"Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time." -- a coffee cup

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: Old photograph renovation

SubjectAuthor
* Old photograph renovationDavid Brooks
+* Old photograph renovationnospam
|`* Old photograph renovationDavid Brooks
| +- Old photograph renovationnospam
| `* Old photograph renovationWhisky-dave
|  `* Old photograph renovationDavid Brooks
|   `* Old photograph renovationWhisky-dave
|    `* Old photograph renovationDavid Brooks
|     `- Old photograph renovationWhisky-dave
`* Old photograph renovationDavid Brooks
 +* Old photograph renovationsobriquet
 |`* Old photograph renovationDavid Brooks
 | `* Old photograph renovationsobriquet
 |  +* Old photograph renovationsobriquet
 |  |`* Old photograph renovationDavid Brooks
 |  | `- Old photograph renovationsobriquet
 |  `- Old photograph renovationDavid Brooks
 `- Old photograph renovationgeoff

1
Re: Old photograph renovation

<170420230853164413%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14570&group=rec.photo.digital#14570

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Old photograph renovation
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 08:53:16 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 12:53 UTC

In article <J7b%L.1219319$t5W7.918182@fx13.iad>, David Brooks
<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> My sister has unearthed an old photograph of my great-granddad and his
> family. The original is damaged but she has photographed it with her
> iPad and emailed it to me.
>
> I'm wondering if, perhaps, someone reading here has the skill and time
> to make the image look 'as good as new again'.

someone probably does.

how much are you offering to pay for their skills?

> If so, how would you have me provide the image in the best format for
> carrying out such an excercise?

with a suitcase full of cash.

Re: Old photograph renovation

<fFb%L.241629$wfQc.134764@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14571&group=rec.photo.digital#14571

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:16:58 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:16 UTC

On 17/04/2023 13:53, nospam wrote:
> In article <J7b%L.1219319$t5W7.918182@fx13.iad>, David Brooks
> <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> My sister has unearthed an old photograph of my great-granddad and his
>> family. The original is damaged but she has photographed it with her
>> iPad and emailed it to me.
>>
>> I'm wondering if, perhaps, someone reading here has the skill and time
>> to make the image look 'as good as new again'.
>
> someone probably does.

Agreed.

> how much are you offering to pay for their skills?

What sum do you suggest?

>> If so, how would you have me provide the image in the best format for
>> carrying out such an excercise?
>
> with a suitcase full of cash.

You really are a silly-billy!

Educate yourself, here:-
https://blog.hubspot.com/insiders/different-types-of-image-files

Re: Old photograph renovation

<170420230947430390%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14572&group=rec.photo.digital#14572

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:47:43 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:47 UTC

In article <fFb%L.241629$wfQc.134764@fx43.iad>, David Brooks
<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> > how much are you offering to pay for their skills?
>
> What sum do you suggest?

that depends how much effort is needed, along with other factors.

ask several people for estimates and choose accordingly.

and to anyone offering: get paid *first*.

Re: Old photograph renovation

<d7fbbd1d-6806-4cc6-a71b-0fea3a05f0e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14573&group=rec.photo.digital#14573

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 08:17:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.dave@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 15:17 UTC

On Monday, 17 April 2023 at 14:17:06 UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
> On 17/04/2023 13:53, nospam wrote:
> > In article <J7b%L.1219319$t5W7....@fx13.iad>, David Brooks
> > <Dav...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> >
> >> My sister has unearthed an old photograph of my great-granddad and his
> >> family. The original is damaged but she has photographed it with her
> >> iPad and emailed it to me.
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if, perhaps, someone reading here has the skill and time
> >> to make the image look 'as good as new again'.
> >
> > someone probably does.
> Agreed.

Looking like new again is difficult .
Should it be sepia or B&W

> > how much are you offering to pay for their skills?
> What sum do you suggest?

Of course this depends on who's doing it and how long it would take.
A skilled person that does it regually might take 15mins someone else could be on it for hours or longer,
depends when you think it's good enough.

Or why not try to do it yourself. A clone brush is probably the most technical tool you need.
The rest is just like painting with a brush and adjusting brightness/contrast etc..

I'ts not difficult to have a go see how you get on.
Maybe your sister can do it herself with a bit of help it is just more like painting/drawing than a computer skill.

Photoshop can do it but is expensive if you don't use it much.
There's Affinity Photo, which can be bought for the ipad too.

