"Pascal is Pascal is Pascal is dog meat." -- M. Devine and P. Larson, Computer Science 340

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: UseNet Health Check

SubjectAuthor
* UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
+* UseNet Health Checkcroy
|+- UseNet Health CheckDavid Taylor
|`- UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
`* UseNet Health CheckFishrrman
 +- UseNet Health Checkgeoff
 `* UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
  `* UseNet Health CheckMagani
   `* UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
    `* UseNet Health CheckMagani
     `* UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
      `* UseNet Health CheckMagani
       `* UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
        `* UseNet Health CheckMagani
         `* UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
          `* UseNet Health CheckMagani
           `- UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks

1
Re: UseNet Health Check

<mn5MM.18905$i1yc.16868@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14635&group=rec.photo.digital#14635

Subject: Re: UseNet Health Check
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.computer.workshop
From: BDB@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 23:12:33 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 22:12 UTC

On 22/07/2022 07:34, Savageduck wrote:
> Since my break from r.p.d. and UseNet I thought I would check in to see the
> condition of the NGs I usually subscribe to. Everything I see validates my
> decision to no longer participate in the shit show that UseNet has become.
> I seriously doubt that things will ever improve while the cross posting
> trolls, and flame warriors continue to ruin what was once a useful forum.
>
> I might check in again sometime in the future, but I suspect that will be
> pointless.

You've simply become a grumpy old man, 'Savageduck'! :-P

I have watched each and every drone video which you've flown - and
thoroughly enjoyed all of them! 🙂

For other folk who may wish to see what you have been up to, they can
find you here:- https://www.youtube.com/@leonardoglesby1730

To date: 172 subscribers 118 videos

--
David

Re: UseNet Health Check

<crl3gi10ajdee2dkamgta66d9sbt9h1an5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14638&group=rec.photo.digital#14638

From: croy@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 08:41:35 -0700
 by: croy - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:41 UTC

On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 23:12:33 +0100, David Brooks <BDB@invalid.invalid.uk> wrote:

>On 22/07/2022 07:34, Savageduck wrote:
>> Since my break from r.p.d. and UseNet I thought I would check in to see the
>> condition of the NGs I usually subscribe to. Everything I see validates my
>> decision to no longer participate in the shit show that UseNet has become.
>> I seriously doubt that things will ever improve while the cross posting
>> trolls, and flame warriors continue to ruin what was once a useful forum.
>>
>> I might check in again sometime in the future, but I suspect that will be
>> pointless.
>
>You've simply become a grumpy old man, 'Savageduck'! :-P
>
>I have watched each and every drone video which you've flown - and
>thoroughly enjoyed all of them! 🙂
>
>For other folk who may wish to see what you have been up to, they can
>find you here:- https://www.youtube.com/@leonardoglesby1730
>
>To date: 172 subscribers 118 videos

A big "thank you" to David Brooks for putting me on the trail of Savageduck. I was sad to see
him vanish from the rec.photo.digital group, and sorely missed his drone footage postings.

--
croy

Re: UseNet Health Check

<udss12$206pu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14639&group=rec.photo.digital#14639

From: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 18:37:38 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:37 UTC

On 13/09/2023 16:41, croy wrote:
> A big "thank you" to David Brooks for putting me on the trail of Savageduck. I was sad to see
> him vanish from the rec.photo.digital group, and sorely missed his drone footage postings.

Same here - would love to see him back!
--
Cheers,
David

Re: UseNet Health Check

<udt71q$29gj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14640&group=rec.photo.digital#14640

From: Fishrrman2000@yahoo.com (Fishrrman)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:45:44 -0400
 by: Fishrrman - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:45 UTC

On 9/12/23 6:12 PM, David Brooks wrote:
> On 22/07/2022 07:34, Savageduck wrote:
>> Since my break from r.p.d. and UseNet I thought I would
>> check in to see the
>> condition of the NGs I usually subscribe to. Everything I
>> see validates my
>> decision to no longer participate in the shit show that
>> UseNet has become.

