From: HenHanna@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: English: "Miss"
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 00:03:28 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 00:03 UTC

(PTD sighting)

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 11:30:06 AM UTC-4, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>> From a report of the UK's Air Accidents Investigation Branch:
>>
>> The operator had suspended operations for several months due to
>> Covid-19 restrictions, and prior to the incident flight the
>> reservation system from which the load sheet was produced had
>> been upgraded. There was a fault in the system which, when a
>> female passenger checked in for the flight and used or was given
>> the title ‘Miss’, caused the system checked her in as a child.
>> The system allocated them a child’s standard weight of 35 kg as
>> opposed to the correct female standard weight of 69 kg. Consequently,
>> with 38 females checked in incorrectly and misidentified as
>> children, the G-TAWG takeoff mass from the load sheet was 1,244 kg
>> below the actual mass of the aircraft.

>> The incident occurred due to a simple flaw in the programming of
>> the IT system, which was due to the meaning of the title ‘Miss’
>> being interpreted by the system as a child and not an adult female.
>> This was because in the country where the system was programmed,
>> Miss is a child and Ms is an adult female.

> What country might that be? India?

> In what country are women automatically labeled "Miss"?

>> https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/604f423be90e077fdf88493f/Boeing_737-8K5_G-TAWG_04-21.pdf

Re: English: "Miss"

<87le675z1b.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18683&group=sci.lang#18683

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 17:18:24 +0000
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 17:18 UTC

Ar an ceathrú lá is fiche de mí Márta, scríobh HenHanna:

> Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>
> > On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 11:30:06 AM UTC-4, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> >> From a report of the UK's Air Accidents Investigation Branch:
> >>
> >> The operator had suspended operations for several months due to Covid-19
> >> restrictions, and prior to the incident flight the reservation system from
> >> which the load sheet was produced had been upgraded. There was a fault in
> >> the system which, when a female passenger checked in for the flight and used
> >> or was given the title ‘Miss’, caused the system checked her in as a
> >> child. The system allocated them a child’s standard weight of 35 kg as
> >> opposed to the correct female standard weight of 69 kg. Consequently, with
> >> 38 females checked in incorrectly and misidentified as children, the G-TAWG
> >> takeoff mass from the load sheet was 1,244 kg below the actual mass of the
> >> aircraft.

> >> The incident occurred due to a simple flaw in the programming of the IT
> >> system, which was due to the meaning of the title ‘Miss’ being interpreted
> >> by the system as a child and not an adult female. This was because in the
> >> country where the system was programmed, Miss is a child and Ms is an adult
> >> female.
>
> > What country might that be? India?
>
> > In what country are women automatically labeled "Miss"?

The women labeled themselves “Miss” in this case. It’s very very unusual not to
require a date of birth for passengers when booking and checking in, in my
experience, why was that not used?!

I hadn’t realised my preference for Dr as a title in this and other contexts (I
don’t have my MRCSI) might have implications for calculated fuel load!

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’