> >> If so, how would you have me provide the image in the best format for
> >> carrying out such an excercise?

well it's in jpg.
So I'd save it as TFF then edit it and save all in TIFF
but PS and AF both have their own formats when saved which will include the layers editied
so later you can go back & re-do them as you get better at it.

If you get realy good you could add colours that won;t look out of place.

Trouble with doing these sorts of photos is that the first few are fun to do, then it becomes a boring chore
more so if your doing it for someone else.

> > with a suitcase full of cash.
> You really are a silly-billy!

Bitcoin or NFTs too ;-)

> Educate yourself, here:-
> https://blog.hubspot.com/insiders/different-types-of-image-files

Re: Old photograph renovation

<OEe%L.121155$qpNc.47868@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14574&group=rec.photo.digital#14574

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 17:41:17 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:41 UTC

On 17/04/2023 16:17, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Monday, 17 April 2023 at 14:17:06 UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 17/04/2023 13:53, nospam wrote:

>>> someone probably does.
>> Agreed.
>
> Looking like new again is difficult .
> Should it be sepia or B&W

It's not a colour photo!

>>> how much are you offering to pay for their skills?
>> What sum do you suggest?
>
> Of course this depends on who's doing it and how long it would take.
> A skilled person that does it regually might take 15mins someone else could be on it for hours or longer,
> depends when you think it's good enough.

Understood

> Or why not try to do it yourself. A clone brush is probably the most technical tool you need.
> The rest is just like painting with a brush and adjusting brightness/contrast etc..
>
> I'ts not difficult to have a go see how you get on.
> Maybe your sister can do it herself with a bit of help it is just more like painting/drawing than a computer skill.
>
> Photoshop can do it but is expensive if you don't use it much.
> There's Affinity Photo, which can be bought for the ipad too.

I don't really wish to purchase new software.

> well it's in jpg.
> So I'd save it as TFF then edit it and save all in TIFF
> but PS and AF both have their own formats when saved which will include the layers editied
> so later you can go back & re-do them as you get better at it.

That's really the info I was after! I now have a copy saved in TIFF format!

> If you get realy good you could add colours that won;t look out of place.
>
> Trouble with doing these sorts of photos is that the first few are fun to do, then it becomes a boring chore
> more so if your doing it for someone else.

All understood. I /have/ played around in years gone past!

>>> with a suitcase full of cash.
>> You really are a silly-billy!
>
> Bitcoin or NFTs too ;-)

Some folk think only of monetary reward.

I know folk in real-life who do things for others as an act of goodwill!

Me, for one! ;-)

>> Educate yourself, here:-
>> https://blog.hubspot.com/insiders/different-types-of-image-files

Re: Old photograph renovation

<MQe%L.2382947$vBI8.483849@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14575&group=rec.photo.digital#14575

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 17:54:04 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:54 UTC

On 17/04/2023 13:41, David Brooks wrote:
> Hi 🙂
>
> My sister has unearthed an old photograph of my great-granddad and his
> family. The original is damaged but she has photographed it with her
> iPad and emailed it to me.
>
> I'm wondering if, perhaps, someone reading here has the skill and time
> to make the image look 'as good as new again'.
>
> If so, how would you have me provide the image in the best format for
> carrying out such an excercise?
>
> Thanks in advance if someone will try.
>
> This is great-granddad:-
> https://artuk.org/discover/artists/crosby-william-18301910

The family photograph may be found here as a TIFF image:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75xx38fxg93rbde/Great%20granddad%20and%20family.tiff?dl=0

Cheers!
David

Re: Old photograph renovation

<fa1bfea1-a70a-4d2a-a14f-575cf06a487fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14576&group=rec.photo.digital#14576

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:53:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: dohduhdah@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 20:53 UTC

On Monday, April 17, 2023 at 6:54:11 PM UTC+2, David Brooks wrote:
> On 17/04/2023 13:41, David Brooks wrote:
> > Hi 🙂
> >
> > My sister has unearthed an old photograph of my great-granddad and his
> > family. The original is damaged but she has photographed it with her
> > iPad and emailed it to me.
> >
> > I'm wondering if, perhaps, someone reading here has the skill and time
> > to make the image look 'as good as new again'.
> >
> > If so, how would you have me provide the image in the best format for
> > carrying out such an excercise?
> >
> > Thanks in advance if someone will try.
> >
> > This is great-granddad:-
> > https://artuk.org/discover/artists/crosby-william-18301910
> The family photograph may be found here as a TIFF image:-
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/75xx38fxg93rbde/Great%20granddad%20and%20family..tiff?dl=0
>
> Cheers!
> David

img2go does a reasonable job to convert it from B/W to colorized.

