* dpkg ponders: 'C++' should have been called 'D' -- #Debian

tech / sci.lang / Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)

SubjectAuthor
* (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)HenHanna
`* Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)HenHanna
 `* Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)Aidan Kehoe
  +* Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)HenHanna
  |`- Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)Aidan Kehoe
  `- Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)Ruud Harmsen

1
(Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)

<22fa8961dcac4bb04c32d6d329bfc7e1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18463&group=sci.lang#18463

From: HenHanna@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 20:09:11 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 20:09 UTC

As honest as the day is long ---------- What's the origin? (attributed to Henry David Thorough ?)

2 or 3 more folksy expressions i like are...

(in a Noir film) a gumshoe says:

I'll follow you... stick to you like white on rice.

Guilty as sin

Safe as churches ------ (i heard this one in that pretty good movie, Neo-Noir)

Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)

<0b65882aada59980ec4c63b30b97213b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18481&group=sci.lang#18481

From: HenHanna@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 19:39:39 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 19:39 UTC

>>> How do you achieve Nroff-like formatting in your post(s) ?
>>
>> it's a patented technique developed by scribes many centuries ago

> Or if you happen to use Emacs, you can invoke `M-x set-justification`,
> then type "full", then use M-q to apply full justification on the
> region. No ancient scribes required (well, aside from the Emacs
> authors). Be warned that it looks kind of goofy on a screen in a
> monospace font instead of in a book in a nice variable-width typeface.
> john

Well... it depends on what you
mean by "goofy" -- does it not?
i looked for online Nroff simulators
or emulators and was able to find
none! Btw, GG used to hide my email
adrs but here my email adrs is shown
explicitly as is, and i'm afraid
i may be seeing a shocking increase
in the volume of spam email.
omg, i certainly hope not!!!
(i've not noticed it thus far.)

Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)

<87sf1bbuxa.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18482&group=sci.lang#18482

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 07:18:09 +0000
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 07:18 UTC

Ar an t-ochtú lá is fiche de mí Feabhra, scríobh HenHanna:

> >> it's a patented technique developed by scribes many centuries ago
>

> > Or if you happen to use Emacs, you can invoke `M-x set-justification`,
> > then type "full", then use M-q to apply full justification on the region.
> > No ancient scribes required (well, aside from the Emacs authors). Be
> > warned that it looks kind of goofy on a screen in a monospace font instead
> > of in a book in a nice variable-width typeface. john
>

> Well... it depends on what you mean by "goofy" -- does it not? i looked for
> online Nroff simulators or emulators and was able to find none! Btw, GG used
> to hide my email adrs but here my email adrs is shown explicitly as is, and
> i'm afraid i may be seeing a shocking increase in the volume of spam email.
> omg, i certainly hope not!!! (i've not noticed it thus far.)

The addresses had been available anyway to anyone with non-Google-Groups Usenet
access, so I’d be very surprised if there were any difference.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’

Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)

<46db3aa176f9e2856fcf5a7158888491@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18483&group=sci.lang#18483

From: HenHanna@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:18:40 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:18 UTC

Aidan Kehoe wrote:

> Ar an t-ochtú lá is fiche de mí Feabhra, scríobh HenHanna:

> > > Or if you happen to use Emacs, you can invoke `M-x set-justification`,
> > > then type "full", then use M-q to apply full justification on the region.
> > > No ancient scribes required (well, aside from the Emacs authors). Be
> > > warned that it looks kind of goofy on a screen in a monospace font instead
> > > of in a book in a nice variable-width typeface. john
> >

> > Well... it depends on what you mean by "goofy" -- does it not? i looked for
> > online Nroff simulators or emulators and was able to find none! Btw, GG used
> > to hide my email adrs but here my email adrs is shown explicitly as is, and
> > i'm afraid i may be seeing a shocking increase in the volume of spam email.
> > omg, i certainly hope not!!! (i've not noticed it thus far.)

> The addresses had been available anyway to anyone with non-Google-Groups Usenet
> access, so I’d be very surprised if there were any difference.

fiche is not in my tiny Irish->Eng. dictionary

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fiche#Irish

i think i'm seeing some increase in Spam emails.

___________________________________
i dn't know why, but a few years ago i started getting these Spam emails in Finnish.

Kanta-asiakaskirje
Kiitos, että olet mukana matkassamme
Toivon, että matkamme jatkuu yhdessä myös pian alkavana uutena vuotena. Mitä tulevat kuukaudet tuovat tullessaan, se nähdään aikanaan. Toivon kuitenkin, että vuosi 2024 tuo mukanaan paljon hyviä uutisia, iloa ja menestystä.

Vain hyviä lupauksia uudelle vuodelle tekee

Hannamari
Motonetin kanta-asiakaspalvelusta

Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)

<87o7bzave3.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18486&group=sci.lang#18486

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:05:40 +0000
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:05 UTC

Ar an naoú lá is fiche de mí Feabhra, scríobh HenHanna:

> fiche is not in my tiny Irish->Eng. dictionary
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fiche#Irish

You can say scór instead, but it’s a little marked.

> i think i'm seeing some increase in Spam emails.

You don’t have a spam filter? Or are you checking it?

> ___________________________________
> i dn't know why, but a few years ago i started getting these Spam emails in Finnish.
>

> Kanta-asiakaskirje
> Kiitos, että olet mukana matkassamme
> Toivon, että matkamme jatkuu yhdessä myös pian alkavana uutena vuotena. Mitä tulevat kuukaudet tuovat tullessaan, se nähdään aikanaan. Toivon kuitenkin, että vuosi 2024 tuo mukanaan paljon hyviä uutisia, iloa ja menestystä.
>
> Vain hyviä lupauksia uudelle vuodelle tekee
>
> Hannamari
> Motonetin kanta-asiakaspalvelusta

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’
(C. Moore)

Re: (Guilty as sin) -- (As honest as the day is long)

<c723uihgedmcn5ausdk6uvn8eiuomv3srp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18490&group=sci.lang#18490

From: rh@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 08:52:35 +0100
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:52 UTC

Thu, 29 Feb 2024 07:18:09 +0000: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
scribeva:

> Ar an t-ochtú lá is fiche de mí Feabhra, scríobh HenHanna:

> > > Or if you happen to use Emacs, you can invoke `M-x set-justification`,
> > > then type "full", then use M-q to apply full justification on the region.

But based on constant width character, not taking into account the
existence of modern proportional fonts. So it's done at the wrong
moment by the wrong software.

Ruud Harmsen, https://rudhar.com