From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Google bails out of usenet. No money in it for them.
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 22:16:21 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 02:16 UTC

Rich <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote

> Heh, heh. They blamed spam in-part for their bail-out. Before the spam, they were a fairly efficient mechanism for posting, even without filtration. But, being money-driven, usenet didn't do it for them.
>
> Effective from 15 February 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today.

We have been discussing this issue at length in the peering newsgroup:
*Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new
Usenet content*
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/_w1mbwzgzs0>

Which is a followup to this original request for who is peering this spam:
*Who is peering all these spams ostensibly from Google Groups?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw>

Which itself was followed up in a request for people to complain to Google:
*Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet*
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/xxniDVj3ArI>

Google's (lies) about why they are dropping their dejagoogle Usenet search
engine:
<https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538>

FYI... Most people aren't aware there are perhaps somewhat "similar"
alternatives:
<http://groups.google.com/g/alt.free.newsservers>
<https://alt.free.newsservers.narkive.com>
<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=alt.free.newsservers>