https://www.img2go.com/

https://i.imgur.com/sFFO5Vu.jpg

With photopea.com (free online photoshop clone) you can get rid of scratches with the clone
tool or the patch tool relatively easily:

https://i.imgur.com/mwH4qfe.png

https://i.imgur.com/fEDlHh5.jpg

Re: Old photograph renovation

<Ejj%L.406999$cKvc.96009@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14577&group=rec.photo.digital#14577

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 23:00:03 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 22:00 UTC

On 17/04/2023 21:53, sobriquet wrote:
> On Monday, April 17, 2023 at 6:54:11 PM UTC+2, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 17/04/2023 13:41, David Brooks wrote:
>>> Hi 🙂
>>>
>>> My sister has unearthed an old photograph of my great-granddad and his
>>> family. The original is damaged but she has photographed it with her
>>> iPad and emailed it to me.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if, perhaps, someone reading here has the skill and time
>>> to make the image look 'as good as new again'.
>>>
>>> If so, how would you have me provide the image in the best format for
>>> carrying out such an excercise?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance if someone will try.
>>>
>>> This is great-granddad:-
>>> https://artuk.org/discover/artists/crosby-william-18301910
>> The family photograph may be found here as a TIFF image:-
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/75xx38fxg93rbde/Great%20granddad%20and%20family.tiff?dl=0
>>
>> Cheers!
>> David
>
> img2go does a reasonable job to convert it from B/W to colorized.
>
> https://www.img2go.com/

Wow! Lots to play with there. I've bookmarked the site!

> https://i.imgur.com/sFFO5Vu.jpg

Amazing transformation!

> With photopea.com (free online photoshop clone) you can get rid of
scratches with the clone
> tool or the patch tool relatively easily:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/mwH4qfe.png
>
> https://i.imgur.com/fEDlHh5.jpg

Thank you so much for your effort with this, 'sobriquet'.

I really appreciate you going the extra mile for an old man! 😉

--
David

Re: Old photograph renovation

<eb73b5e5-c53c-4f74-b6b5-7d5cc43b3569n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14578&group=rec.photo.digital#14578

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 15:37:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: dohduhdah@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 22:37 UTC

On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 12:00:15 AM UTC+2, David Brooks wrote:
> On 17/04/2023 21:53, sobriquet wrote:

> >> The family photograph may be found here as a TIFF image:-
> >>
> >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/75xx38fxg93rbde/Great%20granddad%20and%20family.tiff?dl=0
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >> David
> >
> > img2go does a reasonable job to convert it from B/W to colorized.
> >
> > https://www.img2go.com/
> Wow! Lots to play with there. I've bookmarked the site!
>
> > https://i.imgur.com/sFFO5Vu.jpg
>
> Amazing transformation!
> > With photopea.com (free online photoshop clone) you can get rid of
> scratches with the clone
> > tool or the patch tool relatively easily:
> >
> > https://i.imgur.com/mwH4qfe.png
> >
> > https://i.imgur.com/fEDlHh5.jpg
> Thank you so much for your effort with this, 'sobriquet'.
>
> I really appreciate you going the extra mile for an old man! 😉
>
> --
> David

There are AI tools that are better at automated colorization, but so far I haven't found
a good free one yet that will retain the high resolution. For instance, palette.fm does
a good job, but they charge you for full format colorization.
I think in the future this will be trivial and you can expect it for free.

https://i.imgur.com/fX3Xu59.jpg

https://petapixel.com/2022/09/27/palette-is-a-free-web-based-ai-powered-photo-colorizer/

Re: Old photograph renovation

<e5a2e6d4-431f-4660-aaab-5590b77040f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14579&group=rec.photo.digital#14579

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 15:47:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: dohduhdah@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 22:47 UTC

On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 12:37:06 AM UTC+2, sobriquet wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 12:00:15 AM UTC+2, David Brooks wrote:

> > > img2go does a reasonable job to convert it from B/W to colorized.
> > >
> > > https://www.img2go.com/
> > Wow! Lots to play with there. I've bookmarked the site!
> >
> > > https://i.imgur.com/sFFO5Vu.jpg
> >
> > Amazing transformation!
> > > With photopea.com (free online photoshop clone) you can get rid of
> > scratches with the clone
> > > tool or the patch tool relatively easily:
> > >
> > > https://i.imgur.com/mwH4qfe.png
> > >
> > > https://i.imgur.com/fEDlHh5.jpg
> > Thank you so much for your effort with this, 'sobriquet'.
> >
> > I really appreciate you going the extra mile for an old man! 😉
> >
> > --
> > David
> There are AI tools that are better at automated colorization, but so far I haven't found
> a good free one yet that will retain the high resolution. For instance, palette.fm does
> a good job, but they charge you for full format colorization.
> I think in the future this will be trivial and you can expect it for free..
>
> https://i.imgur.com/fX3Xu59.jpg
>
> https://petapixel.com/2022/09/27/palette-is-a-free-web-based-ai-powered-photo-colorizer/

One hack is to upsample the low resolution version (again a free service provided by many
websites that can be done utilizing AI) and combine that in photopea with a grayscale
version of the original to obtain a fairly good result.

https://i.imgur.com/GFo0Et4.jpg

Re: Old photograph renovation

<9WGdnbcXZIUuTKD5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14581&group=rec.photo.digital#14581

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 11:09:37 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 23:09 UTC

On 18/04/2023 4:54 am, David Brooks wrote:
> On 17/04/2023 13:41, David Brooks wrote:
>> Hi 🙂
>>
>> My sister has unearthed an old photograph of my great-granddad and his
>> family. The original is damaged but she has photographed it with her
>> iPad and emailed it to me.
>>
>> I'm wondering if, perhaps, someone reading here has the skill and time
>> to make the image look 'as good as new again'.
>>
>> If so, how would you have me provide the image in the best format for
>> carrying out such an excercise?
>>
>> Thanks in advance if someone will try.
>>
>> This is great-granddad:-
>> https://artuk.org/discover/artists/crosby-william-18301910
>
> The family photograph may be found here as a TIFF image:-
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/75xx38fxg93rbde/Great%20granddad%20and%20family.tiff?dl=0
>
> Cheers!
> David

Phew - I though thought the image had cracked my screen !

geoff

Re: Old photograph renovation

<tHr%L.2498672$GNG9.1481638@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14582&group=rec.photo.digital#14582

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 08:31:36 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 07:31 UTC

On 17/04/2023 23:37, sobriquet wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 12:00:15 AM UTC+2, David Brooks wrote:

>>> img2go does a reasonable job to convert it from B/W to colorized.
>>>
>>> https://www.img2go.com/
>> Wow! Lots to play with there. I've bookmarked the site!
>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/sFFO5Vu.jpg
>>
>> Amazing transformation!
>>> With photopea.com (free online photoshop clone) you can get rid of
>> scratches with the clone
>>> tool or the patch tool relatively easily:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/mwH4qfe.png
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/fEDlHh5.jpg
>> Thank you so much for your effort with this, 'sobriquet'.
>>
>> I really appreciate you going the extra mile for an old man! 😉
>>
>> --
>> David
>
> There are AI tools that are better at automated colorization, but so far I haven't found
> a good free one yet that will retain the high resolution. For instance, palette.fm does
> a good job, but they charge you for full format colorization.
> I think in the future this will be trivial and you can expect it for free.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/fX3Xu59.jpg
>
> https://petapixel.com/2022/09/27/palette-is-a-free-web-based-ai-powered-photo-colorizer/

I've spent far too long this morning studying this information!!!

Quite amazing!

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.

David

Re: Old photograph renovation

<5Lr%L.2498673$GNG9.1504947@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14583&group=rec.photo.digital#14583

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 08:35:29 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 07:35 UTC

On 17/04/2023 23:47, sobriquet wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 12:37:06 AM UTC+2, sobriquet wrote:

>>> Wow! Lots to play with there. I've bookmarked the site!

>>> Amazing transformation!
>>> scratches with the clone

>>> Thank you so much for your effort with this, 'sobriquet'.
>>>
>>> I really appreciate you going the extra mile for an old man! 😉
>>>
>>> --
>>> David
>> There are AI tools that are better at automated colorization, but so far I haven't found
>> a good free one yet that will retain the high resolution. For instance, palette.fm does
>> a good job, but they charge you for full format colorization.
>> I think in the future this will be trivial and you can expect it for free.
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/fX3Xu59.jpg
>>
>> https://petapixel.com/2022/09/27/palette-is-a-free-web-based-ai-powered-photo-colorizer/
>
> One hack is to upsample the low resolution version (again a free service provided by many
> websites that can be done utilizing AI) and combine that in photopea with a grayscale
> version of the original to obtain a fairly good result.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/GFo0Et4.jpg

Well done! 🙂 Methinks you must have quite enjoyed experimenting with
this image!

