From: benlizro@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: How did I miss this one?
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 22:22:41 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 09:22 UTC

World Endangered Writing Day (23 January)

https://wewday.webflow.io/

This just in from the LinguistList:

All of the the talks and discussion sessions that comprised World
Endangered Writing Day (on January 23rd) have been recorded and are
available at

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYG37Sb2buKjaMtjztHjDc5pSS1a1jorr

They include talks on the latest research in khipu, redefinitions of
writing from the viewpoint of grapholinguistics, language and script
study and support in the pluralistic state of Sikkim (India), the
relationship between cultural identity and typeface design, Unicode and
the digitization of neographies, instructional design for teaching the
Dongba script of Lijiang, China, via MOOC, the lessons to be learned
about script endangerment from lost scripts of the ancient world, and a
case study in mother-tongue and mother-script education and revival
among indigenous communities in Bangladesh. Discussion also included the
tension between the development of ChatGPT and writing as a manual art.