Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proven innocent. -- George Orwell

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / frontal air sinuses in Homo

SubjectAuthor
* frontal air sinuses in Homolittor...@gmail.com
`* frontal air sinuses in HomoPandora
 `* frontal air sinuses in Homolittor...@gmail.com
  +* frontal air sinuses in HomoPrimum Sapienti
  |`- frontal air sinuses in Homolittor...@gmail.com
  `- frontal air sinuses in HomoPandora

1
frontal air sinuses in Homo

<805c130e-7731-4679-ad07-af395591f3adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18355&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18355

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: frontal air sinuses in Homo
From: littoral.homo@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:22 UTC

Frontal sinuses and human evolution
Antoine Balzeau cs 2022
Science Advances 8, Issue 42
doi 10.1126/sciadv.abp9767

The frontal sinuses are cavities inside the frontal bone, located at the junction between the face & the cranial vault, close to the brain.
Despite a long history of study, understanding of their origin & variation through evolution is limited.(?? :-) --mv)
This work compares most hominin spp’ holotypes & other key individuals with extant hominids.
It provides a unique & valuable perspective of the variation in sinuses position, shape & dimensions, based on a simple & reproducible methodology.
We also observed a co-variation between sinus size+shape & the underlying frontal lobes in hominin spp, from at least the appearance of H.erectus.
Our results additionally undermine hypotheses stating that hominin frontal sinuses were directly affected by bio-mechanical constraints resulting from chewing, or adaptation to climate.
Last, we demonstrate their substantial potential for discussions of the evolutionary relationships between hominin spp.

___

Yes, the paranasal sinuses (frontal, maxillary, ethmoidal...) had nothing to with chewing, nor climate, nor brain function.
- H.erectus had small PNSs.
- H.neand. & heidelb. had large PNSs.
The function is clear IMO: they're exactly what the word says: air around the nasal passage:
emerging nose first & back-floating, for consuming aquatic foods sea-otter-like: molluscs, possibly (also?) aquatic plants?
- Coastal Homo had small PNSs (sodium content),
- riverside Homo had large PNSs (less dense water).
Apparently, neandertals seasonally followed the Meuse, Rhine etc. inland. Salmon trek??

The co-variation of PNS size & frontal brain form is clear IMO:
both are correlated with diving (hydrodynamic platycephaly).

Only incredible imbeciles believe our paranasal sinuses were for running after antelopes... :-DDD

Re: frontal air sinuses in Homo

<pd1oii53q9jpqatqg3pvac7vcc7rjpvve1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18364&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18364

From: pandora@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Re: frontal air sinuses in Homo
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 17:31:09 +0200
 by: Pandora - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:31 UTC

On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:22:59 -0700 (PDT), "littor...@gmail.com"
<littoral.homo@gmail.com> wrote:

>Frontal sinuses and human evolution
>Antoine Balzeau cs 2022
>Science Advances 8, Issue 42
>doi 10.1126/sciadv.abp9767
>
>The frontal sinuses are cavities inside the frontal bone, located at the junction between the face & the cranial vault, close to the brain.
>Despite a long history of study, understanding of their origin & variation through evolution is limited.(?? :-) --mv)
>This work compares most hominin spp’ holotypes & other key individuals with extant hominids.
>It provides a unique & valuable perspective of the variation in sinuses position, shape & dimensions, based on a simple & reproducible methodology.
>We also observed a co-variation between sinus size+shape & the underlying frontal lobes in hominin spp, from at least the appearance of H.erectus.
>Our results additionally undermine hypotheses stating that hominin frontal sinuses were directly affected by bio-mechanical constraints resulting from chewing, or adaptation to climate.
>Last, we demonstrate their substantial potential for discussions of the evolutionary relationships between hominin spp.
>
>___
>
>Yes, the paranasal sinuses (frontal, maxillary, ethmoidal...) had nothing to with chewing, nor climate, nor brain function.
>- H.erectus had small PNSs.

From the paper:

"Both H. erectus s.l. and H. sapiens show relatively great variation
in the size and shape of the frontal sinuses (table S4), including a
sizeable proportion of aplasia. The Zhoukoudian, Ngandong, and
Sambungmacan individuals tend to have small sinuses, and several
exhibit aplasia (tables S2 and S3). Sinuses are larger in the more
ancient Indonesian and African H. erectus individuals."

