From: invalide@invalid.invalid (Tilde)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: New radiocarbon dates on the undeciphered Easter Island Rongorongo
script
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 22:40:34 -0700
 by: Tilde - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 05:40 UTC

The paper is public.

Published: 02 February 2024
The invention of writing on Rapa Nui
(Easter Island). New radiocarbon dates
on the Rongorongo script

Abstract
Placing the origin of an undeciphered script in
time is crucial to understanding the invention
of writing in human history. Rapa Nui, also
known as Easter Island, developed a script, now
engraved on fewer than 30 wooden objects, which
is still undeciphered. Its origins are also
obscure. Central to this issue is whether the
script was invented before European travelers
reached the island in the eighteenth century
AD. Hence direct radiocarbon dating of the wood
plays a fundamental role. Until now, only two
tablets were directly dated, placing them in
the nineteenth c. AD, which does not solve the
question of independent invention. Here we
radiocarbon-dated four Rongorongo tablets
preserved in Rome, Italy. One specimen yielded
a unique and secure mid-fifteenth c. date, while
the others fall within the nineteenth c. AD. Our
results suggest that the use of the script could
be placed to a horizon that predates the arrival
of external influence.

Re: New radiocarbon dates on the undeciphered Easter Island Rongorongo script

<87wmraq6e5.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18385&group=sci.lang#18385

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: New radiocarbon dates on the undeciphered Easter Island
Rongorongo script
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 11:16:50 +0000
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 11:16 UTC

Ar an naoiú lá de mí Feabhra, scríobh Tilde:

> The paper is public.
>
> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-53063-7
> Published: 02 February 2024
> The invention of writing on Rapa Nui
> (Easter Island). New radiocarbon dates
> on the Rongorongo script
>
> Abstract
> Placing the origin of an undeciphered script in
> time is crucial to understanding the invention
> of writing in human history. Rapa Nui, also
> known as Easter Island, developed a script, now
> engraved on fewer than 30 wooden objects, which
> is still undeciphered. Its origins are also
> obscure. Central to this issue is whether the
> script was invented before European travelers
> reached the island in the eighteenth century
> AD. Hence direct radiocarbon dating of the wood
> plays a fundamental role. Until now, only two
> tablets were directly dated, placing them in
> the nineteenth c. AD, which does not solve the
> question of independent invention. Here we
> radiocarbon-dated four Rongorongo tablets
> preserved in Rome, Italy. One specimen yielded
> a unique and secure mid-fifteenth c. date, while
> the others fall within the nineteenth c. AD. Our
> results suggest that the use of the script could
> be placed to a horizon that predates the arrival
> of external influence.

Great to have that information. Is there any evidence of writing among the
Polynesians elsewhere predating contact with Europeans?

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’

Re: New radiocarbon dates on the undeciphered Easter Island Rongorongo script

<uqe7un$1o6sp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18392&group=sci.lang#18392

From: benlizro@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Rongorongo script
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 12:00:35 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 23:00 UTC

On 13/02/2024 12:16 a.m., Aidan Kehoe wrote:

> Ar an naoiú lá de mí Feabhra, scríobh Tilde:
>
> > The paper is public.
> >
> > https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-53063-7
> > Published: 02 February 2024
> > The invention of writing on Rapa Nui
> > (Easter Island). New radiocarbon dates
> > on the Rongorongo script
> >
> > Abstract
> > Placing the origin of an undeciphered script in
> > time is crucial to understanding the invention
> > of writing in human history. Rapa Nui, also
> > known as Easter Island, developed a script, now
> > engraved on fewer than 30 wooden objects, which
> > is still undeciphered. Its origins are also
> > obscure. Central to this issue is whether the
> > script was invented before European travelers
> > reached the island in the eighteenth century
> > AD. Hence direct radiocarbon dating of the wood
> > plays a fundamental role. Until now, only two
> > tablets were directly dated, placing them in
> > the nineteenth c. AD, which does not solve the
> > question of independent invention. Here we
> > radiocarbon-dated four Rongorongo tablets
> > preserved in Rome, Italy. One specimen yielded
> > a unique and secure mid-fifteenth c. date, while
> > the others fall within the nineteenth c. AD. Our
> > results suggest that the use of the script could
> > be placed to a horizon that predates the arrival
> > of external influence.
>
> Great to have that information. Is there any evidence of writing among the
> Polynesians elsewhere predating contact with Europeans?

