The system was down for backups from 5am to 10am last Saturday.

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain viruses

SubjectAuthor
* Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain virusesWhisky-dave
`* Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain virusesAlan Browne
 `* Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain virusesgeoff
  `* Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain virusesAlan Browne
   `- Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain virusesAlan Browne

1
Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain viruses

<043d491e-7a82-4253-bb17-c92178e957een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=15057&group=rec.photo.digital#15057

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 04:55:25 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain viruses
From: whisky.dave@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:55 UTC

On Thursday 25 January 2024 at 01:35:14 UTC, Rich wrote:
> First virus I ever ran across was in software that came with Chinese MP3 player.
> https://petapixel.com/2024/01/24/hps-ceo-says-if-you-dont-use-their-printer-ink-youre-a-bad-investment/
Seems like this 'virus' is if you have a HP printer and nothing to do with the ink, it's the cartridge electronics.
I don;t think you can get a virus from ink, well not a computer virus any more than you can get a computer virus from rats piss,
which of course you can get a virus from.

Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain viruses

<hVPsN.16842$mMj7.5060@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=15059&group=rec.photo.digital#15059

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:07:57 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 15:07 UTC

On 2024-01-26 07:55, Whisky-dave wrote:
> I don;t think you can get a virus from ink, well not a computer virus any more than you can get a computer virus from rats piss,
> which of course you can get a virus from.

"inks" in this sense meaning the ink product in cart form, so not so bad.

Ironically the CEO is claiming a virus could get onto your computer this
way (a specious at best claim that has certainly not been proven or
demonstrated). t'were there no electronics on the carts themselves then
such would be absolutely impossible.

HP are evil. Will never buy their products again ( I declared this
sometime before 2010, not sure when precisely).

(A long day from their days in very high end test electronics when they
were a high quality organization).

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain viruses

<q4GdnSCe-ZrnDCn4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=15064&group=rec.photo.digital#15064

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 18:15:37 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 05:15 UTC

On 27/01/2024 4:07 am, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2024-01-26 07:55, Whisky-dave wrote:
>> I don;t think you can get a virus from ink, well not a computer virus
>> any more than you can get a computer virus from rats piss,
>> which of course you can get a virus from.
>
> "inks" in this sense meaning the ink product in cart form, so not so bad.
>
> Ironically the CEO is claiming a virus could get onto your computer this
> way (a specious at best claim that has certainly not been proven or
> demonstrated).  t'were there no electronics on the carts themselves then
> such would be absolutely impossible.
>
> HP are evil.  Will never buy their products again ( I declared this
> sometime before 2010, not sure when precisely).
>
> (A long day from their days in very high end test electronics when they
> were a high quality organization).

No code is run from the electronics in a cartridge. It merely responds
to a software polling with a 'used or not' and 'count'.

geoff

Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain viruses

<3k8tN.255547$7sbb.55657@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=15066&group=rec.photo.digital#15066

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:21:51 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:21 UTC

On 2024-01-27 00:15, geoff wrote:
> On 27/01/2024 4:07 am, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2024-01-26 07:55, Whisky-dave wrote:
>>> I don;t think you can get a virus from ink, well not a computer virus
>>> any more than you can get a computer virus from rats piss,
>>> which of course you can get a virus from.
>>
>> "inks" in this sense meaning the ink product in cart form, so not so bad.
>>
>> Ironically the CEO is claiming a virus could get onto your computer
>> this way (a specious at best claim that has certainly not been proven
>> or demonstrated).  t'were there no electronics on the carts themselves
>> then such would be absolutely impossible.
>>
>> HP are evil.  Will never buy their products again ( I declared this
>> sometime before 2010, not sure when precisely).
>>
>> (A long day from their days in very high end test electronics when
>> they were a high quality organization).
>>

> No code is run from the electronics in a cartridge. It merely responds
> to a software polling with a 'used or not' and 'count'.

I know the claim is utter BS ( I said "specious" actually - too soft?),
but if hp are claiming it is so, then they are saying their whole setup
invites that attack vector, thus it's a bad idea in the first place.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: HP says computer printer inks can contain viruses

<Cu7vN.95149$STLe.47993@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=15099&group=rec.photo.digital#15099

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 10:02:58 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 15:02 UTC

On 2024-02-02 00:18, Rich wrote:

> This is HP's revenge for the rejection of their "giant" ink-tank scam where they took what was a $60 printer, put in bigger ink-tanks, jacked the price up to $250 then pretended they were doing you some grand favour. This was a company that used to produce real electronic testing and production equipment that was the envy of the technological world. Disgusting.

Actually, the company that made the great Hewlett Packard test equipment
(which I used a lot in the 80's and 90's and early ought's) is now
Keysight, est. 2014 a spinoff of Agilent, itself a spinoff from the
original HP.

The "HP" of today is more the cinders of Compaq which merged with HP in
the early 2000's.