Computer programs expand so as to fill the core available.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Eclipse

SubjectAuthor
* EclipsePhil Hobbs
+* Re:EclipseMartin Rid
|`* Re: Re:EclipseMartin Brown
| +* Re: Re:EclipseCrash Gordon
| |`- Re: Re:EclipseMartin Brown
| +* Re: Eclipsebitrex
| |`* Re: EclipseMartin Brown
| | `* Re: EclipseGrant Taylor
| |  `- Re: EclipseCursitor Doom
| `- Re: Re:Eclipsebitrex
+* Re: EclipseWandere
|`* Re: Eclipsejohn larkin
| `* Re: Eclipsebitrex
|  `- Re: EclipseGrant Taylor
`- Re: EclipseTom Del Rosso

1
Eclipse

<uv1i45$3mq9q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136217&group=sci.electronics.design#136217

From: pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Eclipse
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 19:55:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:apzQlsCax0b8LNwny+pf/LsrfDw=
 by: Phil Hobbs - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 19:55 UTC

A pretty good partial eclipse is just ending here. We had about 90%
obscuration here.

George H should have been in the path of totality. George? You out there,
man?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

Re:Eclipse

<uv26p2$3rc2t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136225&group=sci.electronics.design#136225

From: martin_riddle@verison.net (Martin Rid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re:Eclipse
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 21:48:16 -0400 (EDT)
 by: Martin Rid - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 01:48 UTC

Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> Wrote in message:r
> A pretty good partial eclipse is just ending here. We had about 90%obscuration here. George H should have been in the path of totality. George? You out there,man?Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

Was fun to watch, surprised how I noticed things getting brighter
2 min after the max. Thought it take longer. And we only ha 89%
percent

Cheers
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Re: Re:Eclipse

<uv340h$5bgj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136234&group=sci.electronics.design#136234

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Re:Eclipse
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:07:12 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:07 UTC

On 09/04/2024 02:48, Martin Rid wrote:
> Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> Wrote in message:r
>> A pretty good partial eclipse is just ending here. We had about 90%obscuration here. George H should have been in the path of totality. George? You out there,man?Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
>
> Was fun to watch, surprised how I noticed things getting brighter
> 2 min after the max. Thought it take longer. And we only ha 89%
> percent

Bit late to say it now but if you were that close to the line of
totality it is worth travelling a few hundred miles to see a total
eclipse. The very last 0.1% obscuration makes all the difference.

Surprisingly uniform and smooth corona considering how active the sun
has been recently - I was expecting to see some streamers.

They are truly awe inspiring and I can see why eclipse chasers do it.
Everyone should see one if they possibly can. The ancients must have
found it completely terrifying to watch the sun get eaten up in the sky.

I thought about going to see this one but the seasonal weather
predictions for the track were not so great at this time of year.
Several of my US friends went to see it though on the main axis.

--
Martin Brown

Re: Eclipse

<147267@dontemail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136238&group=sci.electronics.design#136238

From: dont@emailme.com (Wandere)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 11:32:25
 by: Wandere - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:32 UTC

Phil Hobbs wrote:

>A pretty good partial eclipse is just ending here. We had about 90%
>obscuration here.

>George H should have been in the path of totality. George? You out there,
>man?

>Cheers

>Phil Hobbs

I was on the edge of totality. It lasted one and half minutes. It got colder but it didn't get windy and it got darker but not dark enough to see the stars. I could see Jupiter and Venus. The sky was red along the horizon, so it looked like the eclipse was floating above the sunset.

How many planets have intelligent life and a moon the right size and in the right orbit so that someone can see a total eclipse? Our planet is unique in the galaxy.

Re: Re:Eclipse

<uv3r0e$aiiu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136240&group=sci.electronics.design#136240

From: uucp@crashelex.com (Crash Gordon)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:39:42 -0500
 by: Crash Gordon - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:39 UTC

On 4/9/2024 5:07 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 09/04/2024 02:48, Martin Rid wrote:
> The very last 0.1% obscuration makes all the difference.
> They are truly awe inspiring and I can see why eclipse chasers do it.
> Everyone should see one if they possibly can.

I traveled from the Chicago suburbs to Kansas City to see the '17
eclipse. Clouds kicked in about 5 minutes before totality but I got to
see the darkness fall, cicadas started up, etc.

This time I stayed home. They'd been saying we were to get 94%
coverage, but my shadowbox images don't appear to show anything near
that -- more like maybe 70% at most. I could see the character of the
sunlight got kind of gray, but that was it.

