From: HenHanna@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: what does [verb, neuter] mean in a (Victorian) dictionary entry?
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 16:48:58 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 00:48 UTC

in the following passage, what does [verb, neuter] mean in a
(Victorian) dictionary entry?

Does it mean [intransitive Verb] ?

____________________________
Mrs. B. -- Is there anything else you’ve got to grumble about, sir?

Cox. ---- Grumble! Mrs. Bouncer, do you possess such a thing as a
dictionary?

Mrs. B. -- No, sir.

Cox. ---- Then I’ll lend you one—and if you turn to the letter G, you’ll
find “Grumble, verb neuter—to complain without a cause.”

Now that’s not my case, Mrs. B., and now that we are upon the subject, I
wish to know how it is that I frequently find my apartment full of smoke?

____________________________

bard.google.com >>> Ah, understanding the verb "to grumble" with the
"(neuter)" marker in a Victorian dictionary entry requires some
historical context. While the modern definition of "grumble" refers to
complaining or muttering in discontent, its meaning in older
dictionaries can be slightly different.

Here's what the "(neuter)" marker likely signifies in this case:

1. Intransitive Verb: In grammar, a verb is intransitive if it doesn't
take a direct object. The "(neuter)" marker often indicated an
intransitive verb in older dictionaries. So, "to grumble (neuter)" meant
that it expressed an action without referring to anything being grumbled
about.

2. Specific Sense: Victorian dictionaries sometimes used "(neuter)" to
distinguish different "senses" or meanings of a verb. It's possible that
"to grumble (neuter)" referred to a specific way of grumbling, perhaps
focusing on the sound or action itself rather than any specific complaint.
------------- is this plausible???

3. Historical Usage: Back then, "grumble" might have had a broader
meaning, encompassing not just verbal complaints but also rumbling
sounds, low noises, or even physical expressions of discontent. The
"(neuter)" marker could differentiate this general sense from any
specific verbal complaints implied by the verb.

Unfortunately, without access to the specific dictionary entry, it's
impossible to be definitive about the exact meaning of "(neuter)" in
relation to "to grumble." However, the points above provide a general
understanding of how this marker was used and offer some context for
interpreting the verb's meaning in a Victorian dictionary.

If you could provide additional details about the dictionary or any
surrounding information in the entry, I might be able to offer a more
specific explanation.

Re: what does [verb, neuter] mean in a (Victorian) dictionary entry?

<uqe578$1nj4i$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18389&group=sci.lang#18389

From: HenHanna@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:13:58 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:13 UTC