>- H.neand. & heidelb. had large PNSs.

From the paper:

"H. neanderthalensis do not have absolutely or relatively larger
sinuses compared to other hominins"

That suggests PNS also do not discriminate between supposed
(semi)aquatic and non-aquatic hominins.

Re: frontal air sinuses in Homo

<adf9ecfc-3d88-41f8-b8fb-1daea1ae3116n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18365&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18365

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 09:14:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral.homo@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 16:14 UTC

Op zondag 15 oktober 2023 om 17:31:12 UTC+2 schreef Pandora:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:22:59 -0700 (PDT), "littor...@gmail.com"

> >Frontal sinuses and human evolution
> >Antoine Balzeau cs 2022 Science Advances 8, Issue 42
> >doi 10.1126/sciadv.abp9767
> >The frontal sinuses are cavities inside the frontal bone, located at the junction between the face & the cranial vault, close to the brain.
> >Despite a long history of study, understanding of their origin & variation through evolution is limited.(?? :-) --mv)
> >This work compares most hominin spp’ holotypes & other key individuals with extant hominids.
> >It provides a unique & valuable perspective of the variation in sinuses position, shape & dimensions, based on a simple & reproducible methodology.
> >We also observed a co-variation between sinus size+shape & the underlying frontal lobes in hominin spp, from at least the appearance of H.erectus.
> >Our results additionally undermine hypotheses stating that hominin frontal sinuses were directly affected by bio-mechanical constraints resulting from chewing, or adaptation to climate.
> >Last, we demonstrate their substantial potential for discussions of the evolutionary relationships between hominin spp.

> >Yes, the paranasal sinuses (frontal, maxillary, ethmoidal...) had nothing to with chewing, nor climate, nor brain function.
> >- H.erectus had small PNSs.

> From the paper:
> "Both H. erectus s.l. and H. sapiens show relatively great variation
> in the size and shape of the frontal sinuses (table S4),

Yes, my little boy: as you might know (???), sea-water is heavier than fresh-water:
H.erectus Java had small PNSs, H.heidelb.-neand. has large PNSs:
He<Hs<Hn.
Okidoki?

Hn probably seasoanlly followed the Rhine+Meuse... inland. Salmon trek??
In Hs, PNSs are only(?) the cause of sinusitis...

Re: frontal air sinuses in Homo

<ugidik$103s7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18371&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18371

From: invalide@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 22:18:25 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 04:18 UTC

littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Op zondag 15 oktober 2023 om 17:31:12 UTC+2 schreef Pandora:
>> On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:22:59 -0700 (PDT), "littor...@gmail.com"
>
>>> Frontal sinuses and human evolution
>>> Antoine Balzeau cs 2022 Science Advances 8, Issue 42
>>> doi 10.1126/sciadv.abp9767
>>> The frontal sinuses are cavities inside the frontal bone, located at the junction between the face & the cranial vault, close to the brain.
>>> Despite a long history of study, understanding of their origin & variation through evolution is limited.(?? :-) --mv)
>>> This work compares most hominin spp’ holotypes & other key individuals with extant hominids.
>>> It provides a unique & valuable perspective of the variation in sinuses position, shape & dimensions, based on a simple & reproducible methodology.
>>> We also observed a co-variation between sinus size+shape & the underlying frontal lobes in hominin spp, from at least the appearance of H.erectus.
>>> Our results additionally undermine hypotheses stating that hominin frontal sinuses were directly affected by bio-mechanical constraints resulting from chewing, or adaptation to climate.
>>> Last, we demonstrate their substantial potential for discussions of the evolutionary relationships between hominin spp.
>
>>> Yes, the paranasal sinuses (frontal, maxillary, ethmoidal...) had nothing to with chewing, nor climate, nor brain function.
>>> - H.erectus had small PNSs.
>
>> From the paper:
>> "Both H. erectus s.l. and H. sapiens show relatively great variation
>> in the size and shape of the frontal sinuses (table S4),
>
> Yes, my little boy: as you might know (???), sea-water is heavier than fresh-water:
> H.erectus Java had small PNSs, H.heidelb.-neand. has large PNSs:
> He<Hs<Hn.
> Okidoki?
>
> Hn probably seasoanlly followed the Rhine+Meuse... inland. Salmon trek??
> In Hs, PNSs are only(?) the cause of sinusitis...