The usenet news groups are slowly fading away.

I sense that most of those who still read and post to them
are getting old, and will soon be gone as well.

Even the binary groups (such as
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.yourfavoritegenre) aren't seeing
much in the way of traffic any more. Some go for weeks,
months, without a post.

A sign of the changing times.
Usenet will live on, but in a declining and perhaps
(finally) a "state of suspension".
Until the servers are simply switched off...

Re: UseNet Health Check

<vaOdndls78KgtZ_4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14641&group=rec.photo.digital#14641

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 09:23:08 +1200
 by: geoff - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 21:23 UTC

On 14/09/2023 8:45 AM, Fishrrman wrote:
> On 9/12/23 6:12 PM, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 22/07/2022 07:34, Savageduck wrote:
>>> Since my break from r.p.d. and UseNet I thought I would check in to
>>> see the
>>> condition of the NGs I usually subscribe to. Everything I see
>>> validates my
>>> decision to no longer participate in the shit show that UseNet has
>>> become.
>
> The usenet news groups are slowly fading away.
>
> I sense that most of those who still read and post to them are getting
> old, and will soon be gone as well.
>
> Even the binary groups (such as
> alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.yourfavoritegenre) aren't seeing much in the way
> of traffic any more. Some go for weeks, months, without a post.
>
> A sign of the changing times.
> Usenet will live on, but in a declining and perhaps (finally) a "state
> of suspension".
> Until the servers are simply switched off...

Has been the situation for a decade at least, but seeming now at an
increasing rate ....

geoff

Re: UseNet Health Check

<xLyMM.3188$H0Ge.2503@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14642&group=rec.photo.digital#14642

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: BDB@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:38:05 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 07:38 UTC

On 13/09/2023 21:45, Fishrrman wrote:
> On 9/12/23 6:12 PM, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 22/07/2022 07:34, Savageduck wrote:
>>> Since my break from r.p.d. and UseNet I thought I would check in to
>>> see the
>>> condition of the NGs I usually subscribe to. Everything I see
>>> validates my
>>> decision to no longer participate in the shit show that UseNet has
>>> become.
>
> The usenet news groups are slowly fading away.
>
> I sense that most of those who still read and post to them are getting
> old, and will soon be gone as well.
>
> Even the binary groups (such as
> alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.yourfavoritegenre) aren't seeing much in the way
> of traffic any more. Some go for weeks, months, without a post.
>
> A sign of the changing times.
> Usenet will live on, but in a declining and perhaps (finally) a "state
> of suspension".
> Until the servers are simply switched off...

Off Topic now ........

I'm sure it cannot be a coincidence that a "Fishrrman" also posts on
MacRumors, so I'm going a ask a favour!

I enjoyed posting on MacRumors as "Brawdy14", but you will note that I
am now "Suspended".

Are you sufficiently brave to post a question on MacRumors asking *WHY*
"Brawdy14" has been suspended - and, if you get an answer, ask for me to
be reinstated?

"Brawdy14" was my call-sign when I was learning to fly Hawker Hunters at
what was, then, RNAS Brawdy near Haverfordwest in South West Wales. I
later finished my naval career at RNAS Culdrose, Helston, not far from
your apparent home in Penryn!

Thanks for listening!

--
David

Re: UseNet Health Check

<oTyMM.3189$H0Ge.1168@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14643&group=rec.photo.digital#14643

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: BDB@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:46:28 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 07:46 UTC