I'll get a better base copy the next time I travel to visit my sister.

Thanks again.

David

Re: Old photograph renovation

<3bc22c7d-2302-430f-91d3-df57285d39b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14584&group=rec.photo.digital#14584

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 02:16:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: dohduhdah@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:16 UTC

On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 9:38:06 AM UTC+2, David Brooks wrote:
> On 17/04/2023 23:47, sobriquet wrote:

> >> There are AI tools that are better at automated colorization, but so far I haven't found
> >> a good free one yet that will retain the high resolution. For instance, palette.fm does
> >> a good job, but they charge you for full format colorization.
> >> I think in the future this will be trivial and you can expect it for free.
> >>
> >> https://i.imgur.com/fX3Xu59.jpg
> >>
> >> https://petapixel.com/2022/09/27/palette-is-a-free-web-based-ai-powered-photo-colorizer/
> >
> > One hack is to upsample the low resolution version (again a free service provided by many
> > websites that can be done utilizing AI) and combine that in photopea with a grayscale
> > version of the original to obtain a fairly good result.
> >
> > https://i.imgur.com/GFo0Et4.jpg
> Well done! 🙂 Methinks you must have quite enjoyed experimenting with
> this image!
>
> I'll get a better base copy the next time I travel to visit my sister.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> David

Yeah, it's fun and interesting to see these AI developments and the interplay with
photography and art.

I've also been fascinated with the history of photography and how there is a very
gradual transition between 2D mark-making like cyanotypes, camera obscura for
photorealistic painting and full-blown color photography.

https://imgbox.com/g/uk1tgRo4Jv

Old photograph renovation

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14587&group=rec.photo.digital#14587

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Subject: Old photograph renovation
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:41:13 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 12:41 UTC

Hi 🙂

My sister has unearthed an old photograph of my great-granddad and his
family. The original is damaged but she has photographed it with her
iPad and emailed it to me.

I'm wondering if, perhaps, someone reading here has the skill and time
to make the image look 'as good as new again'.

If so, how would you have me provide the image in the best format for
carrying out such an excercise?

Thanks in advance if someone will try.

This is great-granddad:-
https://artuk.org/discover/artists/crosby-william-18301910

--
David

Re: Old photograph renovation

<63809045-6653-4eb2-9661-4df0a99a8151n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14590&group=rec.photo.digital#14590

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 05:42:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.dave@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 12:42 UTC

On Monday, 17 April 2023 at 17:41:25 UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
> On 17/04/2023 16:17, Whisky-dave wrote:

> >> Agreed.
> >
> > Looking like new again is difficult .
> > Should it be sepia or B&W
> It's not a colour photo!

Doesn't matter the subject did have colour it's just that the recording meduim used couldn't record it in colour.

Old WWI movie footage was converted to colour , which made it look more real.

People add sepia tint and scratches to make new pictures or cine feel look old and real

With old movies do those watching them think everyone walked around in a fast jittery motion in monochrome clothes
and London buses were dark grey rather than red.

> >> What sum do you suggest?
> >
> > Of course this depends on who's doing it and how long it would take.
> > A skilled person that does it regually might take 15mins someone else could be on it for hours or longer,
> > depends when you think it's good enough.
> Understood

It's difficult to do something for someone else as their expectations are fixed it;s a bit like doing a painting for someone
which photo restoration is quite similar to.

> > Or why not try to do it yourself. A clone brush is probably the most technical tool you need.
> > The rest is just like painting with a brush and adjusting brightness/contrast etc..
> >
> > I'ts not difficult to have a go see how you get on.
> > Maybe your sister can do it herself with a bit of help it is just more like painting/drawing than a computer skill.
> >
> > Photoshop can do it but is expensive if you don't use it much.
> > There's Affinity Photo, which can be bought for the ipad too.
> I don't really wish to purchase new software.

Depending what existing software you have, with skill I've seen some amazing photo real pictures drawn with pencil.

