From: invalide@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: New analysis of ancient human protein could unlock secrets of
evolution
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 22:09:55 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 04:09 UTC

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/mar/05/new-analysis-of-ancient-human-protein-could-unlock-secrets-of-evolution
Sun 5 Mar 2023

Tiny traces of protein lingering in the bones and teeth
of ancient humans could soon transform scientists’
efforts to unravel the secrets of the evolution of our
species.

Researchers believe a technique known as proteomics –
newly applied in the field of human fossils – could
allow them to identify the proteins from which our
predecessors’ bodies were constructed and bring new
insights into the past 2 million years of humanity’s
history.
A UK project to assess the promise of proteomics has
just been launched and will be carried out by a team
of scientists based at two major research centres in
London: the Francis Crick Institute and the Natural
History Museum. “We will spend the next three years
carefully assessing how much protein we can get out
of fossils and what we can learn from the samples we
obtain,” said Professor Chris Stringer, of the Natural
History Museum. “Hopefully, it will indicate we can
learn a lot about our past by studying ancient
proteins.”

Re: New analysis of ancient human protein could unlock secrets of evolution

<080e78e8-916b-4a4c-a7ac-6f7fee24a09an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=17952&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17952

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 21:41:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: New analysis of ancient human protein could unlock secrets of evolution
From: jtem01@gmail.com (JTEM is so reasonable)
 by: JTEM is so reasonabl - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 04:41 UTC

Primum Sapienti wrote:

> Researchers believe a technique known as proteomics –
> newly applied in the field of human fossils – could
> allow them to identify the proteins from which our
> predecessors’ bodies were constructed and bring new
> insights into the past 2 million years of humanity’s
> history.

John Hawks was talking about this, when he wasn't too
busying worshiping at the alter of Darwin, and he said it
was exciting, I think, but warned it was limited as their
is not the variation in proteins like we see in DNA.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/714340841585623040

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: New analysis of ancient human protein could unlock secrets of evolution