On 13/09/2023 16:41, croy wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 23:12:33 +0100, David Brooks <BDB@invalid.invalid.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 22/07/2022 07:34, Savageduck wrote:
>>> Since my break from r.p.d. and UseNet I thought I would check in to see the
>>> condition of the NGs I usually subscribe to. Everything I see validates my
>>> decision to no longer participate in the shit show that UseNet has become.
>>> I seriously doubt that things will ever improve while the cross posting
>>> trolls, and flame warriors continue to ruin what was once a useful forum.
>>>
>>> I might check in again sometime in the future, but I suspect that will be
>>> pointless.
>>
>> You've simply become a grumpy old man, 'Savageduck'! :-P
>>
>> I have watched each and every drone video which you've flown - and
>> thoroughly enjoyed all of them! 🙂
>>
>> For other folk who may wish to see what you have been up to, they can
>> find you here:- https://www.youtube.com/@leonardoglesby1730
>>
>> To date: 172 subscribers 118 videos
>
> A big "thank you" to David Brooks for putting me on the trail of Savageduck. I was sad to see
> him vanish from the rec.photo.digital group, and sorely missed his drone footage postings.

You are most welcome, 'croy'.

I fear it was my fault that he left in the first place. I'm confident
that I did post an apology to him at one stage, but he never responded.

--
David

Re: UseNet Health Check

<a92c070d-460e-4504-b8f2-fe0f8e790210n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14644&group=rec.photo.digital#14644

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 02:58:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: cdsross@gmail.com (Magani)
 by: Magani - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 09:58 UTC

On Thursday, 14 September 2023 at 5:38:13 pm UTC+10, David Brooks wrote:
> On 13/09/2023 21:45, Fishrrman wrote:
> >
> > The usenet news groups are slowly fading away.
> >
> > I sense that most of those who still read and post to them are getting
> > old, and will soon be gone as well.
> >
> > Even the binary groups (such as
> > alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.yourfavoritegenre) aren't seeing much in the way
> > of traffic any more. Some go for weeks, months, without a post.
> >
> > A sign of the changing times.
> > Usenet will live on, but in a declining and perhaps (finally) a "state
> > of suspension".
> > Until the servers are simply switched off...
> Off Topic now ........
>
> I'm sure it cannot be a coincidence that a "Fishrrman" also posts on
> MacRumors, so I'm going a ask a favour!
>
> I enjoyed posting on MacRumors as "Brawdy14", but you will note that I
> am now "Suspended".
>
> Are you sufficiently brave to post a question on MacRumors asking *WHY*
> "Brawdy14" has been suspended - and, if you get an answer, ask for me to
> be reinstated?
>
> "Brawdy14" was my call-sign when I was learning to fly Hawker Hunters at
> what was, then, RNAS Brawdy near Haverfordwest in South West Wales. I
> later finished my naval career at RNAS Culdrose, Helston, not far from
> your apparent home in Penryn!
>
> Thanks for listening!
>
> --
> David

Things you find on the InterTubes - I never knew the FAA flew Hunters. Is there one in the museum at Yeovilton?

Cheers,
Magani (obviously failed aviation nerd)

Re: UseNet Health Check

<phBMM.30811$i1yc.17599@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14646&group=rec.photo.digital#14646

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: BDB@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 11:30:44 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 10:30 UTC

On 14/09/2023 10:58, Magani wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 September 2023 at 5:38:13 pm UTC+10, David Brooks wrote:
>>>
>>> The usenet news groups are slowly fading away.
>>>
>>> I sense that most of those who still read and post to them are getting
>>> old, and will soon be gone as well.
>>>
>>> Even the binary groups (such as
>>> alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.yourfavoritegenre) aren't seeing much in the way
>>> of traffic any more. Some go for weeks, months, without a post.
>>>
>>> A sign of the changing times.
>>> Usenet will live on, but in a declining and perhaps (finally) a "state
>>> of suspension".
>>> Until the servers are simply switched off...
>> Off Topic now ........
>>
>> I'm sure it cannot be a coincidence that a "Fishrrman" also posts on
>> MacRumors, so I'm going a ask a favour!
>>
>> I enjoyed posting on MacRumors as "Brawdy14", but you will note that I
>> am now "Suspended".
>>
>> Are you sufficiently brave to post a question on MacRumors asking *WHY*
>> "Brawdy14" has been suspended - and, if you get an answer, ask for me to
>> be reinstated?
>>
>> "Brawdy14" was my call-sign when I was learning to fly Hawker Hunters at
>> what was, then, RNAS Brawdy near Haverfordwest in South West Wales. I
>> later finished my naval career at RNAS Culdrose, Helston, not far from
>> your apparent home in Penryn!
>>
>> Thanks for listening!
>>
>> --
>> David
>
> Things you find on the InterTubes - I never knew the FAA flew Hunters. Is there one in the museum at Yeovilton?
>
> Cheers,
> Magani (obviously failed aviation nerd)

