Make it idiot-proof, and someone will breed a better idiot. -- Oliver Elphick

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: Apple's rent in Rich's head - doesn't get it (again).

SubjectAuthor
* Apple's rent in Rich's head - doesn't get it (again).Alan Browne
`- Re: Apple's rent in Rich's head - doesn't get it (again).Alan Browne

1
Re: Apple's rent in Rich's head - doesn't get it (again).

<PMknN.136895$Ama9.31828@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=15002&group=rec.photo.digital#15002

Subject: Re: Apple's rent in Rich's head - doesn't get it (again).
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 18:37:19 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 23:37 UTC

On 2024-01-09 11:08, Rich wrote:
> Instead of hyping this to be the ultimate gateway to some kind of virtual world, or a revolutionary way to view and watch videos and movies...they want to emphasize it for using cheezy apps to read emails and look at still images? Perhaps because the power requirements for doing the former well current do not exist? The demo may have been glitch-plagued. Enjoy the battery dangling from your belt...be like the old days with high powered flashguns.

It's well known that the first version of this is for developers and
early goers. Will take a couple iterations before price comes down.

You would much rather have the battery off of your head. Experience
speaking.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Apple's rent in Rich's head - doesn't get it (again).

<9AboN.111641$yEgf.104165@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=15005&group=rec.photo.digital#15005

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 08:58:28 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:58 UTC

On 2024-01-11 16:21, Rich wrote:
> On Tuesday 9 January 2024 at 18:37:27 UTC-5, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2024-01-09 11:08, Rich wrote:
>>> Instead of hyping this to be the ultimate gateway to some kind of virtual world, or a revolutionary way to view and watch videos and movies...they want to emphasize it for using cheezy apps to read emails and look at still images? Perhaps because the power requirements for doing the former well current do not exist? The demo may have been glitch-plagued. Enjoy the battery dangling from your belt...be like the old days with high powered flashguns.
>> It's well known that the first version of this is for developers and
>> early goers. Will take a couple iterations before price comes down.
>>
>> You would much rather have the battery off of your head. Experience
>> speaking.
>
> I've got Sony wireless headphones that'll run for 15 hours without a charge and the battery weights nothing to speak of. However, the power requirements of these things is probably a lot higher. But, they could have put batteries in them and simply had a separate larger battery and a cable to extend use-time.

You clearly have no clue of the scale difference between your wireless
headphones (sound, low bandwidth) and what Apple are doing with these
goggles: many sensors, displays, processors - very high bandwidth (of
various kinds).
I have FPV goggles for drone use, and wearing them for more than 20
minutes is a strain. Would love for the battery to be on my belt instead.