From: invalide@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Brains of newborns are not underdeveloped, just appears so since so
much growth is post birth
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:22:20 -0700
 by: Primum Sapienti - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 05:22 UTC

Popular press article...

https://scitechdaily.com/rethinking-evolution-the-surprising-truth-about-newborn-brain-development/
Rethinking Evolution: The Surprising Truth
About Newborn Brain Development

A UCL study reveals human newborns’ brains are
similarly developed to other primates at birth,
with significant growth occurring post-birth,
challenging previous notions about human brain
development and evolution.

Contrary to current understanding, the brains
of human newborns aren’t significantly less
developed compared to other primate species,
but appear so because so much brain development
happens after birth, finds a new study led by
University College London (UCL) researchers.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-023-02262-y
Human altriciality is driven by postnatal brain growth

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-023-02253-z
The evolution of human altriciality and brain
development in comparative context

Re: Brains of newborns are not underdeveloped, just appears so since so much growth is post birth

<a54acfe6-6d05-4004-be72-14f2c3457a73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18647&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18647

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:00:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Brains of newborns are not underdeveloped, just appears so since
so much growth is post birth
From: daud.deden@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 06:00 UTC

On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 12:22:26 AM UTC-5, Primum Sapienti wrote:
> Popular press article...
>
> https://scitechdaily.com/rethinking-evolution-the-surprising-truth-about-newborn-brain-development/
> Rethinking Evolution: The Surprising Truth
> About Newborn Brain Development
>
> A UCL study reveals human newborns’ brains are
> similarly developed to other primates at birth,
> with significant growth occurring post-birth,
> challenging previous notions about human brain
> development and evolution.
>
> Contrary to current understanding, the brains
> of human newborns aren’t significantly less
> developed compared to other primate species,
> but appear so because so much brain development
> happens after birth, finds a new study led by
> University College London (UCL) researchers.
>

> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-023-02262-y
> Human altriciality is driven by postnatal brain growth
>

> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-023-02253-z
> The evolution of human altriciality and brain
> development in comparative context

Thanks, interesting. What allowed super-altricial development in our particular hominoid lineage? Clearly association with open water, but even more so, domestic dependence on terrestrial transportable secure sheltering of bands and their young, enabling survival and expansion worldwide.

Re: Brains of newborns are not underdeveloped, just appears so since so much growth is post birth

<5c96528f-bb9b-4e42-ac21-5917f0ef3ddan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18648&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18648

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:15:04 -0800 (PST)
so much growth is post birth
From: daud.deden@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 06:15 UTC

On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 1:00:54 AM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
> On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 12:22:26 AM UTC-5, Primum Sapienti wrote:
> > Popular press article...
> >
> > https://scitechdaily.com/rethinking-evolution-the-surprising-truth-about-newborn-brain-development/
> > Rethinking Evolution: The Surprising Truth
> > About Newborn Brain Development
> >
> > A UCL study reveals human newborns’ brains are
> > similarly developed to other primates at birth,
> > with significant growth occurring post-birth,
> > challenging previous notions about human brain
> > development and evolution.
> >
> > Contrary to current understanding, the brains
> > of human newborns aren’t significantly less
> > developed compared to other primate species,
> > but appear so because so much brain development
> > happens after birth, finds a new study led by
> > University College London (UCL) researchers.
> >

> > https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-023-02262-y
> > Human altriciality is driven by postnatal brain growth
> >

> > https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-023-02253-z
> > The evolution of human altriciality and brain
> > development in comparative context
> Thanks, interesting. What allowed super-altricial development in our particular hominoid lineage? Clearly association with open water, but even more so, domestic dependence on terrestrial transportable secure sheltering of bands and their young, enabling survival and expansion worldwide.

Btw, just so's you know's, I'll be at https://groups.io/g/1WorldofWords my "group" where I write my speculations on human evolution especially domestic & linguistic patterns distinct from our hominoid kin.
DD