Yes - apparently there is!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Air_Arm_Museum#/media/File:Fleet_Air_Arm_Museum_hall_4.JPG

I believe there's also a Buccaneer - but not like this one!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Buccaneer#/media/File:Blackburn_Buccaneer_Blcackburn_Buccaneer_(16525773894).jpg

I flew one of those too - but not for long! There were *NO* dual control
versions!

Would you care to share YOUR flying experience?

--
David

Re: UseNet Health Check

<1f133f7a-9a6a-41f3-a7c7-50d35f4f2847n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14647&group=rec.photo.digital#14647

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 04:52:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: cdsross@gmail.com (Magani)
 by: Magani - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 11:52 UTC

On Thursday, 14 September 2023 at 8:30:52 pm UTC+10, David Brooks wrote:
> On 14/09/2023 10:58, Magani wrote:

> >> Off Topic now ........
> >>
> >> I'm sure it cannot be a coincidence that a "Fishrrman" also posts on
> >> MacRumors, so I'm going a ask a favour!
> >>
> >> I enjoyed posting on MacRumors as "Brawdy14", but you will note that I
> >> am now "Suspended".
> >>
> >> Are you sufficiently brave to post a question on MacRumors asking *WHY*
> >> "Brawdy14" has been suspended - and, if you get an answer, ask for me to
> >> be reinstated?
> >>
> >> "Brawdy14" was my call-sign when I was learning to fly Hawker Hunters at
> >> what was, then, RNAS Brawdy near Haverfordwest in South West Wales. I
> >> later finished my naval career at RNAS Culdrose, Helston, not far from
> >> your apparent home in Penryn!
> >>
> >> Thanks for listening!
> >>
> >> --
> >> David
> >
> > Things you find on the InterTubes - I never knew the FAA flew Hunters. Is there one in the museum at Yeovilton?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Magani (obviously failed aviation nerd)
> Yes - apparently there is!
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Air_Arm_Museum#/media/File:Fleet_Air_Arm_Museum_hall_4.JPG
>
> I believe there's also a Buccaneer - but not like this one!
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Buccaneer#/media/File:Blackburn_Buccaneer_Blcackburn_Buccaneer_(16525773894).jpg
>
> I flew one of those too - but not for long! There were *NO* dual control
> versions!
>
> Would you care to share YOUR flying experience?
>
> --
> David

Very limited.
Total in the log - 5hrs dual in a Victa Airtourer 100 while starting to go for my PPL.
Total (VERY unofficial) - probably about 20~30 hours in a variety of Cessnas (172, 182 and 206), the odd Cherokee and Comanche, and 30 minutes in an F27.

Most of my aviation career was spent telling pilots where to go from either a glass box, or in a dim room looking into a CRT, in various parts of Oz, the Pacific and the Middle East. :-))

After about 25 years of that, I slid sideways into IT (mainly stopping small to medium businesses from trying to run their enterprises on macros in undocumented Excel s/sheets).

