Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 02:51:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Diploic venes in Hn & Hs
From: m_verhaegen@skynet.be (Marc Verhaegen)
 by: Marc Verhaegen - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 10:51 UTC

The diploic venous system in Homo neanderthalensis and fossil Homo sapiens:
a study using high-resolution computed tomography
Jiaming Hui & Antoine Balzeau 2023 Am.J.biol.Anthr.
doi org/10.1002/ajpa.24843

Is the diploic venous system related to human brain evolution?
Its evol.trajectory & physiol.functions remain largely unclear.
We examine the characteristics of the diploic venous channels (DCs) in well-preserved Hn & UP Hs crania:
- we search for the differences between the 2 taxa,
- we explore associations between brain anatomy & DCs.

Materials & Methods
5 Hn & 4 Hs fossil spms from W-Europe were analyzed: micro-CT scanning & 3D reconstruction:
-the distribution pattern & draining orifices of the DCs were inspected qualitatively,
-the size of the DCs was quantified by volume calculation,
-the degree of complexity was quantified by fractal analyses.

Results
High-resolution data show the details of the DC structures, not documented in previous studies.
Hn & Hs spms share substantial similarities in the DCs.
The noticeable differences between the 2 samples manifest in the connecting points surrounding the
- frontal sinuses,
- parietal foramina,
- asterional area.

Discussion
This study provides a better understanding of DC anatomy in Hn & Hs.
The connection patterns of the DCs have potential utility in
- distinguishing between Hn & Hs,
- the phylogenetic & taxonomic discussion of the Hn-like spms with controversial taxonomic status.

_____

Function: cf. cerebral pressure fluctuations during diving??
Comparisons with apes, australopiths, H.erectus, ...?