From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Charles Darwin, Abraham Lincoln
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 11:34:47 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 10:34 UTC

Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln (twins!) were born on 12th February
1809. Neither known for contributions to linguistics, but famous anyway.

--
Athel cb

Re: Charles Darwin, Abraham Lincoln

<87sf1xqz1q.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18386&group=sci.lang#18386

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Charles Darwin, Abraham Lincoln
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:10:09 +0000
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:10 UTC

Ar an dara lá déag de mí Feabhra, scríobh Athel Cornish-Bowden:

> Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln (twins!) were born on 12th February
> 1809. Neither known for contributions to linguistics, but famous anyway.

‘Four score and seven years ago, our forefathers brought four the plea,
“Please, sir, I want some more.”’

My digital copy of the OED2 is in a Windows XP virtual machine image that would
need several hours for me to bring up, but I’m certain Dickens has plenty of
early datings of English words, if someone has the access to confirm. Lincoln
too, for that matter.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’

Re: Charles Darwin, Abraham Lincoln

<87o7ckriex.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18393&group=sci.lang#18393

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 06:24:06 +0000
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 06:24 UTC

Ar an dara lá déag de mí Feabhra, scríobh Aidan Kehoe:

> Ar an dara lá déag de mí Feabhra, scríobh Athel Cornish-Bowden:
>
> > Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln (twins!) were born on 12th February
> > 1809. Neither known for contributions to linguistics, but famous anyway.
>
> ‘Four score and seven years ago, our forefathers brought four the plea,
> “Please, sir, I want some more.”’
>
> My digital copy of the OED2 is in a Windows XP virtual machine image that would
> need several hours for me to bring up, but I’m certain Dickens has plenty of
> early datings of English words, if someone has the access to confirm. Lincoln
> too, for that matter.

Oops, wrong Charles D!

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’
(C. Moore)

Re: Charles Darwin, Abraham Lincoln

<n26nsil9ohcuv9c3fu4b6fvm9oms1uhkva@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18396&group=sci.lang#18396

From: rh@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:28:35 +0100
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 16:28 UTC

Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:10:09 +0000: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
scribeva:

https://oed.hertford.ox.ac.uk/oed-editions/oed2/
https://www.oed.com/