Life's been good, but retirement's been better. :-)

Cheers,
Magani

Re: UseNet Health Check

<tpEMM.194$3lL1.173@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14649&group=rec.photo.digital#14649

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: BDB@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:04:09 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:04 UTC

On 14/09/2023 12:52, Magani wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 September 2023 at 8:30:52 pm UTC+10, David Brooks wrote:

>>> Things you find on the InterTubes - I never knew the FAA flew Hunters. Is there one in the museum at Yeovilton?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Magani (obviously failed aviation nerd)
>> Yes - apparently there is!
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Air_Arm_Museum#/media/File:Fleet_Air_Arm_Museum_hall_4.JPG
>>
>> I believe there's also a Buccaneer - but not like this one!
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Buccaneer#/media/File:Blackburn_Buccaneer_Blcackburn_Buccaneer_(16525773894).jpg
>>
>> I flew one of those too - but not for long! There were *NO* dual control
>> versions!
>>
>> Would you care to share YOUR flying experience?
>>
>> --
>> David
>
> Very limited.
> Total in the log - 5hrs dual in a Victa Airtourer 100 while starting to go for my PPL.
> Total (VERY unofficial) - probably about 20~30 hours in a variety of Cessnas (172, 182 and 206), the odd Cherokee and Comanche, and 30 minutes in an F27.

Thanks!

Better to have flow a bit than never to have flown at all! ;-)

> Most of my aviation career was spent telling pilots where to go from either a glass box, or in a dim room looking into a CRT, in various parts of Oz, the Pacific and the Middle East. :-))

Mine too! I was an ATCO when stationed at HMAS Albatross - the RANAS at
Nowra NSW 1987-89

> After about 25 years of that, I slid sideways into IT (mainly stopping small to medium businesses from trying to run their enterprises on macros in undocumented Excel s/sheets).

As you did that, I became an IFA!

> Life's been good, but retirement's been better. :-)

I couldn't agree more! :-D

--
David

Re: UseNet Health Check

<ff8b330a-7815-4928-97f6-3c6c44442498n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14653&group=rec.photo.digital#14653

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:41:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: cdsross@gmail.com (Magani)
 by: Magani - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 21:41 UTC

On Friday, 15 September 2023 at 12:04:17 am UTC+10, David Brooks wrote:
> On 14/09/2023 12:52, Magani wrote:

> >> Yes - apparently there is!
> >>
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Air_Arm_Museum#/media/File:Fleet_Air_Arm_Museum_hall_4.JPG
> >>
> >> I believe there's also a Buccaneer - but not like this one!
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Buccaneer#/media/File:Blackburn_Buccaneer_Blcackburn_Buccaneer_(16525773894).jpg
> >>
> >> I flew one of those too - but not for long! There were *NO* dual control
> >> versions!
> >>
> >> Would you care to share YOUR flying experience?
> >>
> >> --
> >> David
> >
> > Very limited.
> > Total in the log - 5hrs dual in a Victa Airtourer 100 while starting to go for my PPL.
> > Total (VERY unofficial) - probably about 20~30 hours in a variety of Cessnas (172, 182 and 206), the odd Cherokee and Comanche, and 30 minutes in an F27.
> Thanks!
>
> Better to have flow a bit than never to have flown at all! ;-)
> > Most of my aviation career was spent telling pilots where to go from either a glass box, or in a dim room looking into a CRT, in various parts of Oz, the Pacific and the Middle East. :-))
> Mine too! I was an ATCO when stationed at HMAS Albatross - the RANAS at
> Nowra NSW 1987-89
> > After about 25 years of that, I slid sideways into IT (mainly stopping small to medium businesses from trying to run their enterprises on macros in undocumented Excel s/sheets).
> As you did that, I became an IFA!
> > Life's been good, but retirement's been better. :-)
> I couldn't agree more! :-D
>
> > Cheers,
> > Magani
>
> --
> David
What a small world!!

