Being schizophrenic is better than living alone.

tech / sci.lang / Re: National Pencil Day (30 March)

SubjectAuthor
* National Pencil Day (30 March)Ross Clark
`* Re: National Pencil Day (30 March)Athel Cornish-Bowden
 +* Re: National Pencil Day (30 March)Aidan Kehoe
 |`- Re: National Pencil Day (30 March)Christian Weisgerber
 `- Re: National Pencil Day (30 March)Antonio Marques

1
National Pencil Day (30 March)

<uuhpgu$3dpo4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18814&group=sci.lang#18814

From: benlizro@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: National Pencil Day (30 March)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:23:53 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:23 UTC

Sorry, I got behind. Too late for you to celebrate.

(1) I like pencils. I rejoice when I find one, among the heaps of dead
and dying ballpoint pens, in the kitchen. I can use it to add something
to the shopping list. If the point's broken or dull, I have a little
pencil sharpener that can fix it. Old tech, still works. Pencil keeps on
working until it's...gone!

(2) First appears in English ca.1350 meaning a small fine-tipped paint
brush. (Its closest cognate is French pinceau, which still means 'paint
brush'.) The device we now know as a "pencil" was invented in the 16th
century, and the earliest attestations use expressions like "pencil of
black lead" -- the graphite came from Borrowdale (Cumbria), and was at
first mistaken for a lead ore.

(3) Etymology: Not related to "pen" (Latin penna 'feather').
But related to "penis" (Latin pe:nis 'tail', pe:nicillum 'paint brush').

Re: National Pencil Day (30 March)

<l74fkvF2123U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18818&group=sci.lang#18818

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: National Pencil Day (30 March)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:43:34 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:43 UTC

On 2024-04-02 20:23:53 +0000, Ross Clark said:

> Sorry, I got behind. Too late for you to celebrate.
>
> (1) I like pencils. I rejoice when I find one, among the heaps of dead
> and dying ballpoint pens,

I'm the reverse. We have masses of pencils that I never want to use,
but if I want a ballpoint that works I can't find one. From time to
time I buy a set of four at the supermarket and within a short time
they all go wherever ballpoints go. I have a fountain pen that I used
during the early days of Covid, but I haven't used it for a long time
-- getting too old, 81 today.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: National Pencil Day (30 March)

<87bk6qqvgn.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18823&group=sci.lang#18823

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 17:09:28 +0100
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 16:09 UTC

Ar an triú lá de mí Aibreán, scríobh Athel Cornish-Bowden:

> On 2024-04-02 20:23:53 +0000, Ross Clark said:
>
> > [...] (1) I like pencils. I rejoice when I find one, among the heaps of
> > dead and dying ballpoint pens,
>
> I'm the reverse. We have masses of pencils that I never want to use, but if
> I want a ballpoint that works I can't find one. From time to time I buy a
> set of four at the supermarket and within a short time they all go wherever
> ballpoints go. I have a fountain pen that I used during the early days of
> Covid, but I haven't used it for a long time -- getting too old, 81 today.

I enthusiastically recommend gel pens. Less force needed to write than with the
usual ballpoint, less messy than fountain pens. I tend to buy 100 Pentel
Energel pens and three times that many refills at a time, but then they’re a
legitimate business expense, you may not need to be that ridiculous. And when
they die, it’s a short lived affair, so the motivation to swap out the refill
immediately is fairly immediate and strong.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’

Re: National Pencil Day (30 March)

<slrnv0rea6.3rq.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18828&group=sci.lang#18828

From: naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:17:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:17 UTC

On 2024-04-03, Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> wrote:

> I enthusiastically recommend gel pens. Less force needed to write than with the
> usual ballpoint, less messy than fountain pens.

Some thirty years ago, I think, when I was still writing a lot by
hand, I switched to rollerball pens and I have stuck with them
since. Writing feels a lot more fluid with them than with traditional
ballpoints. Fountain pens--the cartridge-based ones, I'm not THAT
old--were enforced in school, and as soon as the teachers stopped
caring, students switched en masse to different writing implements.

Wikipedia tells me that rollerballs come in two different types:
liquid ink pens and gel ink pens. The latter match your recommendation,
I guess. I think mine are of the liquid ink variety.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: National Pencil Day (30 March)

<uuld0s$f6ao$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18834&group=sci.lang#18834

From: no_email@invalid.invalid (Antonio Marques)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 05:15:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:H68NdDZEy3khzlgSY0bcYb7TST4=
 by: Antonio Marques - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 05:15 UTC

Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2024-04-02 20:23:53 +0000, Ross Clark said:
>
>> Sorry, I got behind. Too late for you to celebrate.
>>
>> (1) I like pencils. I rejoice when I find one, among the heaps of dead
>> and dying ballpoint pens,
>
> I'm the reverse. We have masses of pencils that I never want to use,
> but if I want a ballpoint that works I can't find one. From time to
> time I buy a set of four at the supermarket and within a short time
> they all go wherever ballpoints go. I have a fountain pen that I used
> during the early days of Covid, but I haven't used it for a long time
> -- getting too old, 81 today.

That's altogether too many years for a pen to still be usable.

I used to like both pens and pencils. And I like gel pens a lot.