Your sister did a good painting of Jesus even though she'd never met him or seen a photo of him,
so I reckon she could do a reasonable job of copying a black & white photo and enhancing the bits that need it etc :-)

> > well it's in jpg.
> > So I'd save it as TFF then edit it and save all in TIFF
> > but PS and AF both have their own formats when saved which will include the layers editied
> > so later you can go back & re-do them as you get better at it.
> That's really the info I was after! I now have a copy saved in TIFF format!
> > If you get realy good you could add colours that won;t look out of place.
> >
> > Trouble with doing these sorts of photos is that the first few are fun to do, then it becomes a boring chore
> > more so if your doing it for someone else.
> All understood. I /have/ played around in years gone past!

Time to refresh the playing around.

> >> You really are a silly-billy!
> >
> > Bitcoin or NFTs too ;-)
> Some folk think only of monetary reward.

Took my cat to the vets for a checkup yesterday 10mins in there and £101 bill.

> I know folk in real-life who do things for others as an act of goodwill!

And usaully for close friends or family or they get something else in exchange
amnd it depends on exactly what's expected and how long it takes.

Maybe when I retire and have time for myself, at the moment my free time or rather creative time
is being spent on 3D printing (not photographic 3D)

> Me, for one! ;-)

Well maybe you have lots of spare time.

> >> Educate yourself, here:-
> >> https://blog.hubspot.com/insiders/different-types-of-image-files

Re: Old photograph renovation

<M%T%L.2121282$iS99.233830@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14591&group=rec.photo.digital#14591

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 16:44:44 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:44 UTC

On 19/04/2023 13:42, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Monday, 17 April 2023 at 17:41:25 UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:

>>> Looking like new again is difficult .
>>> Should it be sepia or B&W
>> It's not a colour photo!
>
> Doesn't matter the subject did have colour it's just that the recording meduim used couldn't record it in colour.

True!

> Old WWI movie footage was converted to colour , which made it look more real.

It does!

> People add sepia tint and scratches to make new pictures or cine feel look old and real

Trickery!

> With old movies do those watching them think everyone walked around in a fast jittery motion in monochrome clothes
> and London buses were dark grey rather than red.

No - but I'll tell you a story later!

>>> Of course this depends on who's doing it and how long it would take.
>>> A skilled person that does it regually might take 15mins someone else could be on it for hours or longer,
>>> depends when you think it's good enough.
>> Understood
>
> It's difficult to do something for someone else as their expectations are fixed it;s a bit like doing a painting for someone
> which photo restoration is quite similar to.

I really do understand that.

>>> Or why not try to do it yourself. A clone brush is probably the most technical tool you need.
>>> The rest is just like painting with a brush and adjusting brightness/contrast etc..
>>>
>>> I'ts not difficult to have a go see how you get on.
>>> Maybe your sister can do it herself with a bit of help it is just more like painting/drawing than a computer skill.
>>>
>>> Photoshop can do it but is expensive if you don't use it much.
>>> There's Affinity Photo, which can be bought for the ipad too.
>> I don't really wish to purchase new software.
>
> Depending what existing software you have, with skill I've seen some amazing photo real pictures drawn with pencil.

My mother was very good at that!

> Your sister did a good painting of Jesus even though she'd never met him or seen a photo of him,
> so I reckon she could do a reasonable job of copying a black & white photo and enhancing the bits that need it etc :-)

I will pass on your kind words. :-D

>>> well it's in jpg.
>>> So I'd save it as TFF then edit it and save all in TIFF
>>> but PS and AF both have their own formats when saved which will include the layers editied
>>> so later you can go back & re-do them as you get better at it.
>> That's really the info I was after! I now have a copy saved in TIFF format!
>>> If you get realy good you could add colours that won;t look out of place.
>>>
>>> Trouble with doing these sorts of photos is that the first few are fun to do, then it becomes a boring chore
>>> more so if your doing it for someone else.
>> All understood. I /have/ played around in years gone past!
>
> Time to refresh the playing around.

Ha! :-D

>>> Bitcoin or NFTs too ;-)
>> Some folk think only of monetary reward.
>
> Took my cat to the vets for a checkup yesterday 10mins in there and £101 bill.

That's what helps pay for the many years of training undertaken by the vet.
Painful for you though. I hope your cat is fit and well.

>> I know folk in real-life who do things for others as an act of goodwill!
>
> And usaully for close friends or family or they get something else in exchange
> amnd it depends on exactly what's expected and how long it takes.