Cheers,
Magani (YBBN, YBMK, NFFN, OOMS)

Re: UseNet Health Check

<M23NM.19618$Yxl8.10142@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14661&group=rec.photo.digital#14661

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: BDB@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 21:23:08 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 20:23 UTC

On 14/09/2023 22:41, Magani wrote:
> What a small world!! Cheers, Magani

(YBBN, YBMK, NFFN, OOMS)

In exchange for you telling me what those abbreviations stand for, I'll
give you this priceless item:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqm73DLtwD0

--
David

Re: UseNet Health Check

<a1abe1bd-7bc1-46f1-a3da-057b6337a6e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14662&group=rec.photo.digital#14662

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:20:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: cdsross@gmail.com (Magani)
 by: Magani - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 01:20 UTC

On Saturday, 16 September 2023 at 6:23:16 am UTC+10, David Brooks wrote:
> On 14/09/2023 22:41, Magani wrote:
> > What a small world!! Cheers, Magani
>
> (YBBN, YBMK, NFFN, OOMS)
> In exchange for you telling me what those abbreviations stand for, I'll
> give you this priceless item:-
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqm73DLtwD0
>
> --
> David

That after-dinner speech is a real classic. I stil get a chuckle out of it..

Rather than give the abreviations away straight up, here's a couple of hints.
1) They are ICAO (not IATA) codes for airports. They're the towers/centres where I've spent most of my time telling pilots where to go. :-)
2) 1st letter is the area of the world, 2nd is the FIR, sub-region within that area or country, 3rd and 4th are the actual airport.
3) In the 1st example YBBN: Y = Australia, B = Brisbane FIR, BN = Brisbane.

Also, I left 2 out (YSCB and YBCG - both only temporary)

Cheers,
Magani

Re: UseNet Health Check

<biiNM.50907$QShe.41873@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14666&group=rec.photo.digital#14666

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
<mn5MM.18905$i1yc.16868@fx15.iad> <udt71q$29gj4$1@dont-email.me>
From: BDB@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 14:43:35 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 13:43 UTC

On 16/09/2023 02:20, Magani wrote:
> On Saturday, 16 September 2023 at 6:23:16 am UTC+10, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 14/09/2023 22:41, Magani wrote:
>>> What a small world!! Cheers, Magani
>>
>> (YBBN, YBMK, NFFN, OOMS)
>> In exchange for you telling me what those abbreviations stand for, I'll
>> give you this priceless item:-
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqm73DLtwD0
>>
>> --
>> David
>
> That after-dinner speech is a real classic. I stil get a chuckle out of it.
>
> Rather than give the abreviations away straight up, here's a couple of hints.
> 1) They are ICAO (not IATA) codes for airports. They're the towers/centres where I've spent most of my time telling pilots where to go. :-)
> 2) 1st letter is the area of the world, 2nd is the FIR, sub-region within that area or country, 3rd and 4th are the actual airport.
> 3) In the 1st example YBBN: Y = Australia, B = Brisbane FIR, BN = Brisbane.
>
> Also, I left 2 out (YSCB and YBCG - both only temporary)

Thanks, Magani

I thought that might have been the case. I've now looked and note that
you've enjoyed living in pretty warm locations! :-D

Once I worked with an RAAF ATC officer who told me he'd cleared an
aircraft to fly VFR below 500ft from Brisbane to Sydney (example names,
I can't remember now)). The pilot complied.

Later the controller discovered that it was actually a Boing 747!

--
David

Re: UseNet Health Check

<2d6f686f-6bff-4dce-9fcc-d4439023b8dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14673&group=rec.photo.digital#14673

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 04:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: cdsross@gmail.com (Magani)
 by: Magani - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 11:43 UTC