There is no mention of water (salt or fresh) in the paper,
therefore it is not relevant.

Further

https://www.learnz.org.nz/argofloats142/bg-standard-f/ocean-salinity-and-temperature

Density = mass/volume. Increasing the mass by adding salt increases
the density.

density of fresh water is 1gm/ml
density of sea water is 1.025 gm/ml
Seawater is a little bit more dense than fresh water so
it sinks beneath freshwater. This means that when rivers
flow out into the sea the river freshwater floats on top
of the sea water. However when the wind blows and the sea
becomes rough, the two waters get all mixed up.

A difference of only .025 gm/ml...

Re: frontal air sinuses in Homo

<ltcqiipsbot2rla3g54j0vpkqvu8q8ao22@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18376&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18376

From: pandora@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:00:04 +0200
 by: Pandora - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:00 UTC

On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 09:14:30 -0700 (PDT), "littor...@gmail.com"
<littoral.homo@gmail.com> wrote:

>Op zondag 15 oktober 2023 om 17:31:12 UTC+2 schreef Pandora:
>> On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:22:59 -0700 (PDT), "littor...@gmail.com"
>
>> >Frontal sinuses and human evolution
>> >Antoine Balzeau cs 2022 Science Advances 8, Issue 42
>> >doi 10.1126/sciadv.abp9767
>> >The frontal sinuses are cavities inside the frontal bone, located at the junction between the face & the cranial vault, close to the brain.
>> >Despite a long history of study, understanding of their origin & variation through evolution is limited.(?? :-) --mv)
>> >This work compares most hominin spp’ holotypes & other key individuals with extant hominids.
>> >It provides a unique & valuable perspective of the variation in sinuses position, shape & dimensions, based on a simple & reproducible methodology.
>> >We also observed a co-variation between sinus size+shape & the underlying frontal lobes in hominin spp, from at least the appearance of H.erectus.
>> >Our results additionally undermine hypotheses stating that hominin frontal sinuses were directly affected by bio-mechanical constraints resulting from chewing, or adaptation to climate.
>> >Last, we demonstrate their substantial potential for discussions of the evolutionary relationships between hominin spp.
>
>> >Yes, the paranasal sinuses (frontal, maxillary, ethmoidal...) had nothing to with chewing, nor climate, nor brain function.
>> >- H.erectus had small PNSs.
>
>> From the paper:
>> "Both H. erectus s.l. and H. sapiens show relatively great variation
>> in the size and shape of the frontal sinuses (table S4),
>
>Yes, my little boy: as you might know (???), sea-water is heavier than fresh-water:
>H.erectus Java had small PNSs, H.heidelb.-neand. has large PNSs:
>He<Hs<Hn.

That can't be right, because the paper says:

"H. neanderthalensis do not have absolutely or relatively larger
sinuses compared to other hominins"

Re: frontal air sinuses in Homo

<0188299e-b941-4362-834c-3eac12b0bcb1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18377&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18377

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral.homo@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:33 UTC

me:

kudu runner:
> >> From the paper:
> >> "Both H. erectus s.l. and H. sapiens show relatively great variation
> >> in the size and shape of the frontal sinuses (table S4),

me:
> > Yes, my little boy: as you might know (???), sea-water is heavier than fresh-water:
> > H.erectus Java had small PNSs, H.heidelb.-neand. has large PNSs:
> > He<Hs<Hn. Okidoki?
> > Hn probably seasoanlly followed the Rhine+Meuse... inland. Salmon trek??
> > In Hs, PNSs are only(?) the cause of sinusitis...
> There is no mention of water (salt or fresh) in the paper,
> therefore it is not relevant.

kudu runner:
> Further
> https://www.learnz.org.nz/argofloats142/bg-standard-f/ocean-salinity-and-temperature
> Density = mass/volume. Increasing the mass by adding salt increases the density.
> density of fresh water is 1gm/ml
> density of sea water is 1.025 gm/ml
> Seawater is a little bit more dense than fresh water so
> it sinks beneath freshwater. This means that when rivers
> flow out into the sea the river freshwater floats on top
> of the sea water. However when the wind blows and the sea
> becomes rough, the two waters get all mixed up.
> A difference of only .025 gm/ml...

Thanks, smart boy. Of course: what had you thought?? :-DDD
Grow up.
Only incredible imbeciles believe their ancestors ran after antelopes over Afr.savannas.