Usually. I gave some advice to an elderly lady I met in our doctor's
practice this morning!

> Maybe when I retire and have time for myself, at the moment my free time or rather creative time
> is being spent on 3D printing (not photographic 3D)

That sounds like fun. What are you making?

>> Me, for one! ;-)
>
> Well maybe you have lots of spare time.

I'm lucky. VERY lucky. I stopped working for a living in April 1999! :-D

D.

Re: Old photograph renovation

<93227811-94d7-47a4-9bf4-72512e94af57n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14593&group=rec.photo.digital#14593

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 04:16:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.dave@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:16 UTC

On Wednesday, 19 April 2023 at 16:44:51 UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
> On 19/04/2023 13:42, Whisky-dave wrote:

> >> It's not a colour photo!
> >
> > Doesn't matter the subject did have colour it's just that the recording meduim used couldn't record it in colour.
> True!
> > Old WWI movie footage was converted to colour , which made it look more real.
> It does!
> > People add sepia tint and scratches to make new pictures or cine feel look old and real
> Trickery!

Depends why it's done doesn't it ?
I watched the classic film the Ten Commandments last week quite impressive for the time.
I remember seeing it at the cinema with my mum in the 1960s.
I fell asleep but she woke me up for the parting of the red sea.
Lots of Trickery in that film ;-)
I haven't done such a thing since the beginning of the month. :-)

I had to edit the label out of the picture below
https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/52830806186/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/52831207485/in/dateposted-public/

> > With old movies do those watching them think everyone walked around in a fast jittery motion in monochrome clothes
> > and London buses were dark grey rather than red.
> No - but I'll tell you a story later!

But it's the impression you get is an old film will be in B&W it's as if colour and smooth motion didn't exist.

> >> Understood
> >
> > It's difficult to do something for someone else as their expectations are fixed it;s a bit like doing a painting for someone
> > which photo restoration is quite similar to.
> I really do understand that.

> >> I don't really wish to purchase new software.
> >
> > Depending what existing software you have, with skill I've seen some amazing photo real pictures drawn with pencil.
> My mother was very good at that!

when I joined a camera club there was an elderly lady who worked at a photographic printers company
in London called Nerverna van-dyke or similar name that took photos of royalty and film stars in I think the 40s to 60s
she used to colour them in and also remove spots and blemishes from photos to order.

> > Your sister did a good painting of Jesus even though she'd never met him or seen a photo of him,
> > so I reckon she could do a reasonable job of copying a black & white photo and enhancing the bits that need it etc :-)
> I will pass on your kind words. :-D

> >> That's really the info I was after! I now have a copy saved in TIFF format!

> >> All understood. I /have/ played around in years gone past!
> >
> > Time to refresh the playing around.
> Ha! :-D

> >> Some folk think only of monetary reward.
> >
> > Took my cat to the vets for a checkup yesterday 10mins in there and £101 bill.
> That's what helps pay for the many years of training undertaken by the vet.

Yes I understand the reasons, then there's the premises, staffing , drugs etc...
We seem to forget these things when we get 'free' health care via the NHS
> Painful for you though. I hope your cat is fit and well.

Yes thanks, had a microchip fitted, but not the sort that I can remote controll her with ;-)

> >> I know folk in real-life who do things for others as an act of goodwill!
> >
> > And usaully for close friends or family or they get something else in exchange
> > amnd it depends on exactly what's expected and how long it takes.
> Usually. I gave some advice to an elderly lady I met in our doctor's
> practice this morning!

Advice is usually quick and easy, just hope it's correct.

> > Maybe when I retire and have time for myself, at the moment my free time or rather creative time
> > is being spent on 3D printing (not photographic 3D)
> That sounds like fun. What are you making?

Did a sort of 2inch wide channel that water flows down back into my pond .
Other bits and pieces of stuff, finshed my cat litter scooper at the weekend.

At work a holder for unltrasonic transducers HC-SR04 for the students so they can more easily mount them on robots and stuff.
Some holders for drill bits 1.5mm to 6.5mm so you can hand drill the materials in the lab without having to use hand/electric drills .

> >> Me, for one! ;-)
> >
> > Well maybe you have lots of spare time.
> I'm lucky. VERY lucky. I stopped working for a living in April 1999! :-D

Wow , I'm hoping I can think off enough things to do to keep me busy when I retire.