From: benlizro@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Robert Burns born (25-1-1759)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:11:35 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 23:11 UTC

The only Scots writer most people have heard of.
Two or three generations later than Ramsay (see 7 January).

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye take your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my arm.

Re: Robert Burns born (25-1-1759)

<87fryktdx2.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18303&group=sci.lang#18303

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Robert Burns born (25-1-1759)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:36:09 +0000
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:36 UTC

Ar an séú lá is fiche de mí Eanair, scríobh Ross Clark:

> The only Scots writer most people have heard of.
> Two or three generations later than Ramsay (see 7 January).
>
> Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
> Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
> Aboon them a' ye take your place,
> Painch, tripe, or thairm:
> Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
> As lang's my arm.

I was a week in Scotland in my life, in Edinburgh, I have had very little to do
with the Scots of Scotland. I’ve been in Northern Ireland a good deal, though,
from 2015 onwards, and have dealt with farmers of Presbyterian stock quite a
bit. There’s very little of what heard that I would have found unintelligible
despite growing up with very little exposure to it; while you can hear Scotland
in the accent, more noticeably the closer to the coast you get, grammar and syntax
is (IMO) fairly close to standard English. Plenty of Scots vocabulary though,
“thran” (stubborn) “bealing” (weeping pus) are two that stick in my mind at the
moment. Maybe I’ve been missing the proper culchies?!.

Is there any of Scotland to be heard in NZ? Settlement was very heavy on Scots
if I remember correctly.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’

Re: Robert Burns born (25-1-1759)

<up9amf$lcp1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18312&group=sci.lang#18312

From: benlizro@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:00:26 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:00 UTC

On 27/01/2024 2:36 a.m., Aidan Kehoe wrote:

> Ar an séú lá is fiche de mí Eanair, scríobh Ross Clark:
>
> > The only Scots writer most people have heard of.
> > Two or three generations later than Ramsay (see 7 January).
> >
> > Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
> > Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
> > Aboon them a' ye take your place,
> > Painch, tripe, or thairm:
> > Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
> > As lang's my arm.
>
> I was a week in Scotland in my life, in Edinburgh, I have had very little to do
> with the Scots of Scotland. I’ve been in Northern Ireland a good deal, though,
> from 2015 onwards, and have dealt with farmers of Presbyterian stock quite a
> bit. There’s very little of what heard that I would have found unintelligible
> despite growing up with very little exposure to it; while you can hear Scotland
> in the accent, more noticeably the closer to the coast you get, grammar and syntax
> is (IMO) fairly close to standard English. Plenty of Scots vocabulary though,
> “thran” (stubborn) “bealing” (weeping pus) are two that stick in my mind at the
> moment. Maybe I’ve been missing the proper culchies?!.
>
> Is there any of Scotland to be heard in NZ? Settlement was very heavy on Scots
> if I remember correctly.

I wish I could answer that clearly and definitively.
One thing everybody knows is that there is an island of rhoticity in the
south of the South Island, which is generally attributed to Scottish
settlement. There are probably some lexical items as well, but I can't
find (or make up) a general statement about it.