Two percent of zero is almost nothing.

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: Fur trade 400 kya

SubjectAuthor
* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
+* Fur trade 400 kyaMarc Verhaegen
|+- Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|`* Fur trade 400 kyaJTEM is so reasonable
| `* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|  `* Fur trade 400 kyaMarc Verhaegen
|   +* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|   |`* Fur trade 400 kyaMarc Verhaegen
|   | `- Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|   `* Fur trade 400 kyaJTEM is so reasonable
|    `* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|     +* Fur trade 400 kyaMarc Verhaegen
|     |`* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|     | `* Fur trade 400 kyaMarc Verhaegen
|     |  `* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|     |   `* Fur trade 400 kyaMarc Verhaegen
|     |    `* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|     |     `* Fur trade 400 kyaMarc Verhaegen
|     |      `* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|     |       +* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|     |       |`- Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|     |       `* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|     |        `- Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|     `* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
|      `- Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
`* Fur trade 400 kyaPrimum Sapienti
 `* Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic
  `- Fur trade 400 kyaMario Petrinovic

Pages:12
Re: Fur trade 400 kya

<ujs398$2n5u0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18596&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18596

From: invalide@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Re: Fur trade 400 kya
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 23:12:53 -0700
 by: Primum Sapienti - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 06:12 UTC

Mario Petrinovic wrote:
> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-46956-6
>
>         This is *exactly* what I think people were doing there. Just like
> only 200 years ago. Nothing has changed:
> https://youtu.be/LSmtV83vhhM?si=qbwO4IK3poTOEvhA
>         Of course, fur trade would imply highly developed societies,
> because there should be big market for fur trade, there should be trading
> routes (for salt, of course), and absolutely everything else. Just because
> people recently started to use ground stone tools, which allowed people to
> cut trees, which allowed making fires with higher temperature, which
> allowed for ceramics, and consequently smelting of metals, just because all
> this happened it doesn't mean that people before that time were much
> different. It just means that the ground stone tools allowed them to expand
> technology, because of fires with higher temperature, nothing more. Except
> for that people weren't much different before that.

Good catch.

Beaver exploitation, 400,000 years ago, testifies to
prey choice diversity of Middle Pleistocene hominins

Abstract
Data regarding the subsistence base of early
hominins are heavily biased in favor of the
animal component of their diets, in particular
the remains of large mammals, which are generally
much better preserved at archaeological sites than
the bones of smaller animals, let alone the
remains of plant food. Exploitation of smaller
game is very rarely documented before the latest
phases of the Pleistocene, which is often taken
to imply narrow diets of archaic Homo and
interpreted as a striking economic difference
between Late Pleistocene and earlier hominins.
We present new data that contradict this view of
Middle Pleistocene Lower Palaeolithic hominins:
cut mark evidence demonstrating systematic
exploitation of beavers, identified in the large
faunal assemblage from the c. 400,000 years old
hominin site Bilzingsleben, in central Germany.
In combination with a prime-age dominated mortality
profile, this cut mark record shows that the rich
beaver assemblage resulted from repetitive human
hunting activities, with a focus on young adult
individuals. The Bilzingsleben beaver exploitation
evidence demonstrates a greater diversity of prey
choice by Middle Pleistocene hominins than
commonly acknowledged, and a much deeper history
of broad-spectrum subsistence than commonly
assumed, already visible in prey choices 400,000
years ago.

Hunting was broad spectrum and moving into different
climes demanded it.

Re: Fur trade 400 kya

<ujse3s$ees$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18601&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18601

From: mario.petrinovic1@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 10:17:49 +0100
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 09:17 UTC

On 25.11.2023. 7:12, Primum Sapienti wrote:
> Mario Petrinovic wrote:
>> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-46956-6
>>
>>          This is *exactly* what I think people were doing there. Just
>> like only 200 years ago. Nothing has changed:
>> https://youtu.be/LSmtV83vhhM?si=qbwO4IK3poTOEvhA
>>          Of course, fur trade would imply highly developed societies,
>> because there should be big market for fur trade, there should be
>> trading routes (for salt, of course), and absolutely everything else.
>> Just because people recently started to use ground stone tools, which
>> allowed people to cut trees, which allowed making fires with higher
>> temperature, which allowed for ceramics, and consequently smelting of
>> metals, just because all this happened it doesn't mean that people
>> before that time were much different. It just means that the ground
>> stone tools allowed them to expand technology, because of fires with
>> higher temperature, nothing more. Except for that people weren't much
>> different before that.
>
> Good catch.
>
> Beaver exploitation, 400,000 years ago, testifies to
> prey choice diversity of Middle Pleistocene hominins
>
> Abstract
> Data regarding the subsistence base of early
> hominins are heavily biased in favor of the
> animal component of their diets, in particular
> the remains of large mammals, which are generally
> much better preserved at archaeological sites than
> the bones of smaller animals, let alone the
> remains of plant food. Exploitation of smaller
> game is very rarely documented before the latest
> phases of the Pleistocene, which is often taken
> to imply narrow diets of archaic Homo and
> interpreted as a striking economic difference
> between Late Pleistocene and earlier hominins.
> We present new data that contradict this view of
> Middle Pleistocene Lower Palaeolithic hominins:
> cut mark evidence demonstrating systematic
> exploitation of beavers, identified in the large
> faunal assemblage from the c. 400,000 years old
> hominin site Bilzingsleben, in central Germany.
> In combination with a prime-age dominated mortality
> profile, this cut mark record shows that the rich
> beaver assemblage resulted from repetitive human
> hunting activities, with a focus on young adult
> individuals. The Bilzingsleben beaver exploitation
> evidence demonstrates a greater diversity of prey
> choice by Middle Pleistocene hominins than
> commonly acknowledged, and a much deeper history
> of broad-spectrum subsistence than commonly
> assumed, already visible in prey choices 400,000
> years ago.
>
> Hunting was broad spectrum and moving into different
> climes demanded it.

As I remember, Homo erectus in Africa used only few species, while
Neanderthals used all the species he could find. This pattern equals
animal husbandry in Africa, and hunting in Europe.

Re: Fur trade 400 kya

<ujsoqk$meq$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18603&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18603

From: mario.petrinovic1@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 13:20:37 +0100
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:20 UTC

On 25.11.2023. 12:59, Marc Verhaegen wrote:
> Op zaterdag 25 november 2023 om 10:17:51 UTC+1 schreef Mario Petrinovic:
>> As I remember,
>
> :-DDD

Unlike me, you don't have anything to remember, my dear boy.