None that I have heard of (putting aside cranks and fakers like Barry Fell).

I agree that the new date (if secure, even though unique) is of
interest. There was at one time a hypothesis that the Rapanuians had
created the Rongorongo after seeing Spanish written documents used in
the ceremony of taking-possession in 1770. It seemed unlikely, but it
was difficult to disprove when none of the extant documents could be
shown to be pre-European. (They do not seem ever to have inscribed more
than single characters on stone, and those are hard to date anyway.)

Re: New radiocarbon dates on the undeciphered Easter Island Rongorongo script

<uqjqdu$2taif$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18402&group=sci.lang#18402

From: invalide@invalid.invalid (Tilde)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Rongorongo script
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:46:37 -0700
 by: Tilde - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 01:46 UTC

Aidan Kehoe wrote:

> Ar an naoiú lá de mí Feabhra, scríobh Tilde:
>
> > The paper is public.
> >
> > https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-53063-7
> > Published: 02 February 2024
> > The invention of writing on Rapa Nui
> > (Easter Island). New radiocarbon dates
> > on the Rongorongo script

> Great to have that information. Is there any evidence of writing among the
> Polynesians elsewhere predating contact with Europeans?

Did a little googling, it appears the answer is no, there does
not appear to be any other pre-contact Polynesian writing.

Re: New radiocarbon dates on the undeciphered Easter Island Rongorongo script

<875xyqq9le.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18403&group=sci.lang#18403

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Rongorongo script
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 10:56:45 +0000
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 10:56 UTC

Ar an ceathrú lá déag de mí Feabhra, scríobh Tilde:

> > Great to have that information. Is there any evidence of writing among the
> > Polynesians elsewhere predating contact with Europeans?
>
> Did a little googling, it appears the answer is no, there does
> not appear to be any other pre-contact Polynesian writing.

The Polynesians were astonishing, weren’t they? All that long-distance sea
travel without written transmission of technological knowledge.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’
(C. Moore)

Re: New radiocarbon dates on the undeciphered Easter Island Rongorongo script

<uqmtjt$3o2ah$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18405&group=sci.lang#18405

From: invalide@invalid.invalid (Tilde)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Rongorongo script
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 22:59:25 -0700
 by: Tilde - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 05:59 UTC

Aidan Kehoe wrote:
> Ar an ceathrú lá déag de mí Feabhra, scríobh Tilde:
>
> > > Great to have that information. Is there any evidence of writing among the
> > > Polynesians elsewhere predating contact with Europeans?
> >
> > Did a little googling, it appears the answer is no, there does
> > not appear to be any other pre-contact Polynesian writing.
>
> The Polynesians were astonishing, weren’t they? All that long-distance sea
> travel without written transmission of technological knowledge.

Yes, but do keep in mind that they went out without
knowing what was out there. The more remarkable
thing about their sailing out is that they had
the boating skills to survive indefinitely.

Re: New radiocarbon dates on the undeciphered Easter Island Rongorongo script

<uqndul$3qk91$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18406&group=sci.lang#18406

From: mikko.levanto@iki.fi (Mikko)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: New radiocarbon dates on the undeciphered Easter Island Rongorongo script
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 12:38:13 +0200
 by: Mikko - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:38 UTC

On 2024-02-16 05:59:25 +0000, Tilde said:

> Aidan Kehoe wrote:
>> Ar an ceathrú lá déag de mí Feabhra, scríobh Tilde:

>>> Did a little googling, it appears the answer is no, there does
>>> not appear to be any other pre-contact Polynesian writing.
>>
>> The Polynesians were astonishing, weren’t they? All that long-distance sea
>> travel without written transmission of technological knowledge.
>
> Yes, but do keep in mind that they went out without
> knowing what was out there.

Sometimes but more often they were going to a place they knew
and usually were able to return home.

--
Mikko