From: invalide@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Re: H.erectus s.s. were molluscivorous.
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 23:19:53 -0700
 by: Primum Sapienti - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 06:19 UTC

Marc Verhaegen wrote:
> Brian Switek 2011 "Written in Stone" Icon books p.169:
> "... ribs of Indohyus and Pakicetus show just this kind of bone

We are not whales nor even short limbed obligate quadrupeds...

restructuring. The development of bone ballast preceded other aquatic
adaptations, but it had a trade-off. As the bones in the limbs and ribs of
these animals became denser they would have become more brittle. Running on
land with heavy, brittle bones would have been more energetically expensive
and even risky, thus providing another reason for these animals to spend
more time in the water ..."

> H.erectus s.s. fossils are found in coastal sediments, amid shellfish,
corals, barnacles etc. Their sekeletons were pachyosteosclerotic. They
used stone tools. They colonised oversea islands. Their brains were twice
as large as those of australopiths & apes. They had ear exostoses. Their
teeth showed micro-wear caused by sand & processing of molluscs. They made
shell-engravings. ...

https://www.gondwanatalks.com/l/the-waterside-hypothesis-wading-led-to-upright-walking-in-early-humans/