One of the local TV weathermen went to the center of the track, and was
literally in tears on the air. I thought it was neat but not neat
enough to create emotional turmoil. Granted I didn't experience totality.

--
I'm part of the vast libertarian conspiracy to take over the world and
leave everyone alone.

Re: Eclipse

<q4ua1jditiklhrj4fuvnkdkc6dh7l7hmne@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136242&group=sci.electronics.design#136242

From: jl@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 10:22:57 -0700
 by: john larkin - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:22 UTC

On Tue, 09 Apr 2024 11:32:25, Wanderer<dont@emailme.com> wrote:

>Phil Hobbs wrote:
>
>>A pretty good partial eclipse is just ending here. We had about 90%
>>obscuration here.
>
>>George H should have been in the path of totality. George? You out there,
>>man?
>
>>Cheers
>
>>Phil Hobbs
>
>I was on the edge of totality. It lasted one and half minutes. It got colder but it didn't get windy and it got darker but not dark enough to see the stars. I could see Jupiter and Venus. The sky was red along the horizon, so it looked like the eclipse was floating above the sunset.
>
>How many planets have intelligent life and a moon the right size and in the right orbit so that someone can see a total eclipse? Our planet is unique in the galaxy.

We were all on the roof, looking at the eclipse (we got maybe 30%
here) and we talked about that. Earth is maybe too good to be an
accident.

We're lucky that birds can fly, and water exists in three states, and
that we can see the stars.

Re: Eclipse

<6616254f$0$3711190$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136253&group=sci.electronics.design#136253

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 01:36:14 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: user@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 05:36 UTC

On 4/9/2024 6:07 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 09/04/2024 02:48, Martin Rid wrote:
>> Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> Wrote in message:r
>>> A pretty good partial eclipse is just ending here. We had about
>>> 90%obscuration here. George H should have been in the path of
>>> totality.  George?  You out there,man?Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip
>>> C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
>>> /Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog
>>> Electronics
>>
>> Was fun to watch, surprised how I noticed things getting brighter
>>   2 min after the max. Thought it take longer. And we only ha 89%
>>   percent
>
> Bit late to say it now but if you were that close to the line of
> totality it is worth travelling a few hundred miles to see a total
> eclipse. The very last 0.1% obscuration makes all the difference.

It was a pretty good show outside Boston at 90%, but yes not at all like
a total. It became visibly "mild to moderately dark", like an overcast
day. but the drop in the infrared was very noticeable.

> Surprisingly uniform and smooth corona considering how active the sun
> has been recently - I was expecting to see some streamers.
>
> They are truly awe inspiring and I can see why eclipse chasers do it.
> Everyone should see one if they possibly can. The ancients must have
> found it completely terrifying to watch the sun get eaten up in the sky.
>
> I thought about going to see this one but the seasonal weather
> predictions for the track were not so great at this time of year.
> Several of my US friends went to see it though on the main axis.

What's the best spot to see August 12, 2026? In central Spain the chance
of cloud cover is lowest, but it'll be racing the sunset and low on the
horizon.

Beach seems better but the chance of clouds will be higher. The sun will
be higher in Reykjavik but chance of clouds higher still..

Re: Re:Eclipse

<66162455$0$2909318$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136254&group=sci.electronics.design#136254

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 01:32:05 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: user@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 05:32 UTC

On 4/9/2024 6:07 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 09/04/2024 02:48, Martin Rid wrote:
>> Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> Wrote in message:r
>>> A pretty good partial eclipse is just ending here. We had about
>>> 90%obscuration here. George H should have been in the path of
>>> totality.  George?  You out there,man?Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip
>>> C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
>>> /Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog
>>> Electronics
>>
>> Was fun to watch, surprised how I noticed things getting brighter
>>   2 min after the max. Thought it take longer. And we only ha 89%
>>   percent
>
> Bit late to say it now but if you were that close to the line of
> totality it is worth travelling a few hundred miles to see a total
> eclipse. The very last 0.1% obscuration makes all the difference.

It was a pretty good show outside Boston at 90%, but yes not at all like
a total. It became visibly "mild to moderately dark", like an overcast
day. but the drop in the infrared was very noticeable.