On Saturday, 16 September 2023 at 11:43:44 pm UTC+10, David Brooks wrote:
> On 16/09/2023 02:20, Magani wrote:
> >>
> >> (YBBN, YBMK, NFFN, OOMS)
> >> In exchange for you telling me what those abbreviations stand for, I'll
> >> give you this priceless item:-
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqm73DLtwD0
> >>
> >> --
> >> David
> >
> > That after-dinner speech is a real classic. I stil get a chuckle out of it.
> >
> > Rather than give the abreviations away straight up, here's a couple of hints.
> > 1) They are ICAO (not IATA) codes for airports. They're the towers/centres where I've spent most of my time telling pilots where to go. :-)
> > 2) 1st letter is the area of the world, 2nd is the FIR, sub-region within that area or country, 3rd and 4th are the actual airport.
> > 3) In the 1st example YBBN: Y = Australia, B = Brisbane FIR, BN = Brisbane.
> >
> > Also, I left 2 out (YSCB and YBCG - both only temporary)
> Thanks, Magani
>
> I thought that might have been the case. I've now looked and note that
> you've enjoyed living in pretty warm locations! :-D
>
> Once I worked with an RAAF ATC officer who told me he'd cleared an
> aircraft to fly VFR below 500ft from Brisbane to Sydney (example names,
> I can't remember now)). The pilot complied.
>
> Later the controller discovered that it was actually a Boing 747!
>
> --
> David

One of the 'old and bold' ATCOs here in Brisbane once asked an F-111 for his 'best speed downwind for sequencing'. The pilot's reply: ' Do you REALLY want that?' :-)
For the non-aviation fraternity out there, an F-111 had a top speed higher than Concorde and would have broken a stack of windows as he went through the sound barrier.

Re the 'warm locations', NFFN was beautiful - our house was about 50 yards from the beach. 28-ish all year round. In OOMS, when it was 45C and sticky on the coast, it was generally about mid to high 20s at 8000' up in the mountains and a lot less humidity. As for Qld, as they used to say in the ads, 'Beautiful one day, perfect the next...'. The ad writers had obviously never lived through a cyclone in Nth Qld or the hordes of mosquitoes in the Gulf Country. :-)

Cheers,
Magani

Re: UseNet Health Check

<9iKNM.53061$8XGa.1866@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=14674&group=rec.photo.digital#14674

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: BDB@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 22:35:01 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 21:35 UTC

On 17/09/2023 12:43, Magani wrote:
> On Saturday, 16 September 2023 at 11:43:44 pm UTC+10, David Brooks wrote:

>>> That after-dinner speech is a real classic. I stil get a chuckle out of it.
>>>
>>> Rather than give the abreviations away straight up, here's a couple of hints.
>>> 1) They are ICAO (not IATA) codes for airports. They're the towers/centres where I've spent most of my time telling pilots where to go. :-)
>>> 2) 1st letter is the area of the world, 2nd is the FIR, sub-region within that area or country, 3rd and 4th are the actual airport.
>>> 3) In the 1st example YBBN: Y = Australia, B = Brisbane FIR, BN = Brisbane.
>>>
>>> Also, I left 2 out (YSCB and YBCG - both only temporary)
>> Thanks, Magani
>>
>> I thought that might have been the case. I've now looked and note that
>> you've enjoyed living in pretty warm locations! :-D
>>
>> Once I worked with an RAAF ATC officer who told me he'd cleared an
>> aircraft to fly VFR below 500ft from Brisbane to Sydney (example names,
>> I can't remember now)). The pilot complied.
>>
>> Later the controller discovered that it was actually a Boing 747!
>>
>> --
>> David
>
> One of the 'old and bold' ATCOs here in Brisbane once asked an F-111 for his 'best speed downwind for sequencing'. The pilot's reply: ' Do you REALLY want that?' :-)
> For the non-aviation fraternity out there, an F-111 had a top speed higher than Concorde and would have broken a stack of windows as he went through the sound barrier.

Indeed! :-D

> Re the 'warm locations', NFFN was beautiful - our house was about 50 yards from the beach. 28-ish all year round. In OOMS, when it was 45C and sticky on the coast, it was generally about mid to high 20s at 8000' up in the mountains and a lot less humidity. As for Qld, as they used to say in the ads, 'Beautiful one day, perfect the next...'. The ad writers had obviously never lived through a cyclone in Nth Qld or the hordes of mosquitoes in the Gulf Country. :-)

Thanks for chatting! :-)

FYI:-
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/southwest-father-son-pilot-childhood-photo-recreated/index.html