Newsgroups: sci.math
From: earle.jones@comcast.net (Earle)
Subject: RE: Re: Psychology of why math professors cannot admit truth of conic-sections that the slant cut of cone is Oval, never ellipse-- because admission of the truth implies those math professors were cackling idiot-failures in geometry. So they run and hide
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:46:34 GMT
 by: Earle - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:46 UTC

On Fri Feb 16 00:22:06 2024 Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
> Pallab Ghosh starts to tell the truth of physics failures who throw away research money on Morons Peter Higgs-CERN-Sheldon Glashow- Fabiola Gianotti, Harry Cliff when they fail to even do proper Water Electrolysis or build a drone to fly to ISS
* Propellor-driven craft do not work in a vacuum.
Do you know why?

earle
*

Re: Psychology of why math professors cannot admit truth of conic-sections that the slant cut of cone is Oval, never ellipse-- because admission of the truth implies those math professors were cackling idiot-failures in geometry. So they run and hide

<7qjp1jdqvp5eui7gp7aefmo7sb8pfn428u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=157732&group=sci.math#157732

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:23:08 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 07:23 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:46:34 GMT, Earle <earle.jones@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Fri Feb 16 00:22:06 2024 Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
>> Pallab Ghosh starts to tell the truth of physics failures who throw away research
>>money on Morons Peter Higgs-CERN-Sheldon Glashow- Fabiola Gianotti, Harry Cliff
>>when they fail to even do proper Water Electrolysis or build a drone to fly to ISS

Actually, E.S.A. has drones that do that trip. They just don't use
wings or blades.

>*
>Propellor-driven craft do not work in a vacuum.

It's just one of those quantum dreams that flash up when I'm in
half-sleep but if someone was to make thin, strong and massively
*huge* propellers, say miles in length, could *those* work at the very
low orbital height of the station?

After all, it's not entirely a vacuum. Not really. Not a complete
one.

>Do you know why?

Some of us do but still ...

There's the Solar Wind. If it can blow around the tails of comets
then it is a real physical *thing* that actually exists. That would
seem to indicate that were we to build truly insane propellers ...

Is anyone enough of an aerodynamicist to be able to work out how big
we'd need? And whether we could build a motor powerful enough to
rotate them?

I *know* it's daft, idiotic and totally nuts but so was Ingenuity and
she flew for months. :)

J.

Add-on: would the tips be Relativistic? Would we need nuclear engines
to drive them? Would the propellers be larger than the planet itself?
And could it actually be made to work?

I'm guessing that that's a bloody big "NO!" there? :)

>earle
>*

Add-on too: If it were within the realms of physical possibility
(which someone with a better education in aerodynamics will no doubt
prove it isn't) such a machine would make interplanetary trips quite
nice. We could launch from the Earth's surface with the blades mostly
furled and retracted, extending them further and further as the
ambient pressure reduced and having them fully deployed as we used the
Solar Winds around the more distant worlds.

Make the blades large enough and spin them fast enough and possibly
even inter-Galactic flight would work. There's "air" out in the vast
reaches between the star clouds. Not much but perhaps enough?

Spitfires with colossal blades attacking the Death Star? [Image from
"Dr. Who" and now I need breakfast.] (Hmmm, would the Spitfire blades
be *larger* than the Death Star, in diameter, not mass?) (If solid
enough, could the blades become buzz-saws? No missiles needed? Just
carve her up like a chicken?)

J.