> Surprisingly uniform and smooth corona considering how active the sun
> has been recently - I was expecting to see some streamers.
>
> They are truly awe inspiring and I can see why eclipse chasers do it.
> Everyone should see one if they possibly can. The ancients must have
> found it completely terrifying to watch the sun get eaten up in the sky.
>
> I thought about going to see this one but the seasonal weather
> predictions for the track were not so great at this time of year.
> Several of my US friends went to see it though on the main axis.

What's the best spot to see August 12, 2026? In central Spain the chance
of cloud cover is lowest, but it'll be racing the sunset and low on the
horizon.

Beach seems better but the chance of clouds will be higher. The sun will
be higher in the sky in Reykjavik, but even higher chance of clouds..

Re: Eclipse

<661629e7$2$1258338$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136256&group=sci.electronics.design#136256

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 01:55:51 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: user@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 05:55 UTC

On 4/9/2024 1:22 PM, john larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Apr 2024 11:32:25, Wanderer<dont@emailme.com> wrote:
>
>> Phil Hobbs wrote:
>>
>>> A pretty good partial eclipse is just ending here. We had about 90%
>>> obscuration here.
>>
>>> George H should have been in the path of totality. George? You out there,
>>> man?
>>
>>> Cheers
>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>>
>> I was on the edge of totality. It lasted one and half minutes. It got colder but it didn't get windy and it got darker but not dark enough to see the stars. I could see Jupiter and Venus. The sky was red along the horizon, so it looked like the eclipse was floating above the sunset.
>>
>> How many planets have intelligent life and a moon the right size and in the right orbit so that someone can see a total eclipse? Our planet is unique in the galaxy.
>
> We were all on the roof, looking at the eclipse (we got maybe 30%
> here) and we talked about that. Earth is maybe too good to be an
> accident.
>
> We're lucky that birds can fly, and water exists in three states, and
> that we can see the stars.

Just a few high cirrus outside Boston so pretty good viewing weather.

90% coverage here felt like about 35% darker in the visible, but the
temperature drop and lack of IR on the skin is very noticeable. Not sure
what the incident power has to drop to for it to seem like twilight in
visible light as compared to a sunny day, maybe 0.1% of 1000 watts/m^2?

The return of the IR doesn't feel linear either, at some point as
coverage wanes it feels like it ramps up from not much to 100% over
about 30 seconds.

Re: Re:Eclipse

<uv64uo$102qm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136264&group=sci.electronics.design#136264

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 14:41:41 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 13:41 UTC

On 09/04/2024 17:39, Crash Gordon wrote:
> On 4/9/2024 5:07 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 09/04/2024 02:48, Martin Rid wrote:
>> The very last 0.1% obscuration makes all the difference.
>> They are truly awe inspiring and I can see why eclipse chasers do it.
>> Everyone should see one if they possibly can.
>
> I traveled from the Chicago suburbs to Kansas City to see the '17
> eclipse.  Clouds kicked in about 5 minutes before totality but I got to
> see the darkness fall, cicadas started up, etc.

Bad luck. I chased across Belgium to see the 1999 one after realising
that the only chance of finding gaps in the cloud was in Luxemburg. The
clouds parted for us just enough to see totality. My friends in the UK
(and the BBC coverage) were clouded out.

> This time I stayed home.  They'd been saying we were to get 94%
> coverage, but my shadowbox images don't appear to show anything near
> that -- more like maybe 70% at most.  I could see the character of the
> sunlight got kind of gray, but that was it.

At 95+% coverage and above you start to get fun effects with shadow
bands on the ground and dappled sunlight through trees show crescents.
In the last few moments the sun behaves as a semicircular line source
and some fun transient diffraction effects happen on the ground. Seldom
observed though because most eyes are on the sun itself.

Possible to get very nasty crescent shaped retinal burns in the late
stages of an eclipse because the eye iris aperture is wide open but the
sun's photosphere is still at 6000K - just less of it.

> One of the local TV weathermen went to the center of the track, and was
> literally in tears on the air.  I thought it was neat but not neat
> enough to create emotional turmoil.  Granted I didn't experience totality.

You have to experience totality itself to understand what it is like.
Even rational scientists get very excited at their first total eclipse -
they truly are awe inspiring when the sun actually goes out completely!

We had very confused disoriented bats sat on the car bonnet afterwards.

