometer
>>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240404113429.htm
>>> pdf:
>>> https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jasms.3c00409
>>>
>>> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>>
>> It is complete nonsense. Making the hard vacuum needed for ions to move
>> freely in mass spectrometry and sample handling to introduce the sample
>> into the unit without losing vacuum are fundamentals that won't go away.
>>
>> The closest to a quick dirt cheap MS is time of flight laser ablation if
>> your sample is a solid or can be put on one. Liquid samples are really
>> messy and water vapour is the bane of vacuum systems.
>>
>> Selective ion probes offer a much better alternative for bio samples (I
>> suppose the MIT PR department has to justify its existence somehow).
>
> I'd expect 3D printed stuff to outgas forever.

It wouldn't be much use in a mass spectrometer if it did.
Out-gassing vaccuum systems always involves getting them hot for quite a
while and pumping them hard. Maybe you have to laser fuse a thin layer
over the entire surface while maintaining a high vaccuum.

> 3D is super slow, too. I've heard of modestly complex parts taking
> days to fab. The upside is that it can make things that are impossible
> to machine or mold.

As Phil Hobbs says, the printers are cheap so you can put a lot in
parallel. The post-processing to get the outgassing down might not be so
easily paralleled.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer

<rS%QN.118671$IfLe.38828@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136223&group=sci.electronics.design#136223

From: nospam@null.void (Glen Walpert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 00:21:43 GMT
 by: Glen Walpert - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 00:21 UTC

On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:49:34 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

> On 2024-04-08 10:28, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:23:24 +0100, Martin Brown
>> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>>> It is complete nonsense. Making the hard vacuum needed for ions to
>>> move freely in mass spectrometry and sample handling to introduce the
>>> sample into the unit without losing vacuum are fundamentals that won't
>>> go away.
>>>
>>> The closest to a quick dirt cheap MS is time of flight laser ablation
>>> if your sample is a solid or can be put on one. Liquid samples are
>>> really messy and water vapour is the bane of vacuum systems.
>>>
>>> Selective ion probes offer a much better alternative for bio samples
>>> (I suppose the MIT PR department has to justify its existence
>>> somehow).
>>
>> I'd expect 3D printed stuff to outgas forever.
>>
>> 3D is super slow, too. I've heard of modestly complex parts taking days
>> to fab. The upside is that it can make things that are impossible to
>> machine or mold.
>>
> 3D resin printers are super cheap nowadays, and can do beautiful things.
> They're basically contact printers made with 8k display LCDs and UV
> LEDs, and give you nice repeatable 17-micron voxels.
>
> It doesn't matter so much that something takes a day to print, if you
> can have a shelf full of printers for $2k.
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs

Not all 3D printers use resin, for instance:

<https://www.nasa.gov/humans-in-space/nasa-tests-3-d-printed-rocket-part-
to-reduce-future-sls-engine-costs/>

This isn't the first 3D printed part in the RS-25 engine (evolved from the
SSME), just the largest so far. The printer for beach-ball size titanium
parts might cost a bit more than $2k and probably won't fit on a shelf,
but I bet those helium-tight components don't outgas much :-).

(I did the detail, process and tooling designs for the HP oxidizer
turbopump shaft seals for the original SSME ~1980, per proposal design and
design rules by the late Dr. Philip Stein, PhD in metallurgy from MIT 1927
IIRC. LOX on one side, hot H2 and steam on the other, lube oil mist and
bearings in between, ~28k RPM shaft with play and significant thermal
movement, engines shut down automatically if either seal fails. So I
check now and then to make sure none of my parts have failed :-).

Glen

Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer

<uv22n3$3qila$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136224&group=sci.electronics.design#136224

From: pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 00:38:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:UZ85d1OzXGaQWdt0yLUZlgiwBJY=
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 00:38 UTC

Glen Walpert <nospam@null.void> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:49:34 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>
>> On 2024-04-08 10:28, John Larkin wrote:

>>> I'd expect 3D printed stuff to outgas forever.
>>>
>>> 3D is super slow, too. I've heard of modestly complex parts taking days
>>> to fab. The upside is that it can make things that are impossible to
>>> machine or mold.
>>>
>> 3D resin printers are super cheap nowadays, and can do beautiful things.
>> They're basically contact printers made with 8k display LCDs and UV
>> LEDs, and give you nice repeatable 17-micron voxels.
>>
>> It doesn't matter so much that something takes a day to print, if you
>> can have a shelf full of printers for $2k.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> Not all 3D printers use resin, for instance:
>
> <https://www.nasa.gov/humans-in-space/nasa-tests-3-d-printed-rocket-part-
> to-reduce-future-sls-engine-costs/>
>
> This isn't the first 3D printed part in the RS-25 engine (evolved from the
> SSME), just the largest so far. The printer for beach-ball size titanium
> parts might cost a bit more than $2k and probably won't fit on a shelf,
> but I bet those helium-tight components don't outgas much :-).

Fun. The resin printers start at around $100, though. I’m very willing to
trade off the ability to print titanium for that. ;)

> (I did the detail, process and tooling designs for the HP oxidizer
> turbopump shaft seals for the original SSME ~1980, per proposal design and
> design rules by the late Dr. Philip Stein, PhD in metallurgy from MIT 1927
> IIRC. LOX on one side, hot H2 and steam on the other, lube oil mist and
> bearings in between, ~28k RPM shaft with play and significant thermal
> movement, engines shut down automatically if either seal fails. So I
> check now and then to make sure none of my parts have failed :-).

An excellent idea.
I do the same with my body parts. ;)

> Glen

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer

<uv39sr$6omr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136235&group=sci.electronics.design#136235

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 12:47:38 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:47 UTC

On 08/04/2024 15:28, John Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:23:24 +0100, Martin Brown
> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 08/04/2024 05:47, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>>> Researchers 3D print key components for a point-of-care mass spectrometer
>>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240404113429.htm
>>> pdf:
>>> https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jasms.3c00409
>>>
>>> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>>
>> It is complete nonsense. Making the hard vacuum needed for ions to move
>> freely in mass spectrometry and sample handling to introduce the sample
>> into the unit without losing vacuum are fundamentals that won't go away.
>>
>> The closest to a quick dirt cheap MS is time of flight laser ablation if
>> your sample is a solid or can be put on one. Liquid samples are really
>> messy and water vapour is the bane of vacuum systems.
>>
>> Selective ion probes offer a much better alternative for bio samples (I
>> suppose the MIT PR department has to justify its existence somehow).
>
> I'd expect 3D printed stuff to outgas forever.

Some of the exotic very crosslinked UV polymers from resin baths might
not outgas but the sintered stuff would be very problematic. Using 3D
printing for a variant of lost wax metal casting would be OK though.

Back when I was involved the only polymers allowed in hard vacuum were
PTFE (which creeps) and PEEK (which is a good engineering plastic).
Nothing else could stand up to the aggressive baking procedures needed
to dry them out to hard vacuum.

> 3D is super slow, too. I've heard of modestly complex parts taking
> days to fab. The upside is that it can make things that are impossible
> to machine or mold.

My favourite toy demo on 3D printers is a digital sundial which shows
the time in a 7 segment style display with 10 minute resolution.
Adjusting it for summertime is a trivial rotation.

--
Martin Brown