--
Martin Brown

Re: Eclipse

<uv658e$102qm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136265&group=sci.electronics.design#136265

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 14:46:53 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 13:46 UTC

On 10/04/2024 06:36, bitrex wrote:
> On 4/9/2024 6:07 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> Was fun to watch, surprised how I noticed things getting brighter
>>>   2 min after the max. Thought it take longer. And we only ha 89%
>>>   percent
>>
>> Bit late to say it now but if you were that close to the line of
>> totality it is worth travelling a few hundred miles to see a total
>> eclipse. The very last 0.1% obscuration makes all the difference.
>
> It was a pretty good show outside Boston at 90%, but yes not at all like
> a total. It became visibly "mild to moderately dark", like an overcast
> day. but the drop in the infrared was very noticeable.

The difference between 99% and totality is literally like between night
and day (although it never gets massively dark you can see the brighter
stars and planets if you know where to look and the corona is amazing).
> What's the best spot to see August 12, 2026? In central Spain the chance
> of cloud cover is lowest, but it'll be racing the sunset and low on the
> horizon.

Spain if you like it warm. The air is cleaner in Iceland.

> Beach seems better but the chance of clouds will be higher. The sun will
> be higher in Reykjavik but chance of clouds higher still..

I think I'd probably go for Iceland. It is an amazing place to visit for
the geology and volcanoes too - some rather too active at the moment.

--
Martin Brown

Re: Eclipse

<uv677m$t1b$2@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136266&group=sci.electronics.design#136266

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:20:38 -0500
 by: Grant Taylor - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 14:20 UTC

On 4/10/24 08:46, Martin Brown wrote:
> The difference between 99% and totality is literally like between night
> and day

NASA said that my zip code was 99.1% and it was noticeably darker, much
like heavy cloud cover from storms despite the clear sky. But it was
still quite easy to drive or even read by < 1% of sunlight.

I've since read that it needs to be 99.9 ~> 100% to have significant
impact on the amount of light.

I too have seen and enjoyed the light / shadow effects on the ground
that others talked about. I experienced thousands of tiny pinhole
camera like from trees / bushes / even building awnings during the 2017
(?) eclipse.

--
Grant. . . .

Re: Eclipse

<uv67fi$t1b$3@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136267&group=sci.electronics.design#136267

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:24:50 -0500
 by: Grant Taylor - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 14:24 UTC

On 4/10/24 00:55, bitrex wrote:
> The return of the IR doesn't feel linear either, at some point as
> coverage wanes it feels like it ramps up from not much to 100% over
> about 30 seconds.

I noticed that the speed of light change was faster at apex and slower
away from the apex. I don't know how to describe mathematically much
less graph it. It almost seems like a graph of cosine where the X axis
is the percentage of light.

--
Grant. . . .

Re: Eclipse

<96kd1jd2esd7oegsmmvsufmk4ieutmit2h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136274&group=sci.electronics.design#136274

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:51:46 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 17:51 UTC

On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:20:38 -0500, Grant Taylor
<gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

>On 4/10/24 08:46, Martin Brown wrote:
>> The difference between 99% and totality is literally like between night
>> and day
>
>NASA said that my zip code was 99.1% and it was noticeably darker, much
>like heavy cloud cover from storms despite the clear sky. But it was
>still quite easy to drive or even read by < 1% of sunlight.
>
>I've since read that it needs to be 99.9 ~> 100% to have significant
>impact on the amount of light.
>
>I too have seen and enjoyed the light / shadow effects on the ground
>that others talked about. I experienced thousands of tiny pinhole
>camera like from trees / bushes / even building awnings during the 2017
>(?) eclipse.

I've only seen one total eclipse in my life and it was *awsome*
indeed. I was lucky to get into the 100% area just in time to see it
and I'll never forget it.
I'll be off to Spain in 2026 as it'll give me the chance to go around
bare-chested with my belly hanging out, get rat-arsed, eat burgers and
throw up in the street like a traditional British tourist in Spain
would do (according to the Spanish). Can't wait. ;-)

Re: Eclipse

<uvbv4u$2gllo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=136361&group=sci.electronics.design#136361

From: fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com (Tom Del Rosso)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:39:25 -0400
 by: Tom Del Rosso - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:39 UTC

Phil Hobbs wrote:
> A pretty good partial eclipse is just ending here. We had about 90%
> obscuration here.
>
> George H should have been in the path of totality. George? You out
> there, man?

For some reason no one mentioned that all the planets were lined up,
half to the left of the sun and half to the right. They were all above
the horizon except Pluto which you couldn't see anyway.

I was stuck in a building and not in the path, but if I had been in the
shadow I would have been more interested in the planets. It was a rare
oppotunity to see them on the opposite side of the sun.

--
Defund the Thought Police